PDA

View Full Version : Simple question (I guess)

anibal187
09-03-2004, 04:22 AM
I always have had this question since I watch cartoons: Why is that in cartoons, most noticeably in old ones, you can notice what will move next. Something is in the background but it has like a different color or something and you know that the character will interact with it. Tom and Jerry is a great example for that.

Demilliac
09-03-2004, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure, but I think is due to the colorisation work. The background is a single painting in only one frame, so he could have much more detail than the animated background who have to be colorated in much more frames. Colorisation take time and time is money ...
Hope I'm not in the wrong way, and that could answer your question.

InAction
09-03-2004, 08:50 AM
You can still see it in several cartoons. The thing is, if I haven't got it totally wrong, is that there is separate people who do backgrounds and animated objects. When they do the background it's in most cases oil-painting, and when they color the characters it's a different color. So when something is not animated, it is drawn directly in the background instead and get the oil-color style with more details, when an animated object/character gets drawn and colored it's alot more simpel and often doesn't have any shadows.

I hope I got that right. This is what I have understood, but I don't say I'm right.

Edit**

We posted almost at the same time. Seems like we are going in the same directions. :)

anibal187
09-04-2004, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the answers. That makes sense, different people drawing backgrouds and animated objects. I guess it's not this evident in new cartoons because they match the colors on a computer. One more reason to kiss my cpu.

RoGreg
09-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi,

thats one big flaw of doing cell animation.
In the early cartoon days ( and sometimes today ) cartoons were shot with a real camera
picture by picture.
Here is one of those babies:

http://www.calarts.edu/images/film/facilities/144-4452.jpg

The background was always the same in a scene (some oilpainting like already said) but everything that moves was printed onto cells ( some kind of foils ). That's why characters or other things that move look sometimes different from the background because these cells weren't drawn with as much detail as the background...

just my 2 cts :D

anibal187
09-10-2004, 07:02 AM
Thanks Fluffy, I didn't answer before because I'm not getting the replys to my e-mail, damn bad SPAM filters.
That's a heavy machine they used. As I said before: What a great time we are living in which our computers are so small we can take them with us to sleep... not a recommendation.
Once again thanks for the image.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.