PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon and XSI

dotTom
09-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know if Gnomon Workshop will ever turn their tallents and production quality to Softimage|XSI? Does Gnomon's coverage of Maya reflect pure market numbers, Alex Alvarez personal choice or some kind of stategic relationship with Alias?

Though the wages of sin I find myself lucky enough to have both Maya 6 and XSI 4, but I miss having Gnomon on my side to cover XSI. I've yet to find anything that goes into the depth that Gnomon does on the XSI front. Sure there's 3D Turorials and Ed Harris etc, but with the greatest of respect, Gnomon seem to give their instructors the time and space to *really* cover a subject.

SheepFactory
09-04-2004, 05:59 PM
I spoke with Alex at siggraph about this and he seemed interested. They might do some in the future but i dont know anything official.

I am sure with the increase in user base we'll see more and more XSI training.

RayenD
09-04-2004, 06:51 PM
I only have seen rigging series from 3D tutorials and they are the same level as the best Gnomon stuff for maya covering the same topic. This + production DVD covers most common (and not so common) used techniques in XSI when it comes to rigging. It stops at level when only you thing you really need are your own methods and practices which you won't learn from any DVDs. Also after watching and understanding those two you will be able to transfer everything you know from maya to XSI.

If that doesn't _really_ cover the subject, I think you need to ask Michael Isner or Adam Sale for personal training.

I don't know how good others are, but people say subdivision modelling one is great and I can imagine "Production Tips" should be good too considering the author.

Anyway, Gnomon stuff for XSI would be good addition for people who learn the software.

AlexAlvarez
09-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Hello.

Interesting timing on this post...
Gnomon just had a meeting with Softimage last week, and I will begin evaluating the software once I get my license next week. This does not definitatively mean anything, but I've heard many positive things about XSI lately. Several of the character related features that I saw in the meeting were very cool... several things that I wish Maya could do.

As far as whether or not we will begin training on XSI or not remains to be seen, and there is no timeframe... but that is the current state of things.

-Alex

dotTom
09-05-2004, 04:44 AM
Hello.

Interesting timing on this post...
Gnomon just had a meeting with Softimage last week, and I will begin evaluating the software once I get my license next week. This does not definitatively mean anything, but I've heard many positive things about XSI lately. Several of the character related features that I saw in the meeting were very cool... several things that I wish Maya could do.

As far as whether or not we will begin training on XSI or not remains to be seen, and there is no timeframe... but that is the current state of things.

-Alex
Very cool Alex, I understand this doesn't commit Gnomon to anything but it's interesting none the less. Given the depth of your Maya coverage I'd assumed (wrongly it would seem) that you had some kind of exclusivity agreement with Alias on the 3D front.

Atyss
09-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Sure there's 3D Turorials and Ed Harris etc, but with the greatest of respect, Gnomon seem to give their instructors the time and space to *really* cover a subject.
Interesting. What do you feel is not covered enough with the 3dtutorial videos?

Thanks
Bernard

3dtutorial
09-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Sounds cool to me.

Plenty of room for everyone as far as I am concerned and I'm sure if Gnomon does go down this road that they will produce great material.

The truth is that 3dtutorial.com can't do it all, XSI is too deep and we simply can't cover every topic -- well, not without some major comprimise to our quality standards; and I'm not about to do that. So I am quite happy to see other quality educational producers join in because it helps to fill some of the gaps.

Cheers,

Joe

mr Bob
09-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Gnomon dvds are out standing they cover the nitty gritty of maya in great detail , and it would be fantastic if they started producing learning dvds. as for missing learning content with 3d tutorial

rendering with MR in detail , scripting , particle systems , dynamics , animation , deformers the list could go on , i doubt joe could cover it all he works 24 7 ....and does what he can finding the right artists must be hard .

B

pappuftp
09-06-2004, 07:03 AM
we all understand that Alex ( who produces the best training dvds on this planet .. ) may or may not produce training material for XSI .. but how abt inducing him to seriously consider ?

That should go a long way onto solving one of the fundamental problems of any complex software.. Solid training to be up and abt in no time.. timkering on ur own is fine.. but with the hustel bustle of the cg world.. finding time to tinker is getting harder n harder

maybe we can start a poll ?

My vote is - Yes I would ike to see XSI dvds from gnomon...

dotTom
09-06-2004, 08:29 AM
I second that vote. Frankly I'd cut off my right arm to get Gnomon to do XSI. What I love about their Maya|Analoge stuff is the depth into which they go on a given subject - plus, and I know this may sound naff, I like to see the instructor sometimes - if you're struggling with the idiosyncrasies of a particular feature actually seeing a face occasionally rather than a disembodied voice and spectral mouse cursor helps a lot, especially if like me you're doing this 100% on your own and your contact with fellow obsessionals is through CGTalk only. Alex, do not stop at "ponder", go straight to "produce".

JDex
09-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Poll???

Simple enough.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=167760

dotTom
09-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Poll???

Simple enough.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=167760
Why on earth would anyone vote No? Assuming that is they're not already in the tutorial biz.

JDex
09-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Well if the only options were yes, then it would not be a poll.

Foyle
09-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Interesting. What do you feel is not covered enough with the 3dtutorial videos?

Thanks
Bernard

Well, I for one would prefer to watch their programs on my mac laptop or on another machine other than my production machine. Their propriatary player might be more secure than say, Quicktime, but it's really inconvenient for anything other than committed study sessions while sitting at the box.

It would be nice to follow along in XSI or study away from the workstation. I bought several of their *excellent* modelling courses a few months back and admittedly haven't resumed because I tend to glass over in my chair after a day of work...

As for Gnomon, I've considered getting some of their drawing programs to brush up on my fundamentals, but I would definitely grab any XSI programs should any become available.

-Foyle

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.