PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Hayabusa, Nick Sotiriadis (3D)

scooterlord
09-03-2004, 11:05 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/44570/44570_1094249127_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/44570/44570_1094249127.jpg)

Title: Suzuki Hayabusa
Name: Nick Sotiriadis
Software: 3ds max, Brazil r/s, Photoshop, Rhino

A LOT of work in this one. Modeled in Rhino3d, rendered in 3Ds using Brazil r/s. It has 570.000 polys and contains every single little detail of the bike. Used crappy manual pics and photos of my bike for reference. Took me about 6 months of total work, had to redesign a lot of parts to achieve accuracy of model. I'll post more renders as soon as my computer stops crashing while rendering :)

I know the render is a bit dark, but my bike is also black (exactly as shown) so I wanted to do it as is :)

any questions asked, will be answered.

3d123
09-04-2004, 08:05 AM
wow nice bike. i really like the Suzuki Hayabusa, i have no crits i cant see anything wrong with it at all, very good model. all i have to say it can we see the front and also a wire please?:bounce:

scooterlord
09-04-2004, 08:42 AM
well, 3ds wire sucks, cause it had to be exported from rhino into 3ds. i know there are some good import plugins for this job but i don't like them so i manually export part by part. rhino wire is cool though and i will post wires soon (in a hurry now and can't find the button to upload pics atm)... front render coming up, as soon as me pc finishes it! :)

Kinjiru
09-04-2004, 09:46 AM
man! the bike is great! love the angle!

can you ride that thing?? I've heard of friends that Hayabusa is a very dificult bike to drive...so much power.

You could try to put those carbon look exausts. They always look good ;)

scooterlord
09-04-2004, 11:31 AM
i can't enter my online site to add wires. sorry for that, i'll post wires later tonight...

kunal
09-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Very nicely done...... I hope to see more views of it...composition with a proper background will surely fire it off as a missle.

Very well

If you can..please help me by providing some hint of this hdri thing. U'r using it in the main environment slot of scene or in the materials' environment parameter?...and if so, how do you map it properly on the model. Will it work with animations as well

scooterlord
09-04-2004, 03:30 PM
well, i said i'd answer questions, not do the work for you because you are bored to look into it nor talk about OBVIOUS stuff. :P

however, you place the hdri in the environment slot, then drag'n'drop it in the materials editor and use 'spherical mapping'

mash1000
09-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Man, I'm very fan of the sports bikes and I think that you are the first man who did it good in 3d.

mrgrundy
09-04-2004, 05:11 PM
NICE! I love the Suzuki Hayabusa, I think it one of the hottest bikes out there, besides a good ole chopper. Lovely beast youve modeled. Cheers :applause:

graffb
09-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Wow!

Awsome detail and material!
Congrat!

Keep it up!

mash1000
09-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Could you show wire to us? I'm very interested how it looks.

scooterlord
09-04-2004, 07:15 PM
here are the wires...
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/3139/wire-1.jpg
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/4770/wire-2.jpg
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/5300/wire-3.jpg
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/9836/wire-4.jpg

new renders coming up... btw did i mention that this model is for sale? :) i hate sending the whole model to turbosquid so if anyone has any ideas please let me know :)

ps sorry admin if selling through here is not allowed, if so delete my comment :/

3d123
09-04-2004, 08:51 PM
nice front and wires u got there! :thumbsup:

did you say more renders are coming up? if so good! cant wait for em :) :)

edit: i just looked at the wires again and on the pic of near the exaust up close. just to the left the detail is amazing :applause: :)

maxlover
09-04-2004, 09:41 PM
:bounce: man I love it, i am rhino user too, but you are gr8 man, show mesh setting :bounce: :bounce: plz plz

scooterlord
09-05-2004, 01:12 AM
here it is... (and i think it's my best one so far)

http://img6.exs.cx/img6/9932/hayabusa-final-3.jpg

as for the mesh settings. as i previously said i export PART by PART. this makes also the texturing easier but it is mainly done to optimize surfaces. when exporting from rhino, depending on the size of each surface i choose different settings, eg, for a small surface you export using small maximum edge length, and for a bigger one bigger maximum edge length (this also applies for all other settings of exporting). you need to play around with those stuff to get the hang of it. besides that, each object inserted in 3ds was optimized to achieve the relatively small polygon count (570.000) especially considering it includes ALL details of the real bike. i will try and post new close-ups the next days ;)

dlccar
09-05-2004, 01:23 AM
Man ... It's not healthy :banghead:
This is so real that is UNREAL :applause: !!

