PDA

View Full Version : XSI Foundation 4.0 shipping shocker!!

ub52
09-04-2004, 06:34 AM
Well, I received my XSI 4.0 package via UPS on Monday 08/30 and have been very pleased. Imagine my shock though when I got home late this evening and on checking my snail mail I find a piece from UPS with a $21.00 charge for what they call an "Entry Prep Fee". I immediately emailed Avid about this and obviously haven't heard anything yet from them. This has got me wondering though if any of you living here in the US who have recevied your shipments have gotten a similar charge like this from UPS.

Cheers,
ub52

Northchild
09-04-2004, 06:38 AM
No worries, I got the exact same ~ $20 charge from UPS. I think it's related to customs.

JDex
09-04-2004, 06:50 AM
Don't believe there should be a customs charge for US customers... there hasn't been in the past.

Northchild
09-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Looks like UPS owes me 20 bucks then. ;)

JDex
09-04-2004, 07:10 AM
Don't take it as gospel... I could be wrong... maybe it's a Homeland Security charge or something. :shrug:

tredeger
09-04-2004, 02:29 PM
There is a notice of such possible fees posted somewhere in the ordering process if you bought from the Soft store. It is something that is out of there hands. That having been said, as far as I know, there shouldn't be a fee to U.S. I made my purchase this way and did not get charged (at least I don't think I did) an extra fee. I did choose the cheapest shipping option so this might have been a factor. Btw, I recommend almost always going with the cheapest option. Short of absolute overnight delivery, it is almost always as fast as the more expensive options. If you are within 2 zones of the location from which the package is shipped (you can find out through the shipping co.'s website), your package will likely take the exact same route on the same truck regardless of how much you pay for a particular option.
If you pay more, you aren't that likely to get more--if they are going to have an unexpected or unavoidable delay in your package, it will happen whether you choose express or regular and you'll only get back the money you would have saved in the first place.
If you pay less, you may well get more, in so far as the package may well travel with the express packages anyway and get there just as fast (they aren't in the business of delaying your package just because you chose to ship regular).
This has been my experience.

FB_Turbine
09-04-2004, 02:45 PM
I got this also, I emailed Avid and have yet to hear back. I'd did call UPS and they told me that the "shipper elected not to pay all the shipping charges" and that I was responsible for the $21 prep fee. They also said that this charge relates to ground service, if an item is shipped AIR the fee is part of the basic charge to the shipper, but is separated from the default charge when ground shipping is used. I'm looking to hear something back from Avid first, but this seems to something that will have to be paid. UPS actually said I was "lucky" that all I owed was the default minimum of $21 since I didn't know about the charge before hand. I found that comment pretty insulting. I can't remember the shipping costs but I wonder if 2nd day air might have been cheaper if we had known about the prep fee.

JDex
09-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Actually, I just ordered a few days ago, and the difference was exactly $21 if I'm not mistaken.

coryc
09-04-2004, 04:45 PM
They also said that this charge relates to ground service, if an item is shipped AIR the fee is part of the basic charge to the shipper, but is separated from the default charge when ground shipping is used.
I received mine yesterday, shipped ground, with no extra fees due. Just a box in a plastic bag by the side door.

Devenish
10-19-2004, 05:57 AM
It’s now a month after I received my XSI package a $21 charge arrives in the mail from UPS. HAHAHAHAH we never signed anything with UPS to agree on charges to such charges and we didn’t negotiate the shipping fees, AVID did and those are the prices we paid on the invoice completing the transaction to AVID. (Note you never selected any other service like COD etc.)

AVID now hires UPS service to deliver the package, but best guess someone knows about miss pricing of shipping and ignorer’s it in fear of canceled/rejected orders. This way they (UPS) is scrambling to probably collect money on their mistake to accept a package from AVID for that price and figure it would be easier to get from us. So unless you signed something agreeing to these fees’s or services (Delivery Receipt Doesn’t Count) best bet they are out $21.

Sorry for my rant! But I just had to get it out :rolleyes:

Rabid pitbull
10-19-2004, 06:03 AM
It is a us customs fee call ups, I did and they waived the fee since I was unaware of this extra cost.

Vertizor
10-19-2004, 05:28 PM
Next time, tap you're local reseller.

policarpo
10-19-2004, 07:57 PM
It is a us customs fee call ups, I did and they waived the fee since I was unaware of this extra cost.
What did you tell them to get them to waive the charge?

