PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting Camera Projection

russ_c
09-03-2004, 05:11 PM
I could really use the help of anyone who has done camera projection in Maya. I would like to project a Matte painting onto 3D geometry. The plan is to create the geometric Layout and then paint the matte from that perspective so I know the matte will fit the scene. I have done test, but I want to know what the best way to do a Camera projection without image quality loss. Please!!! I can't find any information on this anywhere...indepth help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for anyones time,

Russell

steveblake
09-03-2004, 05:41 PM
here's a couple of old thread covering the basics:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17123
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=84238

hope this helps! :)

russ_c
09-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks for those links. I will certianly attempt to figure out each of the methods you outlined. Currently I am projecting an image through a camera an attaching it to the color node of a lambert. I haven't seemed to be able to do a quality render of a matte like this. What else can be done when setting up the render to preserve the matte paintings lighting, without setting up a scene with light everywhere just to illuminate the texture of the matte on 3D objects?

ANY 2.5D Matte Painters out there??!!!

steveblake
09-03-2004, 07:14 PM
err. they're not actually ny notes just copy'n'pasted - I'm almost still as much in the dark as you... good luck tho!!

:)

DiGiman
09-05-2004, 03:42 AM
You are doing most everything right. Just connect the image into the luminence channel of the Lambert node, rather than the color. Do not put any lights in the scene. And turn off the "default light" in the render globals.

As for the quality of the image, set the filtering mode in the image file node to none rather than mip, or box or any of the other. If this doesn't improve the quality, try rendering from maya at twice the resolution you were planning on, and in compositing, scale it down.

russ_c
09-05-2004, 09:43 PM
DiGiman, thanks so much. Your addressing the two things I am getting at here. BUT, I can't find luminence on the inputs of the lambert shader. I have used Maya for a long time, but embarrassingly I am just learning the real in and outs of the hypershade. When I link the projection into the lambert I select other and scrolled through the connection editor list looking for luminance. Do you mean incandesence?! That seems to work with no lighting BUT I am still getting shaded sides. Obviously I don't want this. I want it to render exactly how the matte is painted. How do I get rid of shading on the poly faces?? I turned off all lighting and it still seems to be doing that!

Russell

lazzhar
09-06-2004, 10:24 AM
DiGiman means connecting the pic in the Incandecence of the Material so it wont need any illumination form the lights. You can also use a simple Surface Shader instead, it's designed for those kind of purposes.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.