PDA

View Full Version : Car Morphing > One to Another

kueey
09-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi All,

My boss has put something forward to me and I'm not 100% sure that I can do it, so I need a bit of help. I need to completely morph, or semi-morph one car into another. It's a project that has to be done quite quickly aswell. We have car models, high res, but have been made separatley with completely different poly counts and so on.

Are there any techniques possible that can morph the two cars using either Lightwave or Maya?

If not, what would be the easiest way to convert one model into the shape of the other (panel by panel as they are segmented as a real car would be) using the model of the original?

Cheers Everyone

Kueey

FLX
09-04-2004, 12:55 AM
you could cheat it.
1:create a duplicate of each car (to create a blend shape).
2:adjust the mesh of one cars copy to match the look of the other car (just get the general shape) but without adding geometry
3:repeat this on the other car
4:animate the cars sepirately changing: the original of one changin into the copy that looks similar to the other car
5:composit the different animations in whatever program you use... using animated masks to hide the parts that dont match up precicely during the transformations

i may take some time (especially if your original models are dense) but it should work

now that i think about it... it probably would b labour intensive... but this is the first way that comes to mind.

Robken
09-04-2004, 09:13 AM
I would never even have though of something that simple

brilliant imho :p

kueey
09-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Great minds think alike. Nice one FLX, thanks. Actually, I was thinking that this was the best way to do it before I Posted... but if there was a less labour intensive way to do it, well, I was all ears. Anyway, over the weekend I blended each car into the shape of the other, and as these cars are both 2 door sports cars, it wasn't that hard to get a pretty good likeness either. They are a BMW M3 and a Honda Prelude. There are a couple of areas where i have a bit of bleeding, like around the light sockets, but that's about it.. a bit of masking should take care of that.

Cheers mate,

Kueey

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.