They wouldn't budge on my first call.

Tell me your secret.

It's bunk that they are charging us especially when there wasn't any indication on the original bill from AVID. It's the principle of the sale.

Very sucky in my book!!!

Avid needs to mention this in bold letters on their order forms.

paulrus
10-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Actually what would be smart for Avid is to warehouse these packages in Tewksbury instead of Canada - at least for US customers.

But FYI - I did NOT get the $21 charge...

Paul

Stoehr
10-19-2004, 10:09 PM
I received a bill from UPS yesterday. 21 USD for "Entry Prep Fee" and 5 USD for "Disbursement Fee". I'll call UPS today, and see what I can do. I agree with others; this is a shady practice on Softimage's part.

RangTang
10-19-2004, 10:48 PM
The somewhat off thing about the fee is that I was charged sales tax for New York, because Avid has an office here, then I am charged for import costs. I just keep saying to myself, "but it was so cheap."

Zoogie
10-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Got the same bill.Started to follow it up. But was proving to be a hassle. I dont think it was a very nice thing for Avid to do. Not informing us and all.

markdc
10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
If I get it, I'm not paying it. And Softimage should disclose this (I don't care how good the deal is).

Rabid pitbull
10-20-2004, 01:17 AM
What did you tell them to get them to waive the charge?

They wouldn't budge on my first call.

Tell me your secret.

I must have gotton lucky. I just stated that I really did not understand why I was getting this bill since I already paid for all shipping cost in my order. The ups rep then explained how it was a customs fee only applied to ground shipments. Apparently the shipping arrangements put ups in the middle between us and avid. I agree that it is quite annoying that no mention of this bill is anywhere on the order form or website.

Try contacting ups at the number on the bill and tell them you were unaware of these fees and find it disturbing that you are being asked to pay it without ever agreeing to it.

Silent pauses may have been my trick, make them uncomfortable.:D Remember being calm is the only way you will get any cooperation over the phone.

Devenish
10-20-2004, 02:53 AM
The somewhat off thing about the fee is that I was charged sales tax for New York, because Avid has an office here, then I am charged for import costs. I just keep saying to myself, "but it was so cheap."No joke, at one point a week after placing my order Softimage sent me an email to claim they never received enough “Sales Tax”. Being this is not my first time purchasing out of state I know generally you do not pay this, however with their response.

“For information, as Softimage is part of Avid and Avid have facilities in about every states in the USA, tax are applied to most customers in the Unisted States.” (<-- HAHAH “Unisted?”)

So I coughed up the $38.62 in sales tax, though I have no recollection of AVID having anything in Arizona. Also note your Credit statement shows the transaction took place in M.A. not Canada. I would feel this is an indication to be U.S. purchase. Ether way if I saw this bill on delivery of the package I would have rejected it and claimed a refund. I’m tempted to submit this to the BBB.

JDex
10-20-2004, 04:52 AM
Please enter below your tax registration number if you have one. If you are within the united states, please click here (javascript:;) to know how to apply for a tax credit with Avid.
Tax Registration Number: [formfield]
[checkbox]I should be tax exempted, but I do not have a tax registration number (or VAT number). CLICK HERE (javascript:;) to see required steps for this case.
[mandatorycheckbox]I am aware that some countries may charge TAX, DUTIES or TARIFFS on items I purchase. I may be billed those additional charges on delivery.
Folks... always read the fine print. I admit, I overlooked the latter statement and just checked the box to place the order. SI has no control over US Customs and the fees they charge. No need to get upset, and if there is, take it up with your congressmen.

markdc
10-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Folks... always read the fine print. I admit, I overlooked the latter statement and just checked the box to place the order. SI has no control over US Customs and the fees they charge. No need to get upset, and if there is, take it up with your congressmen.

Ok but it says "On Delivery." Getting a bill a month after delivery is bs.

JDex
10-20-2004, 05:40 AM
Fair enough, but that's a UPS issue...

Stoehr
10-20-2004, 06:17 AM
I agree, this is a UPS issue. Hence why I'm taking it up with UPS. Avid did what they could. Hopefully, Avid will be more preemptive in the future, and bring to our attention the details of foriegn shipping processes.

