PDA

View Full Version : "Network" Rendering?

Afr_CG
09-04-2004, 03:51 AM
Hi there,

This might seem like a stupid question to some but to a noob, obviously it is not :).

Ok, My question is, is there a way of using Two Units (in my case, a powerbook and a PC or even two Pc's) to render the same animation, in other words use them in a some sort of network to make things go faster.

Thank you.

gmask
09-04-2004, 04:11 AM
Yes of course..

The basic way to do this is to simple setup two renders one for frames 1-100 and another for frames 101-200 and set off one on each computer.

The get fancier use Smedge2 from uberware.net to send smaller packets of frames so that if one computer is faster it will work on more frames.

dann_stubbs
09-04-2004, 01:36 PM
Hi there,

This might seem like a stupid question to some but to a noob, obviously it is not :).

Ok, My question is, is there a way of using Two Units (in my case, a powerbook and a PC or even two Pc's) to render the same animation, in other words use them in a some sort of network to make things go faster.

Thank you.

put the project on a shared folder or drive - launch the command line render from each using the shared project folder. use the -rep flag option in the command line render to have each cpu look at the existing files so they don't rerender what is already done.

use the online manual or the render -h flag to see any other needed command line options. or search for one of the hundreds of posts about command line rendering on the forum.

dann

bluemagicuk
09-05-2004, 03:18 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=50552&highlight=network

Netscale is pretty good, i used it to split up a render of ONE frame between 4 computers and it
uses the cpu power of all 4 to render an image and then drop it into a shared drive when its
done, and it is 3-4 times faster than just using one pc of course.

Shame it didnt work with mental ray. (been a few months since i used it)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.