PDA

View Full Version : UVs messing up gradients

leigh
08-07-2002, 01:15 PM
Okay, I have encountered an extremely frustrating problem here :annoyed:

I have to make some CG fruit.
One of these fruits is a peach, and I have a cool texture for it so far, which I am happy with.

Now, in order to get the peachy look working good, I added a (angle incidence) gradient to the colour channel that gives a whitish edge to the peach, thats visibility is then controlled by another gradient on top of it, that is set to light incidence, and is using alpha blending.
This is basically a cheat, but it works. It looks cool, because it gives that nice white edge where the light is hitting it (I would have used only a light-incidence gradient for this fake highlight, but I found it was too spread out, which is why I used an angle incidence one instead, in case you are wondering).

Now, this looked cool.

However, as I am doing all the textures procedurally, I needed to unwrap the peach to make some alphas for some of the colour procedrals, to place them properly, because with peaches, the colour in the crease along the one side is always darker, and around the tops and bottoms it's lighter and so on and so forth. Anyway, back to my problem:

Since I unwrapped the damn thing, the gradients don't seem to be working anymore :sad:
It's not getting that cool lit edge. Even if I switch off the layers with the alpha I made from the UV, it's still not showing up.

Has anyone else had this problem????

And it's weird because I have 2 peaches, and I only unwrapped the one, but they both use the same surface. And the one that I did not unwrap still has the gradient showing up...

Here is a low quality render, but you can see my problem:

http://leigh.cgcommunity.com/temp/fruit.jpg

LNT
08-07-2002, 02:34 PM
have you tried deleting the UV layers you added - does the shader combo go back to the previous state? (something like this has happened to me before - too many gradients confuse LW)

Did you consider baking the procedurals to a high res atlas image map?this way you can save yourself from many headaches

leigh
08-07-2002, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, I'll see what happens if I delete them...
I don't think it's a matter of LW getting confused with the gradients, because they were working perfectly until I unwrapped the one peach :surprised

Baking the procedurals sounds like a good idea - but...ermmm... how do I do that? :blush:

leigh
08-07-2002, 02:47 PM
Okay, I'm reading the chapter on Surface Baking in my manual now, but it doesn't show where to find the damn menu!!
I can't believe I've never used this before :p
Please can someone tell me where the surface baker is????

leigh
08-07-2002, 02:48 PM
Never mind, I found it :blush: hehehehe
Wow, this is really cool :D
Now I just have to sit and twiddle my thumbs while it bakes a 1500 pixel image :annoyed:

But this still doesn't solve the UV/gradient problem, because I'm still going to need to retain the UVs for the baked texture.
Any ideas, anybody??

Julez4001
08-07-2002, 06:57 PM
don't make both peaches share the smae surface!

duplicate the setting for one another and make separate UVs for both of em.

Surface baker is great.
I use for those 2 hour RayTracing Area Lights for environments.

sprogger
08-07-2002, 07:24 PM
you could try using weight mapsto control the alpha through gradiants

LNT
08-08-2002, 10:52 AM
I hope you will find the solution to this problem leigh
one way or the other

when I said that gradients confuse lw I meant when you use them in a complicated mixture together with gradient or procedural controlled alpha blending lw is very accident prone

so for example you apply a UV map and it messes up your previously perfectly working gradients,or say you reparent the bones within a character's mesh and all of a sudden they start pulling some totally remote points like mad so your character begins to look like a chewing gum for no apparent reason

these are bugs or as a|w call them "software limitations" :)

baking the stuff helps lw a lot and also simplifies rendering

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.