Rabid pitbull
10-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Wow Jdex, I swear I never saw that. :eek: Blind frenzy to get this awesome program! Well in the future I will always air ship anything from another country to avoid this tax.

powerwave3d
10-20-2004, 05:35 PM
What can they do to you if you decide not to pay? Never deliver a package to your address again? :)

Quote:
[mandatorycheckbox]I am aware that some countries may charge TAX, DUTIES or TARIFFS on items I purchase. I may be billed those additional charges on delivery.

That's the terms we agreed to, so I don't see how we can be held liable for the fee. I recieved mine last week to the day, haven't received another bill yet. Hopefully I won't, while I don't have any plans on paying it, the hassle isn't worth the effort either.

paulrus
10-20-2004, 06:36 PM
If the fee is coming from the US Customs Dept. via UPS and you don't pay it, I'm guessing Uncle Sam will come knocking on your door.

My wife ships a lot of stuff to Japan and they seem to randomly assign customs fees to the stuff she sends as well, so the US isn't the only country that does this stuff.

Again - the solution for Avid is to warehouse in Tewksbury MA.

My shipment was held up in customs for 4 days - if it shipped from the US that wouldn't have happened.

Paul

GatorNic
10-22-2004, 04:15 AM
Hey you guys are lucky, my prep fee was $26. I didn't really feel like arguing about it so I just paid it. It was such a good deal anyway I didn't really care about an extra $26.

powerwave3d
10-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, I got my bill from UPS today... $28...

Wife is telling me that I'm just going to pay it and not cause a stink. I'm very irritated though.

I don't agree with the logic that it was such a good deal what's another $28. $28 is 1/2 the cost of a video tutorial at 3D Tutorial, to put things in perspective.

JDex
10-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Write your legislators.

GatorNic
10-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Hey you guys are lucky, my prep fee was $26. I didn't really feel like arguing about it so I just paid it. It was such a good deal anyway I didn't really care about an extra $26.
You know, if I think of this in terms of how many beers I could of bought....crap! Why did I pay it?! I could of bought a case and half. Son-of-a--

Devenish
10-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Well for those wondering the reason for this "Entry Prep Fee", I got off the phone with UPS and they claimed it was an "Export tax" that is sent back to the Canadian government. Also noted that they said this charge was "after the fact" of being sent to us. When talking to the representative he did claim that the shipper is ultimately responsible for any fee's and then asked if I wished for them to resend the bill back to the shipper.

no more Canadian beer for I... :buttrock:

Lee3dee
10-28-2004, 07:18 AM
so.....Im thinking of ordering XSI foundation todo some freelance game modeling jobs. Can anyone tell me if XSI can export .3ds, obj. and what is the poly modeling like compared to Maya or 3dsmax. I used 3dsmax at my previous employer, but its too darn expensive to purchase myself, and XSI seems like a package that's within my price range, but I have never used the product :(

I downloaded the free XSI version but been having problems learning how to model. Need to find a good tutorial for modeling :D

Vertizor
10-28-2004, 07:48 AM
so.....Im thinking of ordering XSI foundation todo some freelance game modeling jobs. Can anyone tell me if XSI can export .3ds, obj. and what is the poly modeling like compared to Maya or 3dsmax. I used 3dsmax at my previous employer, but its too darn expensive to purchase myself, and XSI seems like a package that's within my price range, but I have never used the product :(

I downloaded the free XSI version but been having problems learning how to model. Need to find a good tutorial for modeling :D
Looking at it right now, it can export to .OBJ and you can probably find other free programs to convert that to other formats. Also search for plugins, addons, and what not for other export options.

There's a 30 day trial of Foundation that you may download. Doesn't seem to be feature crippled (beyond what Foundation offers) so you get the full taste of what it's all about. I've only used it for about 2 weeks into my trial and yesterday I put my order in. I'm that impressed with it. You MUST try this demo, not the EXP version as that's v3.0 I think.

Compared to MayaPLE I like the poly tools in XSI better. I don't know how different MayaPLE is to the commercial versions, but basic polygon modeling tools can't be all that different. I just didn't like the workflow in Maya, you might feel differently. Took me a while to get use to XSI's workflow, I'm coming from a Lightwave background. But I'm definitely loving it.

Tocpe
10-29-2004, 03:47 PM
If I order from a local retailer in the states, do you guys think I'll still get nailed with this "tax"?

schuubars
10-29-2004, 05:47 PM
The only shock to me was, the delivery time required about 5 weeks. :P

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.