PDA

View Full Version : Above & Beyond - 2D - jeroentje

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 11:22 AM
I have about three or four ideas in my head and I'm trying out the ones with some chance of surviving after sketching.

So here's a 5 min's scribble for the first one. It's four mice travelling in a can of Cambell's soup with a tealight in it and a shopping bag for a hot air balloon. I have to check that Andy Warhol thing for a ref ;)
For a ref of a mouse I have more than enough running around here (yuk).
What I don't like is the Stuart Little feeling about it. Not very original maybe... The lighting could be very interesting on the other hand, with a lightsource in the center of the piece.

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 12:39 PM
Here's a hamster using a pair of dirty underpants for a parachute.
A strange use of color might be interesting, yet rather disgusting...

Tommy Lee
08-07-2002, 02:02 PM
man,.. you are stylemonster...hehe:p

Like both,...but the hamster is my favorite. Looks like Homerīs panty.:thumbsup:

Laterz dude

Tommy Lee

hypercube
08-07-2002, 02:08 PM
A combination of the two might be cool..like if it's a family sized can of coffee, they're all hamsters taking it up to engage in extreme sports underpants jumping..maybe it'd have to be made of mountain dew cans then :p

Gamoron
08-07-2002, 02:14 PM
Nice Start. I wasn't sure if I was going to do this one, but you've sparked something for me. No worries, I won't copy. I think the first one is great for a start. Maybe if in the image you could show the land below in a large portion of the image it would look real nice.

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys :)

Remember these are just for fastly kicking some ideas on paper. I haven't decided what to do yet. Nor has the idea-train arrived at the station ;)
If I make a choice, I will post a proper sketch with a decent composition etc.
Here's another one... those propellors are made of egg-spoons.

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 02:33 PM
btw, I honestly hope this is not what Leonard meant with "taking abuse of the attachement system".
I myself always like to see what roads people walk before deciding what's the best concept...

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 03:14 PM
This dirty rat has nibbled of the wings of granny's old parrot 'cause he wants to get airborn. Might be better with a camera angle from the back and the cachedoor open... light from the back (his front)... like the sky is all to be his etc.. Maybe the remainings of the parrot laying at the bottom of the pic... Maybe more Tommy Lee's kind of thing LOL

"This parrot is dead! It is a late parrot!"

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 04:17 PM
Sketch is still just for concept.

Now a friend of mine, who is a 40 year old grownup, has the hobby of making waterrockets. He fills a lemonade bottle for 50% with water, uses a bicyclepump to get a lot of air in it, and when the pressure gets high enough, off it goes.
Whatabout the same principle, but with a big watercooler bottle tied to his back?

visualboo
08-07-2002, 04:43 PM
haha.... cool idea. He's all like up up and awayyyy!

Sleepless
08-07-2002, 04:46 PM
now that's funny and plenty of potential bad accidents...for some reason I think I need to go watch Wallace and Gromit fly to the moon now. Have you switched to painter for these sketches?

BTW, I don't think it's thread abuse, I like to see the road people take to the end picture.

:beer:

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 04:52 PM
Yeah!!! A grand day out!!!!!!
Check out http://www.aardman.com for more Wallace & Grommit... new ones are made as we speak!

Yes, this is Painter Classic. It has a nice sketchy feeling for the scribbles. And I'm experimenting with new ways and directions ;)

Kirt
08-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Someone's been busy. :)
These are all great ideas. I think I like the waterbottle and rat ones best. Although the rat is just disgusting ... hehehehe. Definately something I would have expected to see from Tommy Lee.

hypercube
08-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Wow, ideas a poppin'..cool stuff! I definitely dig the water rocket idea, it's the right kinda crazy. I used to love playing with those, too. Maybe have the pumps strapped to the guy too, so he could be self-contained..or try and repressurize before hitting the ground again :D Hmm, what if it were a big beer keg? Can get a lot of pressure in there. At any rate I'm sure there'd be alcohol involved :beer:

I think 'the process' is important too, and especially here in the challenges I think that's their goal to show it evolve..

