PDA

View Full Version : A 'Tribtute' to a franchise..

TMNT3D
09-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Hey all, calling all TMNT fans and animators for reviews here.

Having only three months of 'official' school training on Max, I've been teaching myself how to use the program for the past 8 or so years. A Smarter person probably could have mastered it in 2, but I go by trial and error and whenever I have the time, so I'm a bit slower :).

Anyway, I've been modelling the characters that I know best. This case being my favorite childhood show, Ninja Turtles. In April, I decided to trash all my old models, and start anew. So, since then, I recently completed about 17 new models from the old and new show. And now that that's more or less done, I'm trying to move into the new area of animation for a new challenge..

But I would appreciate if any 3D Artists/fans could go over the models and give me some tips on how to improve them in the future, or just to make them look more like their toon counterparts... My Biggest Model is 16 MB's in size, but most of them range to around 2MB's in size... Now that these are done, I'm going to move into other franchises, probably Dragonball Z....or fix up my 3D South Park game I made in Director 7 as a school project...

Anyway, the images can be found here at http://www.ninjaturtlesnetwork.com/3D/3d.htm . Constructive critisism is most welcome :)

Thanks!
Neil

FraggleFart
09-03-2004, 09:48 PM
TMNT rule!
Ok, I am very impressed by the wide range of characters.
The first crit I can offer is that many of the characters appear rather "square". You know, the classic tell tale sign of box-modelling.
And seriously; I LOVE the technodrome you have made.

DiNKArt
09-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Please read the rules to this forum. You didn't really follow them at all. It's not the end of the world but could get your thread deleted.

You have been modeling for 8 years and you did most of the models since April?
You really need to slow down and work more on quality. It is great that you can make so many characters but if they all look way below average, espically for someone that has been doing this for as long as you have, it dosn't really matter. I would rather see one good model then a complete set like you have.

All your models are very boxy and anatomy is way off. It looks like you left out almost all detail. Look at the muscle structure of your models. They are all unrealistic. Your hands look like boxes with five tubes coming out of them. Hands should take longer then a couple of minutes.

I am sorry to be so harsh but it seems like you did do a lot of work. I would have rather of seen you spend more time on quality.

Victorian
09-04-2004, 03:24 PM
[edited by mod]

if you can't give focused crits, then don't bother to post at all

TMNT3D
09-04-2004, 07:18 PM
You really need to slow down and work more on quality.>>>

I know, only 2 or 3 of these models look like exact matches.
And even some of those have problems...

All your models are very boxy and anatomy is way off.>>

I'm box editing these models. Only way I know how to model stuff. I tried Spline Editing, but I didn't get very far....As far as the anatomy..I'm using 2D referance pics, and I create the 3D over the 2D, so it's as close a match to the orignial as possible. Except for the profile view. I wouldn't know what to do to improve it... The other thing I want to learn more about is muscle detail....

I'd like to think the Technodrome Model is the best of them all, and even that isn't exact. That took me at least 2-3 weeks to do..and everything except the wheels was made out of one box...

nemirc
09-05-2004, 07:30 AM
1) wow, thats just outright embarrasing

seclude yourself in a stripclub and draw every girl for 800 hours or until you know where they all live and how many kids they have
that sounds like a very good idea... I might do it myself. Even if I am no modeler I could learn "a couple" of things about body dynamics... or is it "booty dynamics"? :drool:

anywayz... I also think that instead of putting a bunch of models on the firing line you should have made one nice model and start from there...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.