PDA

View Full Version : Exporting weight maps to LW

Xorlium
09-05-2004, 12:40 AM
I know this probably has been asked a few thousand times, but I didn't find it. Is there a way to "export" the weights from messiah into LW?
You know, you model a char in LW, place bones in messiah, and export weights to LW, so you can use LW tools to animate...

Don't flame me if it's trivial (for example, if there's a button that says: "export weight maps to LW"), I don't own messiah yet (hehe), but I've read a lot about it... and I've seen the wonderful way bones work on the videos at projectmessiah.com

Thanks... ;)

jamesvanderbeek
09-05-2004, 01:48 AM
I don't think that you can do this, I assume that you mean exporting the bone influence in messiah to lightwave weight maps. But I fail to understand why you would need this? the whole reason you would buy messiah is to use its wonderful animation tools and by doing this you would also lose another advantage of messiah and that's being able to adjust the rig on the fly even after you've fully animated it.

correct me if I'm wrong, I've only used the demo, but this is what I've gathered so far.

james

ljilekor
09-05-2004, 12:37 PM
Working on a plugin that does the inverse.
LLS_LWWeightImport : LWWeights to Messiah Weights.

Could present a sollution for your problem as long as you only use LWWeights to rig your character. You can then Xport bone motions to LW and use their native weights. Deformation 'should' match.

But indeed it's pretty useless.
U should use messiah in combination with the LWModeler.
Rigging in LWLayout sucks big time!

Gwot
09-05-2004, 03:43 PM
I would definitely use a messiah weights to LW weights plugin. With something like this, along with bone transform export to LW I'd be using it right now to animate game characters for an upcoming project. The final output has to be from LW, so nobody here cares what I use to rig/animate with. I'm currently using Motion Builder, simply because it's somewhat easier to do this. Though I still need to weight in LW with MB. A plugin such as this could help make messiah much more appealing for game work - at least for pipelines where the work has to come from the host app. I need to learn to program. =]

Xorlium
09-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Well, I'm not sure why would you want to do what I'm saying, but hey, I haven't used messiah yet :)

Thing is, I read somewhere that messiah used point displacement instead of true bone deformation, so you couldn't adjust characters inside LW that you animated with Messiah...

And I think LW character toolset is very good, btw...

Sil3
09-05-2004, 09:44 PM
And I think LW character toolset is very good, btw...
hummm????? :surprised

:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.