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 06:14 PM
Thanks Kirt, I like to spray out lots of ideas before I start something, just to make sure I can choose from everything my mind comes up with. I hate it when halfway I get a better idea... These are all under 10 min sketches. So not that much work...

Originally posted by hypercube
...what if it were a big beer keg? ...
Beer is for drinking. That is what we here in Holland would call "alcohol abuse" :shame:
Cheers, jeroentje :beer:

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 09:25 PM
A happy gardener.

visualboo
08-07-2002, 09:34 PM
haha.... that made me think of another point about the rules. Does this thing have to actually work? I mean does it have to "look" like it would work? Because obviously a shovel isn't gonna get that kid off the ground. :)

Just wondering cause I was thinking of a gas powered flying toilet :D and well you get the idea.

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Visualboo; who cares?! Have some fun!

Take off in ...5 ...4 ...3 ...2 ...

visualboo
08-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Visualboo; who cares?! Have some fun!

wow.... thanks for that "there ARE trees outside, and SUNLIGHT" check. Sometimes you just need those :D

good call btw

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 10:28 PM
Don't understand a word you typed there Visualboo, but I take that as a compliment :D
This is the last one for now. I'll let them rest now and let them sink in for a while...

Here's "OJ's surprise":

visualboo
08-07-2002, 10:37 PM
hahaha.... let me try again. Thanks for the "reality check". Much needed :D

Dang your crankin these out :thumbsup:

jeroentje
08-07-2002, 10:52 PM
Hehe, got it :beer:
I'm going to bed now it's late :wavey:

Kirt
08-08-2002, 12:53 AM
Yeah, slow down man. You're going to hit on everyone else's ideas eventually. Then we'll all look like schmucks for copying jeroentje's concepts. ;)

hypercube
08-08-2002, 02:56 AM
Ah well it's back on the other page anyway, but I meant a -reclaimed- keg, having previously been emptied of its precious cargo. Wouldn't think of it being full..the horror..the horror.

Anyway you've got sooo many other ideas it doesn't matter :D

But yeah, maybe slow down a little and see what sticks..I'm having a hard enough time coming up with something that's not too much like someone else's as it is :hmm: :p :)

visualboo
08-08-2002, 05:25 AM
I'm having a hard enough time coming up with something that's not too much like someone else's as it is

no jokin, I hear ya.

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 06:04 PM
Oh man... I just read your last lil discusion, haven't been online today yet (dead proxieserver).
And I have 6 more new ideas to post... :blush:

Wanna see them? They're a lot better...

I could do the following (if you people agree offcourse): I will pick out 2 or 3 for myself. Then start a new thread: "Who needs a concept for a 3D model? Be my guest!" and kick in the rest.

hypercube
08-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Ah I wouldn't mind the bellyachin'..always want to see more :D

Besides, if all the ideas get taken before you get yours together and posted (figurative you), gotta keep thinking..that's why it's a challenge, eh :)

Anyway, bring it on! More!

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:04 PM
Oh what the hell, I'll post 'em anyway.

Here's Icarus, the ancient Greek dude who made himself a pair of wings out of feathers and bee wax. Bee wax unfortunately melts in the sun, so hell fell down and killed himself...

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:06 PM
This is how I felt this morning...

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:07 PM
This one is free for modelling. I will most certainly not enter this month with a chicken...

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:09 PM
I am obsessed with mice as it seems... Just for the concept this one. Camera should be looking over the mouse it's shoulder with the fridge in target...

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:11 PM
If someone wants to model Mr Potatohead: be my guest.

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:13 PM
This one could become really full of atmosphere. Why on earth did I come up with this one after the Beast of Burden challenge???

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:17 PM
That's all folks ;)
Will stop now and pick one. Maybe I better kill this thread if I've decided and start all over...

Kirt
08-08-2002, 08:19 PM
Ah you're misunderstanding us ...
We like to see your ideas. We're just having a bit of fun with you because you're like a machine with these.

