PDA

View Full Version : Stop-Motion/CGI Animation reel

teabgs
09-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Hey everyone! I graduated from NYU Tisch School of the Arts in May and recently cut a new reel. I'm looking to work as a character animator in stop motion and CGI. I am considering cutting a new reel, but I want to see how people react to this first. Please give it to me straight as I want to get my reel as polished as I can before I start sending it out.

here is the link to my resume: http://www.mindoverpixels.com/resume.html

For the reel, I still need to make separate pages for the low and hi res versions. I'll link to the hi res which WILL NOT LOAD unless you click play. But it will let you see my breakdown either way. Hi res is 17 MB and low res is 4.9MB and they're both QT 5 compatible.

I'll also post a direct link to the lower res file, since the breakdown is the same.

here is the link to my reel and breakdown sheet: http://www.mindoverpixels.com/res_reel.html

Low res for dial-up people: http://www.mindoverpixels.com/movies/reel_low.mov

Thanks for taking a look. It's very much appreciated!

andrewley
09-03-2004, 02:52 PM
First of all I would change the music. I found it irritating especially towards the end.

Regarding the animation:

I thought the worms and lump of clay were a weak start to the reel. It's really important to grab the viewers attention straight away.

The animation in the car felt a bit robotic but the lip sync looked ok

The animation on the blue guy and the guy on the phone felt slow (especially the blue guys arms and when the guy closes his phone) Everything seemed to move at the same speed resulting in dull animation.

Get rid of that squiggly line thing.

The guy hitting the screen lacked weight in his movement - like the pole weighed nothing.

Again the girls runcycle lacked a sense of weight and felt jerky

the quality was inconsistant - some quite good (like the headless cg dog and stopmotion dog) and some quite poor (the girl runcycle).

overall the reel lacked the WOW factor. I would cut it down to your very best work (no filler) and try and amaze the viewer as soon as they press play with an awesome piece of animation. It dosn't have to be long - just very well done.

Hope this helps

Game-boi
09-03-2004, 06:58 PM
I agree with andrewley. In general your stop motion stuff is MUCH better than your 3d work. I would think of creating just a stop motion reel. You're 3d stuff isn't very challenging (people talking in car, guy on cel phone), and other parts don't look complete (run cycle, "I really gotta get out of here"). Your 3D needs some reworking if you want to use it. On the other hand, your stop motion is good.

And please promise you'll change that music. Yes, it's THAT bad! It's too fast tempo for the actions you're showing, it drowns out your lip syncs, and it's just so 80's, cheesy and bad! So bad in fact, that at first I closed your reel (about 10 seconds in) and wasn't going to comment on it.

Think about your audience. They want to see your skills, so don't put anything in there that will distract from that. You need some serious editing (try making a draft reel half as long). No filler, only your best. Change your music (no metal, please!). Keep working on your 3D skills. While your stop motion skills are ready, I don't think your 3D skills are.

-Chris

teabgs
09-03-2004, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the crits so far!

I have a new cut, too bad I didn't get here to post about it before Chris commented.

Anyway, here's the link to the new cut: http://mindoverpixels.com/movies/reel_0903_low.mov

it's 57 seconds with the slate. AND the music is different.

andrewley
09-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Much better

Good to see a bit more of the stop-motion dog.

I think the lipsync in the car is the weakest element - I know its hard but I would consider removing or improving it

The music is much better - I was tapping my foot - always good

Hexodam
09-06-2004, 02:19 PM
its very nice, the dog in the begining was expecialy well done and then the car scene

there is one part that realy lets the reel down, that is the 3d animated 4 legged creature part, might do better without it

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.