PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! Avalanche!: Jozvex

Jozvex
09-04-2004, 01:38 AM
*GULP*

Ok, well I'm going to give this a go. As always though it's a matter of having enough time to work on it!!

I'll be using Maya Unlimited 6, possibly Photoshop and maybe even Syntheyes + Digital Fusion for a mix-with-live-action version if there's time for that!

My initial thoughts are to do the main bulk of the avalanche using Fluid Effects, the missile-like bits that shoot out forwards occasionally with particles, the rocks and other debris including the building as rigid bodies and then maybe some trees as a dynamics/Paint Effects combo. Rendering will most likely be done in Mental Ray.

:thumbsup:

Jozvex
09-04-2004, 05:34 AM
I've attached my first test render, just a still frame obviously.

So, I've started getting the main bulk of the avalanche going. It moves down the mountain (it's about halfway in that frame I think) fairly well. The shadows and the ground are little on the blue side, haha, so I'll fix that at some stage. Also the sunlight is very bright on the right hand side, though I suppose snow blindness has to come from somewhere!

I had a good displacement map on the ground before to make it look more mountainous, but it was displacing the ground 'over' the snow to some extent. I might look into offsetting the snow at rendertime so it matches the contours of the displaced ground.

I can't post an animation yet because my website appears to be down!

:scream:

westiemad
09-04-2004, 01:50 PM
well now i'm afraid, Jozvex is on the scene. Hello and good luck my friend.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.