Just look at those lights ... Japaneze stuf rulez!
Your bike RULEZ!! :cool:

BESTrin
09-05-2004, 07:32 AM
wooow. Thats realy nice. And you dont see to many motorcycles. The texturing is great. Not to even mention the flawless modeling. The first render is by far my favorite. One crit would be the hdri. Its fine in the first two but its alitle to much in the last one. MAybe a slight blur a diferent probe than building or rotating it some. Its just that one reflection Especially on a large image is the first thing you see and is allightle to bright if you going for realy world lighting and enviroment. GReat work though. Amazing modeling. Great materials. Deservs Front page plugged and choice gallery. GReat stuff.

scooterlord
09-05-2004, 08:02 PM
well, as for the lighting, dunno, i happen to like it a LOT. you know, good lighting is subjective :)

here is a pic of the gauges..
http://img28.exs.cx/img28/5453/hayabusa-gauges.jpg

scooterlord
09-05-2004, 08:04 PM
ehm.. i double posted, so.. dunno, expect more renders :)

graffb
09-05-2004, 08:21 PM
ARE YOU CRAZY? :)
Dude this model and render in the BEST!

scooterlord
09-06-2004, 11:16 PM
here is another render! rear view with lens blur...http://img75.exs.cx/img75/7135/hayabusa-rear-blurred.jpg

Timonides
09-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Awesome work scooterlord... :buttrock:

Above all I like the texturing work....

That last render with the Blur, is unbelievably realistic......

Keep the good work up.....

evandavies
09-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Man, that is GORGEOUS!!!

I'm trying very hard to spot anything I can comment on ...

My small comments would be to put a falloff in the reflection to get a bit of a Fresnel effect for the main body and faring. The rear indicators look a bit solid. ...and lastly, I think the rear tyre (on the last pic) and handlebar grips (clocks view) have a bit too much specularity.

One of the very best modelling and renderings I've ever seen.

I'm afraid to ask but whats the rendering time?

Rykas, Boxhill, Dorking :thumbsup:

Niphilim
09-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Great model work, very detailed and beautiful mesh. Only dislike me the HDRI reflects. Maybe with a blurry in the HDRI image looks better. Nice work

smooth
09-07-2004, 06:08 PM
front page stuff...:scream:

scooterlord
09-07-2004, 09:53 PM
first of all... let me answer some crits:

a) tire has no specularity at all :)
b) grips are TOO much specular, aware of this, but too lazy to re-render
c) typical render times 5-7 hours on a p4-2,6, 512 ram ddr 800 (dual chan), 3x3 image antialias, -1, 0 gi antialias, 20/10 primary/secondary sample gi rate, 1280x1024

well as for the blurry hdri, dunno, i happen to LOVE it this way, tried different hdris and stuff as well, but this one i liked the most.. i post a temp-render of the bike with changed color and chromed parts (VERY low quality-needed a quick render)

take a peek...
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/3645/hayabusa-chromed.jpg

KaDDD
09-10-2004, 05:50 PM
impresive modele ! ! very realistic ! ! :) good job man !

nobrain
09-11-2004, 12:22 AM
its excellent work no doubt, but ur rear orange lights/reflectors look not real

Tilstrom
09-13-2004, 08:02 AM
now THIS is fantastic. brilliant work.

SimonReeves
09-13-2004, 12:14 PM
nice modelling, cool rendering although some of the render seem to have a lot of artifacts, jpeg or otherwise

arona
09-25-2004, 08:20 AM
fantastic. everything looks great to me.the thired pic that you posted as you said should be the best. really deserve front page. im unanimous about rear orange lights as nobrain said. :thumbsup:

scooterlord
09-25-2004, 05:57 PM
guys check this out. oem colors...

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/4416/hayabusa-black-blue2.jpg

Divaise
09-25-2004, 06:51 PM
very very nice my man.. I don't like only the orange indicator :applause:

mce
09-28-2004, 08:18 AM
:scream: NEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAUUUUUU

Fantastic work! I love this bike in real and i find that 3D model is perfect!

scooterlord
09-28-2004, 12:41 PM
well, i can't promise anything, but since you guys like this so much, i may do some renders for you in colors/angles you might request :) can't promise for sure though, cause rendering takes kinda long for these 1280x1024 renders (about 12 hours because of true reflection highlights)... but i can hear suggestions! :D

deddy
09-30-2004, 04:42 PM
the modelling is awesome. I really like the smoothness of the fender.
i just have 1 question, is the fender and the hole are 2 objects or 1? how come the wireframe look like 2 objects? did u make a hole on the fender?

