PDA

View Full Version : Luxology Adds New Member to Board

Kriss
08-07-2002, 05:37 PM
Luxology, formed by Allen Hastings, Stuart Ferguson (the main programmers behind LightWave 3D at NewTek through 2001) and Brad Peebler, has added Beth Loughney to their Board of Advisors. Beth is currently the president and general manager of Exluna, and will be working closely with Luxology as they move forward with their business plans and with changing the face of the 3D industry. http://luxology.net

wgreenlee1
08-08-2002, 05:19 AM
:p

I don't know about any one else but I thought that LW7 was going to be the top of the literal 3-d application world for me but all this Luxology stuff coupled with the Aura updates along with the progression of bringing them(Aura,Lightwave)closer has really got me excited about Lightwave 8.
They have to be stepping toward more intrigration.
That along with a stronger animation tool update(hopefully closer along the lines of Messiah)will have me dishing out more cash for another update into Lightwave 8.....hopefully.
Really thats where Lightwave can improve to keep all of us from jumping ship to the now cheaper XSI and A/W.
I dont want to learn another app and I feel Lightwave is giving me my moneys worth and then some as Ive only touched the tip of the iceberg of what Lightwave is capable of and of what I can learn with it.
So hopefully with fingers crossed Lightwave 8 will be as exciting as was 7.5,7,6.5,6.........you get the idea

:cool:

Anthony
08-08-2002, 07:51 AM
Maya and XSI are still poor choices for the freelance artist because of their price. Remember that the real Maya still costs $7000. I can't think of anything I can't do in Lightwave one way or another, especially with 7.5. :drool:

Interesting news about Exluna. I hope this means they're redoing their radiosity engine, and will be improving the micro-poly tesselation.

icedeyes
08-08-2002, 10:25 AM
I really hope that they will make the layout and modeller one.... The switching back and forth is killing the timetable.... I used lightwave but gave up on it because of this.... A lightwave fanatic friend of mine is thinking of switching too because of this.... Anywaay.... hope this is changed in later versions...

wgreenlee1
08-08-2002, 05:27 PM
I have to disagree on the seperate layout/modeler config.
I for one love the idea.
There are in fact lots of time while waiting for the test renders and such that I'll be in modeler working away while the layout is rendering.
I dont have a vid card that supports two monitors but my next computer will have and I think I will enjoy it even more that the apps are seperate.

But to each his own.

:cool:

d_hansbury
08-08-2002, 08:10 PM
I've been using Max since 2.5 (about 4 years now) and I just got Lightwave 7.0 to try on my Mac. I've found a couple of tutorial sites and the attituted of Lightwave users is very positive.

I'm a character modeler and wanted to know if there are any good sites either devoted to Lightwave modeling or have really good information for begginer users.

Thanks.

beaker
08-08-2002, 08:21 PM
>>Remember that the real Maya still costs $7000.

Uh, no. Maya complete only costs $2000. They even put subd's in complete now. Only Maya unlimited costs 7k, but a freelance artist usually doesnt need fur, cloth, live and fluid fx.

RobertoOrtiz
08-09-2002, 08:39 PM
As a freelance Illustrator I have to disagree with the statement that I don't need things like fur or cloth. (Ok I'll give you a pass on the fluid dynamics)

As a matter of fact I am about to start a commission that require me to animate cloth. And I have another one further down the pipeline that requires me to do fur. Heavy Fur.

When I buy software, I hate limitations imposed by price.
I hate them because I cannot compete If I have a handicap on my creativity.

I hate them because If I tell a client that I cannot do something, he will go to my competition.

-Roberto Ortiz

beaker
08-10-2002, 12:08 AM
I just said that "most" freelance artists don't need cloth and fur.

The thing is that accurate cloth and fur is very time intensive and if you are doing characters for freelance work that have these then you should be charging alot more money and should be able to afford unlimited. The time it takes for the simulations and rendering time for the fur would put the price of the job above the price of buying unlimited in the first place.

Otherwise your better off faking all of it with hair made up of cards with painted hair maps and cloth that is just modeled with some bones and a little softbodies to get some motion. The amount of time it will save you is phenomenal. All which can be done in maya complete.

RobertoOrtiz
08-10-2002, 08:37 AM
Boy this is really off topic, but I have to give an answer to the last post.

But that is the thing.

An assumption has been made about what level of work most freelancers SHOULD be satisfied with the 3d app they use.
I find it very presumptuous that only an elite set of users should use certain tools.

Maya is a wonderful application, but lets be honest. If you want your work to be any good in this highly competitive environment,
a Maya "Complete" user will eventually will move up to the hi-end version of Maya and fork over the $7,000 dollars.

And $7,000 is still $7,000 specially when you pay it out of your own pocket, as most freelancer do,and that is still way too high.

Maybe 2 years ago doing cloth and fur (or hair) it was considered prohibited in computational power and price.
Now with "lower end "apps like Max and Lightwave doing it, right off the box, the landscape has changed.

Freelances know how competitive is the market is right now, and how expensive the software they need still is.
Anybody can check the galleries on this site and see how good the competition out there really is, no matter the package.

The day of the overpriced 3d app with overpriced tools is coming to an end. SGI is learning that hard truth right now and for some reason companies like Avid/Softimage and to a lesser extent Alias/Wavefront, are missing the forest for the trees.

-Roberto Ortiz
Ps But I do love Beaker...He was one of my favorite Muppets.

beaker
08-10-2002, 10:54 AM
>>An assumption has been made about what level of work most freelancers SHOULD be satisfied with the 3d app they use. I find it very presumptuous that only an elite set of users should use certain tools.

This has nothing to do with satisfication, just reality of how much it costs to do a job. The maya cloth and fur tools take a while to calculate and render. If you are doing any major freelance work that takes all that time then you should be getting paid enough to get maya unlimited(same with using any other fur plugin since they are all slow, even the ones for LW). You going to bringing your hourly wage down to $5 an hour and instead you should fake it with much faster methods. This has nothing to do with being elite.

>>Maybe 2 years ago doing cloth and fur (or hair) it was considered prohibited in computational power and price.
Now with "lower end "apps like Max and Lightwave doing it, right off the box, the landscape has changed.

Max and lightwave don't do fur and cloth right out of the box. You need to purchase a 3rd party plugin to do anything serious.

The thing is that all the features in unlimited you have to go out and buy a bunch of plugins to get those features in lightwave anyways. Fur, cloth, live and fluid effects are not even in LW out of the box. You do get sasquatch lite, but to do anything that is not a still image you need to go out and buy the full thing or get Shave(which is also avaliable for maya for the same price as the lw version). Also if you want any of those individual features, there are plenty of 3rd party plugins for maya as well if you only need one and not all of those unlimited features.

My main point is that you are in the same exact situation with LW. Buy a plugin or buy unlimited it is up to you.

Roger Eberhart
08-10-2002, 04:15 PM
Actually Lightwave does do fur and cloth "right out of the box". It has done so for the last two versions (7 and 7.5). And now that Max includes Reactor, Max does cloth right out of the box.

eskil
08-10-2002, 07:18 PM
The price of the software serious is not that big deal, if you buy time form a 3D artist at say the mill in the uk, you have to fork over about 600USD/h so a speed increase of in workflow makes up for a more expensive product very fast. (some tests clam that XSI is 40% faster then Maya, you do the math...)

There is a lot of argument around bringing down prices, but still people will want to pay a lot more to get the best of the best. just look at the price of After Effects compared to buying a Discreet Inferno. Human talent and time are often more scares then money to buy software.

E

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.