PDA

View Full Version : animation: short guy playing soccer

grstovell
09-02-2004, 05:48 PM
I'd love some critique on this guy. I'm fighting timing a little bit.
please be brutal... no ego here...

all Motionbuilder and C4D R8.5

soccer ball test (http://www.firstprescaldwell.org/greg/soccer1.mov)

-g

FLX
09-02-2004, 06:13 PM
first thing i am seeing is the final kick. only after the ball is gone does your character take off. i understand it is follow through, but i feel it would be more impactful if the character was already in the air and mogin forward. also, more of a wind-up before the kick... kicking foot goes back (instead of stepping softly forward with other foot), pauses, then flies forward, have the hips follow the foot back, but not the shoulders. it will create a lean and more power.

the first kick, that puts the ball in the air, is a biit slow... i want to see the ball rise and fall faster.

this has been my un professional opinion. feel free to disregard any or all of what u have just read... especially if someone with more knowledge than myself proveides better input

grstovell
09-08-2004, 04:24 PM
thanks flx!

Here's the revised version.
fixed the kick-up in the air
fixed the kick: now he is mid-air during contact, and shoulders stay forward.
I also changed the follow-through that was bothering me so much.

I'm not sure about the foot recoling instead of the step forward... I tried it (for real) and it's hard to generate much power that way. Not sure yet.

I'd love to see some comments on this version.

soccer test 4 (http://www.firstprescaldwell.org/greg/soccer4.mov)

Padmus
09-08-2004, 10:27 PM
The first trap of the ball is pretty unrealistic, in the way the ball completely stops when it hits the ground, thats probably not the way a soccer player would trap the ball, he'd probably let it hit his foot and cushion it by moving his foot back slowly, secondly when he kicks the ball straight up in the air it seems like the ball goes higher than it would judging by how hard the kick looks. The final kick looks very nice.

3dSnail
09-10-2004, 04:45 AM
you should have reference footage. Even if its just you and a few friends kicking a ball. The gravity is very unrealistic, in that the speed and the bounce of the ball makes it look very unnatural.

Hoped that helped.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.