PDA

View Full Version : Machineflesh Entry, Shawn Alan Peters (2D)

shawnalanpeters
09-03-2004, 06:52 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/73439/73439_1094194324_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/73439/73439_1094194324.jpg)

Title: Machineflesh Entry
Name: Shawn Alan Peters
Software:

This image was entered for the Machineflesh Challenge. You can see the full entry here (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/entry.php?challenger=2695).

momotea
09-06-2004, 09:31 AM
:thumbsup: wonderful

画到这样已经没话说了~~除了好没别的~~

Philipstraub
09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
Very professional and well executed. You really have a nack for these robotic like images.

shawnalanpeters
09-07-2004, 09:44 PM
I guess I am going to do a more organic piece next... I have some ideas about a new medusa.

llama
09-08-2004, 04:56 AM
i can't believe it!
looks like 3d works~~~

shawnalanpeters
09-08-2004, 02:41 PM
yeah, I get that alot... I wonder what my stuff is going to look like once I have mastered character modeling and texturing.

i can't believe it!
looks like 3d works~~~

Artdigital
09-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Great work!!, I was wondering which software did you use?

shawnalanpeters
09-09-2004, 02:49 AM
photoshop and a pencil and paper

Great work!!, I was wondering which software did you use?

shawnalanpeters
09-09-2004, 02:51 AM
you can check out the entire process here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=132405

shawnalanpeters
09-09-2004, 02:53 AM
even better..just the images:

http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/machineflesh/view_entries.php?challenger=2695

SaggioFilosofo
09-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Great job!

Krulwick
09-13-2004, 09:51 PM
This is beautiful. I love the dark color of the body parts.

Excellent work.

emilioG
09-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Good job man.

Love the feel of the image, especially the eyes.

markw7
09-14-2004, 05:04 AM
What a great thread, process and artwork. Machineflesh was so massive I completely missed this piece, and I thought I saw everything. I have to say I wish you had drawn the eyeballs looking in a different direction, not because she's creeping me out but because it might suggest her thinking or scheming or afraid of something. The way it is she looks dead and scary but there's not as much psychological stuff going on as there might be. Anyway, just .5 cents.

shawnalanpeters
09-14-2004, 01:59 PM
good point.

Spc
09-14-2004, 02:50 PM
WoW.
I like the deep dark allmost desarutated colours in this picture.
Picture is awesome.

:buttrock:

SebastianPatric
09-17-2004, 05:40 AM
I have no critiques. I enjoyed the process very much. I also like the idea behind the project (creepy). Thanks posting.

shawnalanpeters
09-17-2004, 02:51 PM
thanks.. I am glad you enjoyed it...

I got to tell ya. your alias..."jumbo spaceman" is a great name.. it put a big smile on my face.

Modron
09-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Great job man. It's a very nicely balanced image, ...it looks great, both up close, and reduced size. I like that the skin has a feeling of translucency, the veins are cool,...the fine wrinkling is great. I kind of wish I had completed my own entry, but as I progressed through the various stages of completion, I got the distict impression, that simple cyborg busts were not going to be well recieved, so I halted progress just before the final coloring. Now I think maybe I should have gone ahead with it. Oh well next time I will know better than to listen to others. Anyway it's nice to see that somebody did well with a bust. Cheers.

BlinCk
09-19-2004, 04:37 PM
the picture is a little "scary", but i love it! great work!

JehutyVer2
09-20-2004, 03:41 AM
This is by far, one of the best of the Machineflesh entries. The texture, color and lighting are all spot on. Congrats on a job well done.

Ma
09-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Wooooow!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

shawnalanpeters
09-29-2004, 02:46 PM
You should always go with your own instinct. If you are passionate about doing something and nobody gets it.. oh well. It is your personal discoverery and making mistakes is worth the experience.
Great job man. It's a very nicely balanced image, ...it looks great, both up close, and reduced size. I like that the skin has a feeling of translucency, the veins are cool,...the fine wrinkling is great. I kind of wish I had completed my own entry, but as I progressed through the various stages of completion, I got the distict impression, that simple cyborg busts were not going to be well recieved, so I halted progress just before the final coloring. Now I think maybe I should have gone ahead with it. Oh well next time I will know better than to listen to others. Anyway it's nice to see that somebody did well with a bust. Cheers.

daspetey
09-29-2004, 09:23 PM
shawn,

first, i must say this piece is fascinating. flawlessly (if not obsessively) rendered. great concept. in fact, i was thinking how cool a short film this would make. with attractive humans afraid to show their faces in public for fear of having them ripped off by robots. so most people wear hoods or scarves to cover their faces.