The chicken is funny. But my favorites are still the ones I mentioned in my last post. Anymore ideas?

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 08:31 PM
Hehe, got it :)
My English is not always as good as it seems.

I wanted to let the ideas sink in, but I think I let the handbrake off and the train started rolling again. Must be carefull not to de-rail it... I don't have a clue wich one to pick. And each one of you will probably say to do another one, so I have to pick for myself ;)
Have a nice vacation Kirt :beer:

jeroentje
08-09-2002, 12:58 PM
I can't help it... I open Painter to start on my final entrie and a new idea pops up. Just don't know it anymore...

The basic principal of the hovercraft by Mr Cockerell:

art7sayan
08-09-2002, 02:26 PM
Mad, you're totally mad Jeroentje! :thumbsup:

Great ideas, you got the choice now! Mate let's go!!!!!!! :buttrock:

jeroentje
08-09-2002, 02:39 PM
From you I take that as a compliment art7sayan LOL :)

I am waiting for Lil Dragon's reply on my multiple entrie question.
If it's OK I'll start with an easy to paint one first. If not I'll start with a complicated one straight away.

Gamoron
08-09-2002, 04:57 PM
:eek: yer gonna fry yer BRAIN doin all these sketches!

good brainstorming jeroentje! I like the feeling in the sketches, nice choice in colours.

jeroentje
08-10-2002, 11:10 AM
A choice has been made... Doing the perspective now.

Sleepless
08-11-2002, 07:56 AM
Keeping us in suspense are you? You da man.:)

jeroentje
08-11-2002, 11:01 AM
I am working on the most insane perspective drawing I ever did, for the most insane idea for flying ever :twisted:

LucentDreams
08-12-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Sleepless
Keeping us in suspense are you? You da man.:)

I think the comments about insane perspectie are supposed to be a hint, but not quite sure, I'm guessing mouse going for cheese myself, I love your style for theese thumbnails, why kind of tablet do you have, If you say wacom graphre than I need to seriously start practicing in Painter and PS cause I can't do this type of stuff on the pc that fast, I have to stick with good ol paper. Oh, and what version of painter are you using, I have a free version of Painterclassic, looked at painter 7, have PS 7 and painter 7 looks so complicated I'm thinkin of stickin with clasic.

jeroentje
08-12-2002, 08:47 AM
Thanks Kaiskai,

I am a very modest Pentium 2, 466Mhz, 128 Mb RAM, 20GB HD, GeForce2MMX/64MB graphic card and a Wacom Graphire 2 (mouse that came with it is still on the box btw).

I used Corel Painter Classic that came with the tablet for these sketches (btw, I found out about the rotating your canvas option after I had used it for 3 weeks LOL, I had never even heard of Painter before I bought my tablet).
I also use PS6 and Illustrator 8.0, but not for these.

And I am not doing the mouse-in-the-bra ;)

Ivars
08-12-2002, 09:43 AM
I gotta look in to painter some day. This rotate canvas thing, seems like really usefull instead of dislocating you shoulder everytime youīre trying to draw certain lines.....

I wonder wich one itīll be....... My guess is girl with birds:)
Iīll be back!

Ragnakim
08-12-2002, 11:07 AM
LOL!!! All your concepts made me laugh!!!! :applause: They'r great!!! I gave a big LOL with the "this is how I felt this morning" LOL!!!! :D Just great stuff!!!!

jeroentje
08-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Thanks jeroentje :)
(LMAO in silence :D )

darkteddybear
08-12-2002, 08:41 PM
mieters idea :lightbulb :lightbulb ;) ;)

keep them comming, i could do with some more laughs ;)

dmcgrath
08-13-2002, 08:43 AM
jeroentje

which one are you going to do????

I still like "Chicken with bottle-rocket"

It's a winner!!!

visualboo
08-13-2002, 05:46 PM
update brotha :bounce: Dont just post a finished piece... this is a wip after all ;)

jeroentje
08-18-2002, 09:39 PM
I really had no idea wich one to do. I guess I overdid it a bit in the conceptfase.
I started with the farm, with the camera hanging above the silo, with the farmer tied on top of it in a cozy chair.
But that one was really too much. I had the whole globe as a background and, oh well. I stopped with that.