The Witch King
10-01-2004, 05:18 AM
That bike is cool esp. the material. Where did you get the blue prints.

scooterlord
10-01-2004, 10:05 AM
deddy: front fender or rear fender? :/ no fender has any holes in it. i am just wondering where you saw a hole? :) anyway, both fenders and most parts of the bike are more than one objects when in rhino, although exported as one. some parts seem to have jagged edges because of the export - to keep poly count as low as possible (haya is just 570.000 and everything is modeled)

as for the blueprints.. tough business, its manual had 2 not-exactly-orthogonal blueprints, which i found out that they were not after modeling some parts and not being able to combine them, so no actual blueprints. I took about 500 pics of my bike from every possible angle and even so, i kept going out and checking on the bike while modeling some surfaces - really tough. and then accidentaly i thought i'd google any actual real-life-models of the hayabusa and found one from Tamiya. a very nice model, very detailed and quite accurate. helped me model difficult big surfaces of the bike, since i had the parts in my hand and could rotate them, etc. also helped me get an idea of how exhaust headers look like, etc. bike contains details not seen from my renders so far, like the shock, exhaust headers, frame notes, etc... i'll try to make some more renders for you guys, just not enough time atm, cause i am taking my degree next week! be patient! :)

techart
10-01-2004, 02:00 PM
always loved the motors...great one too....and great modeling dude

Renzsu
10-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey man, that's awesome.. I am blown away by how you actually got to the point where you have this whole model.. it must have been a lot of frustration at times. I have a question that I hope you can give me some pointers on.. I use Rhino just like you but I sometimes have a problem with making fillets and holes in objects. Sometimes when I make a cut in a surface it just doesn't work, or splits the resulting surface in half.. fillets often just don't work and end somewhere halfway through.. all very strange.. Do you run into these problems at all when modelling?

Anyways, great model, and nice renders (maybe you should consider buying some HDRI cd's so that the reflections won't look so familiar ;) )

scooterlord
10-01-2004, 10:06 PM
filleting can be tricky sometimes, if fillets don't work, then try creating a pipe using the edge of the surface, cutting the two surfaces and blending between them. or find other ways to do so. i always improvise when i don't get the filleting i need.

as for the hdris, i have more packs, i just happen to like this one best :)

Raine3D
10-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Very nice work, although I think the paint is reflecting a little too strongly. Did you use reference pictures in the viewports in Rhino? If so, did you use bitmaps or use traced splines?

scooterlord
10-03-2004, 02:04 AM
well, first of all, concerning your commenting guys. graphics are very subjective in my opinion, since someone likes this, other one doesn't. i am almost positive that even if someone uploaded a real photo, many people would find graphic errors and mistakes. if you like something or not, please don't just mention, don't forget to vote!

so, for the viewports, yeap, used the crappy pics i had, they didn't match at all, and this is where imagination comes in. :) 3d modeling NEEDS imagination, even if copying a real model. and what's the purpose of using traced pictures, since i am gonna trace in rhino anyway? :/

Jvass
10-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Sick work, mate !!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Amazing detail, and pretty accurate modelling...:applause:

It`s always nice to see stuff like that, from a fellow Greek 3d artist...

Tzrnutt
10-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Amazing moddeling and rendering work. I agree, a good background environment added, would make a killer render.

I'd like to see some race paint on it though...

philip
10-12-2004, 12:19 AM
ai caramba! Very nice work!

if I were to nitpick I'd say the footpegs look a bit rough and the gear isn't accurate... also the turn signals could use some more texturing work.

But it's obvious you put a *lot* of effort into this one. Two thumbs up!!

BTW: try the Michelin Pilot Power next time; awesome tyres!! :D

maxrulez
10-13-2004, 07:30 PM
OMG Absolutley gorgeous! I own a 04' Black and Purple hayabusa with a Stage 1 turbo kit on it from dennis (Motorhead, owner of www.suzukihayab.org (http://www.suzukihayab.org) ).... Man that model is unbelievable... please email me at maxrulez@charter.net if you are interested in selling it.