but the real reason i am writing this is a question. i looked through the in-progress stuff (so great that you posted that, by the way. my favorite thing is seeing how somebody arrived at an image) and i noticed your color palette setup in PS. how did you organize the colors so well, and with little dividers of black? any time i bring in custom color palettes, they arrive in a jumbled mess..

any way, great work. im going to serach this site for more by you.
-pete
www.daspetey.com (http://www.daspetey.com)

shawnalanpeters
09-29-2004, 09:35 PM
You have to create the palette in PS. I have never brought in color palettes from other apps. So I am not sure what the deal is with that. Also, PS 5 is the the best version for creating custom PS color palettes. It is just drag and drop..and you can reorganize it freely by dragging swatches to new positions. Definetly, worth keeping a PS copy around. I have not tried CS yet, so maybe it has been fixed... but for now. Just create a color in the toolbar color picker and move your cursor over an empty swatch ..and the bucket will appear for a dump. Dump it and skip the name window. As for the black spacers...I just make them individually.... and thanks for asking!

shawn,

first, i must say this piece is fascinating. flawlessly (if not obsessively) rendered. great concept. in fact, i was thinking how cool a short film this would make. with attractive humans afraid to show their faces in public for fear of having them ripped off by robots. so most people wear hoods or scarves to cover their faces.

but the real reason i am writing this is a question. i looked through the in-progress stuff (so great that you posted that, by the way. my favorite thing is seeing how somebody arrived at an image) and i noticed your color palette setup in PS. how did you organize the colors so well, and with little dividers of black? any time i bring in custom color palettes, they arrive in a jumbled mess..

any way, great work. im going to serach this site for more by you.
-pete
www.daspetey.com (http://www.daspetey.com/)

daspetey
09-29-2004, 09:47 PM
wow! fasted reply ever. thanks man.

well i havent imported palettes from other apps, but i like to make a palette out of a scanned painting, or reference photo. so i usually turn it into a gif with a limited number of colors, and then save that color table as a photoshop palette. but i didnt think you could drag the swatches around. i just tried it, and it works in CS if you use the 'preset manager' tab from the color palette. so thanks!

-pete
www.daspetey.com (http://www.daspetey.com)

shawnalanpeters
09-29-2004, 09:55 PM
I guess I better update to CS! Am glad I could help.

wow! fasted reply ever. thanks man.

well i havent imported palettes from other apps, but i like to make a palette out of a scanned painting, or reference photo. so i usually turn it into a gif with a limited number of colors, and then save that color table as a photoshop palette. but i didnt think you could drag the swatches around. i just tried it, and it works in CS if you use the 'preset manager' tab from the color palette. so thanks!

-pete
www.daspetey.com (http://www.daspetey.com/)

x_lw429
09-30-2004, 09:25 AM
i like it .how long did you finish it?

shawnalanpeters
09-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I chipped at it slowly for the challenge.. but actual paint time once I liked a drawing .....hard to say, I worked on it for 3-4 weeks 2-3 hours a week night and 10-15 hours over the weekends.

i like it .how long did you finish it?

drob
10-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Cool Sh*t dude.

sketchfiend
10-05-2004, 02:44 AM
Heya shawn, i followed your progress for a majority of the comp and it was great to see how you'd progressed, im glad you made i through to the end and got the piece finished. Congrats buddy, i look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future, keep it up.:thumbsup:

shawnalanpeters
10-05-2004, 03:40 PM
thanks brother!

Heya shawn, i followed your progress for a majority of the comp and it was great to see how you'd progressed, im glad you made i through to the end and got the piece finished. Congrats buddy, i look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future, keep it up.:thumbsup:

grandma
10-19-2004, 03:13 AM
very good :bounce:

amusdey
12-16-2004, 02:47 AM
very god,
excuseme my english, is not so god. i am from chile.designer graphic. in UBB University.
later will see my works.
bye

amusdey
12-16-2004, 02:53 AM
very god this job,

excuseme my english, is not so god, because im from Chile.,
designer graphic from UBB university, later will seeyou my works.
bye:bounce:

amusdey
12-16-2004, 02:55 AM
very god this works,

excuseme my english, is not so god, because im from Chile.,
designer graphic from UBB university, later will seeyou my works.
bye

TiCool
03-02-2005, 05:37 AM
A Demostration for Skin Stapler?:P:bounce:

Ritorian
02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
dude i dont know where to begin, yer picture is soooo awesome i just love they way u did it, im kinda new to this site so ive been just looking around at pics and yers is definatley frigin sweet love the face, so awesome.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.