PDA

View Full Version : how to install the dotxsi for max6?

huijiao2001
09-04-2004, 12:05 PM
the plugin is here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=40241&package_id=32639&release_id=205314

how to install?

JDex
09-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Well, it's for Max4, so it may not work.

But I imagine that you download the zip file, extract the files within it using the decompression app of choice (winXP has built in function)... and run the .exe file that is extracted.

But I have not done it...

Chances are that there is a file inside the zip file that has instructions, perhaps a readme.txt file that will explain what to do.

huijiao2001
09-05-2004, 05:50 AM
no,it is for max6.there is not readme .txt in the zip but only bin and src fold.

robinb
09-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Download the bin zip. Open it. Extract the DLE file to the 3dsmax6\plugins folder. This is where all dll plugins usually live (the last letter is renamed to 'e' to tell you it's an 'export' plugin. You could also put it in the stdplugs folder, but that's usually reserved for plugins that come with max.

I haven't done this, but that's usually how plugins are installed in max. Although usually there would be a readme file to explain that.

Hope it works. I'll give it a try myself later, I've just been using obj to transfer data.

huijiao2001
09-07-2004, 02:08 PM
can dotxsi only convert .max into softimage file?how to convert softimage file into max?

robinb
09-07-2004, 05:28 PM
That I don't know. I only tried exporting max data to EXP. I haven't got the full version so can't export .xsi files (I don't think).

It exported animated geometry and it has options for things like bones, but didn't seem to export my camera and light. I don't know what parts of a scene it's supposed to export. I didn't read through the web page.

If you want to go the other way, you might want to look at the Kaydara FBX format.

http://www.kaydara.com/downloads/other/index.php

Or if it's just geometry you want to export from XSI to max, then OBJ format works pretty well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.