Thanks

Pumuckle
10-13-2004, 08:50 PM
wow that is an awesome model, and spending 6 months on it, cheese. it get discourage after a day of two. nice work

AUMAKUA
10-14-2004, 06:53 PM
This is a great piece of 3d art, Nick, with a rather low polycount, inspite of the vast amount of details. Eyge patrioti !

scooterlord
10-14-2004, 09:25 PM
hehe, efxaristw filaraki! :)

maxrulez: contact me in my email again, or try nik_sot@yahoo.gr for some reason i don't know if the email i sent you came to you after all!

i am preparing a new site for me that will have new, never before seen, best renders of the haya :)

stealth76
10-15-2004, 08:57 PM
hi m8...

really impressive work man...i like all of your rendering...as i say: brazil r/s rulez !:thumbsup:

i'm working on a 1971 plymouth road runner and hope to finish it this week....maybe the same quality like your bike....:D

p.s. your modeling is awesome !:bounce:

scooterlord
10-21-2004, 11:46 AM
guys, my new site is up. :) one more new render of the busa, close ups to be uploaded soon!

http://scdesigns.port5.com

DanielIser
10-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Just awsome. The only thing i really noticed at all that was wrong with several of the images is that there are some squigallies in there. I know AA had to be turned on due to the smoothness of most of the lines but there were several that just kept popping out at me. Any chance of a rerender with the AA turned up a bit more??? Or it might not be AA, maybe its something else causing that, but other than that flawless!! Would love to see a Pearl White bike with a dark blue busa stripe! And angled from top right front!

AUMAKUA
10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
After visiting your site while being at work (at home I experienced a black screen, i dunno if it's a firewall related problem or not, I got the latest flash player though) I am very happy to see such a beautifully detailed work done by a Greek artist! possibly you are among the best hard surface modellers in Greece.
I wish you could share with us a couple of higher rez shots:) should we expect a tutorial in modeling with Rhino someday?

scooterlord
10-22-2004, 08:01 PM
heh, thanks filaraki, high res pics coming up soon.. ;) probably! as for the tutorial, hm, probably that's a no go, no time for that.

exw milhsei me kapoion edw mesa gia na vre8oume, an einai, mia pou eisai athina, kanonise na vre8eis ki esy :) thnks gia ta kala sou logia ;)

scooterlord
10-30-2004, 05:41 PM
new HUGE renders on my site guys. don't forget to visit often! :)

http://scdesigns.port5.com

niteblade13
10-30-2004, 10:39 PM
This company has a plug-in that allows you to import Rhino files as a brep instead of a poly, which means you don't have to worry about your poly count. With this, it keeps the geometry clean. Check it out. I prefer to model in Rhino myself and this keeps the models from being distorted.

http://npowersoftware.com/trans/trans.html

scooterlord
10-31-2004, 01:12 AM
thanx for the info nightblade, i am alread aware of the plugin. I just don't find it very convenient for my way of exporting, since i prefer exporting all parts one by one and texturing them this way. let alone that whenever you are about to do a render you have to wait for quite some hour for the breps to be converted into polys -and polycount is different here depending on the distance of the object- before rendering. i hate that. especially in such models where thousands of parts needed individually.

AmbiDextrose
10-31-2004, 06:53 AM
Very nice. And exported from Rhino. May I dare say that Rhino modelers produce some of the best mechanical/organic models I have seen.

Just as a sidenote, whait is your prefered method of expoting and what are your meshing parameters? I've found that I can export "lighter" meshes if I use the Meshing Manager (instead of the regular NURBS-to-Mesh convertion tool) to create a render mesh with the right LOD and extracting the generated mesh.

Anyway, congrats on a great piece of art.

FSBproductions
11-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Great Work! I haven't seen another bike with this much detail. How did you have so much time to model it? I am usually busy riding mine.. You are very talented. All you need now is some yoshi slip-ons and an undertail kit..heh. Keep up the awsome work!

scooterlord
11-03-2004, 12:20 AM
thanks for the comments! :) as for my real bus, it actually HAS an undertail kit AND yoshi slipons... :) here it is:

http://img72.exs.cx/img72/2394/PIC0004.jpg

heh, as you already mentioned, i don't have enough time to model extra stuff atm. :) of course i enjoy riding my baby, but i get a lot of enjoyment from my modeling work and recognition :)

11-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Impressive work!

