PDA

View Full Version : Production Problem - Instancing

Stoehr
09-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Here's the scenario:
There's three people working on the same scene. Persons A,B,C
Each person is modeling different assets.
Person A is has the main scene, he's the director.

Person B is instantiating a few objects, and wants to give the scene assets to person A.
However, person B can't find any information that would allow instances to be carried over to another scene.

Is it possible to send instantiated models to different scenes?

Person C is having the same problems as Person B.

Stoehr
09-02-2004, 08:20 PM
I see there are ways to select edge loops, but I'd like to know if I can select a polyloop.

Also, I can grow a selection, but I don't see how I can shrink the selection. Is it in there somewhere? I'm using the v4 Foundation.

gent_k
09-02-2004, 09:33 PM
I see there are ways to select edge loops, but I'd like to know if I can select a polyloop. You can, the same way you select an edgeloop. alt+mmb -> loop, alt+lmb -> range
It's same for points, edges, polys.

Ablefish
09-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Person A should be bringing in models(.emdl) made by B and C as Reference Models (hope they're available in Foundation...) Whenever B makes changes to an asset, he just Exports it out over the original Model file (.emdl).

Oh, and for the polyloop you have to select 2 adjacent polies for the alt-mmb to work.

And no, there is still no way to shrink a selection - maddening at times to be sure.

Stoehr
09-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the help.

ray
09-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Quick shrink selection script,

InvertSelection
GrowSelection
InvertSelection
:)

preludian
09-02-2004, 11:47 PM
Quick shrink selection script,

InvertSelection
GrowSelection
InvertSelection
:)
Isn't there a more complicated way, that would afford hundreds of scripting lines? :cool:

I heard of many pittfalls with the 3.5 referencing, are they usable now or what do one has to be carefull about??

Ablefish
09-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Ray, that's so simple I just laughed out loud. :D

ray
09-03-2004, 12:14 AM
hehe I had just been developing a X^2*100-line shrink sel script for rctools when the idea came to me like.... "WAIT."
Hey you're from Bonn, preludian!!

Cheers guys,
Ray

Stoehr
09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
LOL! I love it. Thanks Ray!

I continue to forget I can make my own tools. I little forsight, and they can be so easy!
Thanks again.

Atyss
09-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Here's the scenario:
There's three people working on the same scene. Persons A,B,C
Each person is modeling different assets.
Person A is has the main scene, he's the director.

Person B is instantiating a few objects, and wants to give the scene assets to person A.
However, person B can't find any information that would allow instances to be carried over to another scene.

Is it possible to send instantiated models to different scenes?

Person C is having the same problems as Person B.

Put the objects under a model and export.

That said, beware that instances inside of models, because instances are instanced via models, may have visibility or refresh problem when imported into another scene.

Cheers
Bernard

wurp
09-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Dont forget it was Arvid Bjorn, a.k.a "den jaffiga mauden" who gave you that idea!

hehe I had just been developing a X^2*100-line shrink sel script for rctools when the idea came to me like.... "WAIT."

Cheers guys,
Ray

ray
09-03-2004, 03:39 PM
>>Dont forget it was Arvid Bjorn, a.k.a "den jaffiga mauden" who gave you that idea!

That's not true. I was using the invert-grow-invert quite a while before the xsibase post that you're probably refering to (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1874;start=15#msg13565), even published it on highend3d long before that post (http://www.highend3d.com/xsi/scripts/?group=xsiscripts&section=polygon)

(That might be where he's got his from btw...just speculation).

I then used invert-selAdjacentPolys-invert in rctools and Arvid wondered why.

Now I'm back to my original script inv-grow-inv becasue I think it's a little better.

btw, I don't want to start some kind of bullfight- just defending myself.

wurp
09-03-2004, 03:43 PM
No need to defend yourself, it was mostly meant as a joke from my side anyway.

cheers

>>Dont forget it was Arvid Bjorn, a.k.a "den jaffiga mauden" who gave you that idea!

That's not true. I was using the invert-grow-invert quite a while before the xsibase post that you're probably refering to (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=1874;start=15#msg13565), even published it on highend3d long before that post (http://www.highend3d.com/xsi/scripts/?group=xsiscripts&section=polygon)

(That might be where he's got his from btw...just speculation).

I then used invert-selAdjacentPolys-invert in rctools and Arvid wondered why.

Now I'm back to my original script inv-grow-inv becasue I think it's a little better.

btw, I don't want to start some kind of bullfight- just defending myself.

preludian
09-03-2004, 05:02 PM

Yeah, the most beautifull little city there is :applause:

If you'd like we could get out for a drink or a barbecue evening ( one never knows how long the sun will keep shining here, hehe)

ray
09-03-2004, 09:43 PM
wurp, Ok I see.

preludian, good idea I wrote you a pm :)

chesterjoe
09-04-2004, 01:02 AM
damn clever idea ray hehe, BTW keep up the good work. Id buy you a beer if I could pay from the internet for it since Im not in bonn like you guys hehe beautifull city by the way. Cheers....

Stoehr
09-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Put the objects under a model and export.

That said, beware that instances inside of models, because instances are instanced via models, may have visibility or refresh problem when imported into another scene.

Cheers
Bernard
THanks Bernard, that's seems to have done what I need. I'll watch out for the display errors.

Ariel
11-12-2005, 01:40 AM
does anybody have a script to select connected components? I've been using this for a while (the first logical thing that came to mind):

GrowSelection(null);
GrowSelection(null);
GrowSelection(null);
GrowSelection(null);
GrowSelection(null);
GrowSelection(null);

...but this really is very slow, especially on dense meshes. I'm sure there's gotta be a faster, more efficient way of scripting such a tool.

pixlix2
11-12-2005, 02:40 AM
@Ariel:

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.
Maybe you are looking for the polygon island selection filter. After you selected an island you can convert the selection to the component type you need.

greetings

Ariel
11-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Isn't polygon island is something that is only available inside the uv editor?I'm looking for a way to do the same thing that island selection does, but in a regular 3d viewport (and, most of all, a script that does not depend on the GrowSelection command, because it can be very slow on anything with more than 500 polys).

Klowno
11-13-2005, 08:12 AM
You have "polygon island" in the component filter list also.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2005, 08:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.