PDA

View Full Version : Some Rig Questions Why not uses bone rotation ?

T4D
09-04-2004, 02:16 PM
Love the XSI rigging system but i got a few Questions about the rigging in XSI

When using a 2d Ik chain on the arms why not uses the Upper arm bones Z rotation to control the elbow position ?
i come From Lightwave and uses this in there, any reason why i shouldn't in XSI ?

there alot of cool expression and Constrains on the rigs
in Lightwave these can slow the system down
do these effect the speed in XSI at any time ? i havn't seen it yet but i better ask:thumbsup:

any problems with setting a new bone length and position on the primitive rig to set a setting a reference pose and then attaching the model ?

the character tools look amazing but is there anything that is truly special that can't be setup manually ??

Sil3
09-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Love the XSI rigging system but i got a few Questions about the rigging in XSI

When using a 2d Ik chain on the arms why not uses the Upper arm bones Z rotation to control the elbow position ?
i come From Lightwave and uses this in there, any reason why i shouldn't in XSI ?

U can move your chain by using the IK or rotating the Bones, so u can use it, but together with the IK/FK slider to. Best way is always to use an UpVector :)

there alot of cool expression and Constrains on the rigs
in Lightwave these can slow the system down
do these effect the speed in XSI at any time ? i havn't seen it yet but i better ask:thumbsup:
The Expressions and Constraints on the default XSI rig wont slow down XSI like a regular rig slows LW down, dont worry about it, but test it, create a couple of rigs and animate them.

any problems with setting a new bone length and position on the primitive rig to set a setting a reference pose and then attaching the model ?
Didnīt understood this one, sorry

the character tools look amazing but is there anything that is truly special that can't be setup manually ??If u are refering to the type of control u have with the Default rig, nope, u can do all that manually :applause:

T4D
09-04-2004, 02:47 PM
3/ Didnīt understood this one, sorry

4/ If u are refering to the type of control u have with the Default rig, nope, u can do all that manually :applause:

3/ Can you edit the primitive rig's size and shape to fit a character by just editing the bone positions and length then setting a reference pose and then attaching the model ?

the character tools look as if you edit the Special Character tool rig and give tons of options different shoulder setups adding tails etc but if you only have a human type model with short arms can you just adjust the bones in the primitive rig to fit
then the rest bones
then attach model ?

4/ can you add the belly and floppy ears effect the bones ?

Sil3
09-04-2004, 02:58 PM
The workflow is to use the Biped Guide and adjust it to fit your character, takes u less than 5 minutes to adjust the Biped Guide, when everything is done, just press Rig from Biped Guide.

This rig is exactly the same concept that ACS for LW is, didnīt u made some autorigs to for LW to?

T4D
09-04-2004, 03:13 PM
yes i do make Lightwave rigging plugins :)
i will be adding afew cool XSI ideas to it very soon :thumbsup:

this XSI stuff is super

Sil3
09-04-2004, 03:32 PM
yes i do make Lightwave rigging plugins :)
i will be adding afew cool XSI ideas to it very soon :thumbsup:

this XSI stuff is superWaiting for them :)

Yah XSI stuff is amazing, but sometimes people only say they dont need features and tools like this because they already have everything they need on other packages, might be true, but certantly not on the LW side :) When they try new tools and get used to them, they only wish they had changed or added those tools to their pipeline sooner hehehe.

chikega
09-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Hey Antonio,

I bought Foundation and I'm going through the DVD's - it's interesting how one can parent an effector to the beginning of a chain, very cool stuff indeed. :)

Gwot
09-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi T4D, welcome to the XSI fold! Loved your plugins for LW, and I'm looking forward to see what you can do with XSI. It's a rigger's dream!

T4D
09-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Hi T4D, welcome to the XSI fold! Loved your plugins for LW, and I'm looking forward to see what you can do with XSI. It's a rigger's dream!
well there's no need for rigging plugins in XSI that's for sure:thumbsup:

just need to pull myself away from XSI to go back to LW to finish V2.1 which is extemely hard, but i better do it this week before i really get sucked into XSI world :D

everything is done so much better in XSI but I'm so glad i got the 5 DVD with it,
it's a deep program and would be hard without em, but with them, i'm pretty much up and running :bounce:

one thing that i do like that i didn't know when i was a lightwaver
is that XSI works without bone weights as LW does
But the editing and adding them where needed is SO well done,
you couldn't dream a better way of doing it, and the rig speed and amazing :bowdown:

Hydra
09-05-2004, 09:09 AM
I love the way you can work with weighting/bones in a nondestructive way.. So speeding up and letting yourself make screwups here and there while tweaking works like a charm.

(offtopic, forgot what I was supposed to write while reading the replys)

Sil3
09-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Hey Antonio,

I bought Foundation and I'm going through the DVD's - it's interesting how one can parent an effector to the beginning of a chain, very cool stuff indeed. :)
:)

Pay special attention to the Animation Mixer and droooool..... :love:

T4D
09-06-2004, 05:38 AM
:)

Pay special attention to the Animation Mixer and droooool..... :love:
i think the best thing to do in XSI is forget everything in you last 3D app
in XSI the features really do work in everyway they should
( this + that & adding this, then doing this, really does work the way it should )

with other 3D apps you do this :banghead: after a long setup or even this :cry:
in XSI you do this :applause: and even this :bowdown:

I have had the XSI disappear to the task bar when i do silly things ( and just max it to get the view back ) but i havn't had a full crash and lost my work yet ...
I'm thinking the Crash will happen soon every app has to crash at some point........ :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.