PDA

View Full Version : Grass rendering, plz help!

mthemelis
09-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi all,

i am working on an architectural project for my school and i need to render plan views of a building as well as its exterior.

there are some grass spaces on the exterior and i want to find out what is the best way of doing this. (rendering with mr for maya)

i don't want to use just a grass texture because the render comes out like grass tiles
what can i do to make it look more realistic??

use

1) fur ---> grass (with textured density?)

2) grass shader

2.1) blend two different grass textures? (with what blender?)
2.2)work with ramps?(need help here!)

any help will be appreciated

thanks in advance,
mike

GennadiyKorol
09-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Instead of fur you could use paint effects converted to polygons to render them with mental ray.

Soyseitan
09-05-2004, 08:48 AM
If Maya's Mental Ray crashes when painting large fields of grass (converted paintFX), you should only make just 1 or 2 different grassstrokes, not to complex and big, convert those to polygons and use the Instancer to duplicate these grasspieces to make a whole field. Should work nicely.

i-d
09-05-2004, 01:02 PM
I would try a grass shader first and pfx/fur on
places where its needed (closeups).
For grass shader try a combination of procedural
textures, theres some great examples on highend.

mthemelis
09-05-2004, 01:51 PM
thanks for the reply guys!

i tried to create a grass shader by blending two different grass textures but i am not satisfied with the result.

any suggestions for which blending method i should choose?
tried noise and fractal.

pfx converted to mesh needs a lot of memmory since the grass area is big enough.

with hair it renders ok but i don't know how to create a random grass color (per hair)
perhaps texture color?
(sorry for my bad english, hope you understand this)

thanks again
mike

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.