My favorite bike!

ronnyhen
12-14-2004, 03:45 PM
wow, what a detail is in this baby! 6 months of work.. pff that alot :eek:
lovely bike! 5 star

lemonium
12-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Great work patriotaki! I'm modeling my hornet 900 and I can say your bike is way too cool :)! (Elpizw na prolavw na to teleiwsw prin me paroune fantaro)

morpheus_ia
01-02-2005, 06:13 PM
I like the detail, but so far I have not seen any comments about the jagged highlights on your surfaces. I have seen this alot when models are over optimized. Look across your fuel tank and you should see an even continuous flow to the reflection / highlight. Instead you have jagged lines that detract from the detail of your modeling. Get your self power translator from NPower and you might be able to avoid the jag. I know it is tough to work with large files in max and Rhino to Max is not perfect so try the power translator and you won’t be disappointed…it’s free for 11 days…

ajc188
01-20-2005, 07:47 AM
You did a great work!:thumbsup:
youe modelling and mapping are so accurate!
lighting is good too!
well done!

scooterlord
01-20-2005, 10:45 AM
since the thread is not dead yet and people keep visiting, i thought i would post some new HUGE renders.... enjoy...

http://img89.exs.cx/img89/6256/busagauges2400final1ky.jpg

http://img98.exs.cx/img98/4153/hayabusa2400x18002he.jpg

http://img98.exs.cx/img98/4773/hayabusa1692x21215xy.jpg

AUMAKUA
01-21-2005, 06:41 AM
great stuff once again Nick ! thanx alot for sharing these large babes with us :)

AVM
02-16-2005, 03:26 PM
it is really excelent.:rolleyes: :eek: :bounce: :applause:

randalverde
02-26-2005, 01:28 AM
This is absolutely the best bike I've ever seen modeled. How exactly did you go about modeling this? Also, one thing I can agree with you on is that reference pictures suck. It is so hard to find good reference pics. You pulled it off though and made a master piece.

maxFX
03-03-2005, 12:59 PM
I AM SPEACHLESS!!!:buttrock:

It just happened to see now this thread!!! I cannot believe i missed it!!!
Eisai kamari ton ellinon 3D modellers :)))

Bravo !!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tozger
03-08-2005, 09:36 AM
:buttrock: WICKED:buttrock: Dude you must have gone nuts one night and start doin this. My english is not good enough to expree my thought so i will say it in Turkish; O kadar güzel ki aklımı yemek üzereyim!!

scooterlord
03-12-2005, 07:53 AM
first of all sorry i was so late to reply, i am in the army at the current time and was one month off everything. i will try to make it up with you with this new render :)

http://img122.exs.cx/img122/6958/hayabusaside6mf.jpg

thanks guys for all your kind words... as for the reference pics, yeah they were tough to find, i tried connecting pieces found in the manual here and there but even matching them didnt give good results cause they each pic seemed to have different proportions...

and yes, it was a bitch to model, but i am here proud of it and you seem to be enjoying it..

KenSaba
03-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Wow! The best CG bike I ever seen! :buttrock: :buttrock:

Make it naked version, what do you think? :bounce: :bounce:

Keep going, man, great job!

jumper3d
05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Fantastic work! I love this bike in real and i find that 3D model is perfect!

This really is one of the best models I've seen, but one critique is:
As a biker, one of the first things I notice when looking at a new tyre, is the dipples/extrusions that are on the surface of the tyre...as your bike is new (without number plate), it would add to the model if these were present. I don't mean this in anyother way, than to maybe help to make your model perfect..!
Keep up the awsome work...

MoTheBlackCat
07-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Until now that still the best Cg Bike I've ever saw ! Wanna try to make some new colors or anims with it ? or try to integrate it in a picture with your real bike it could be fun comparing those two.

scooterlord
10-16-2005, 12:49 AM
heh, i know it's been a while and most of you have already seen this, but since i corrected some textures, i thought you'd like to see

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/2528/busabg0vg.jpg

floclau
10-26-2005, 10:43 PM
its a really beautiful tribute to this amazing machine

cenkkara
11-10-2005, 03:51 AM
excellent work!

scooterlord
02-11-2006, 10:44 PM
hope you like it... :)http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/5971/busablue4he.jpg

winder
05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
just amazing!! keep up the good work!

scooterlord
08-09-2006, 07:51 PM
I know that most of you are tired of seeing new renders, but some of you may still enjoy them. Here is a new one I did for a project, I hope you enjoy it!

Btw, just in case some is interested, the model is available for sale at a very fair price considering the amount of work I invested in this and in its level of detail, so, just keep that in mind. It is ideal for hayabusa improving houses, painting and chroming shops etc:

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/314505

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7121/busachromedcw5.jpg

med008
10-08-2006, 02:11 PM
very gooooooood but i wanna ask u somethin how u did the matrial of metal shaine one..??

nikosX
03-13-2007, 04:38 PM
hey , i really admire your work on that bike, i am greek too and it is so nice to see greek's work here.
are you interested in a job in Athens including 2D-3D animation and compositing?
if you do , send me a mail with your CV to : info@3dart.gr

keep it up
nikosX

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2007, 04:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.