Here is the first WIP for my final entrie. It is the guy with the waterrocket.
"Pilot must have an expression (...) totally freaked out..." I can't blame him LOL
Lots of detailing to be done, and no time tomorrow (Counting Crows concert YES!!!)

cheers, jeroentje

Bruzundanga
08-19-2002, 08:49 PM
I'm wondering if I could go into this challege this month.... well, nevermind...........

jeroentje (man, my tongue simply could not pronunciate your name/nick/whatever.... :drool: ), I like your style, I already told you that, but this last update of your image...... there's something I'm not liking....................

Maybe the position you put the guy... I know you put a water bottle in his back, but only because I see the entire progress of your creation......

i'm wondering what would happen If I missed that part.... problably I wouldn't undestand..........

Well... nevermind. Just a opinion. Great work, great ideas.

Hope to get time for this contest............. see ya

LucentDreams
08-20-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Bruzundanga
I'm wondering if I could go into this challege this month.... well, nevermind...........

jeroentje (man, my tongue simply could not pronunciate your name/nick/whatever.... :drool: ), I like your style, I already told you that, but this last update of your image...... there's something I'm not liking....................

Maybe the position you put the guy... I know you put a water bottle in his back, but only because I see the entire progress of your creation......

i'm wondering what would happen If I missed that part.... problably I wouldn't undestand..........

Well... nevermind. Just a opinion. Great work, great ideas.

Hope to get time for this contest............. see ya

Hmm he does have a good point, I love the image so far, but I think this is impartial to the fact that we know what this concept is from the original sketch, the final composition will make it difficult to discern that it is a water bottle attatched to his back launching him practically into orbit. Maybe keep the same basic idea but a little more angle to see his side a bit and get a little perspective on the water bottle. Not a lot of time though, where is an update on this one?

jeroentje
08-20-2002, 10:10 AM
Yes I know, and just looking at the piece as it is right now you are 100% right. But trust me, I have a little surprise ready for the end...

jeroentje
08-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Oh and ehm...

@Bruzundanga
Yes! Join the fun!
"Jeroentje" means "Little Jeroen" (Jeroen = my name) because I am almost 2meters/110kg, and is pronounced something like "yahroonche"

@Kaiskai
No update yet because of the (great) Counting Crows concert last night :airguitar :xtreme: :applause:
Maybe I'll work a bit more on it tonight. This is my lunchbreak.

Soeren Nielsen
08-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Jeroentje ! LOL omg.
You got the ideas rolling for me and I actually think Im going to enter this challenge also, in the 3D area tho.. /me jumps to the drawing board.

jeroentje
08-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks Soeren, and do join the challenge (feel free to do one of my concepts if you like, and if that's what you mean.)

Here's is a little update.

visualboo
08-20-2002, 09:49 PM
That's pretty wicked so far jeroen. When I look at it I'm just like "ahh, stop looking at me...... STOP LOOKIN!!!" :D

Rock on man :buttrock:

Norante
08-21-2002, 04:04 AM
Nice work Jeroentje. Aways pleasing to see the nice updates.

Keep it up

Apt Pupil
08-21-2002, 11:20 AM
Gosh, that's a really nice angle you have set up there jeroentje, awesome work!!!

I am looking forward to seeing what more you have planned for this great piece:)

:beer:

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 12:18 PM
update within an hour :drumrock:

art7sayan
08-24-2002, 12:38 PM
Can't wait!!! :bounce:

:wavey:

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 12:51 PM
You don't have to. Here it is :)

art7sayan
08-24-2002, 01:37 PM
The vector-master is back!!!!!

Great details...Illustrator seems so easy for you! lol

Keep up the good work too!!!

:thumbsup:

:wavey:

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 01:55 PM
Hehe, thanks. Illustrator is a great piece of software.

I did some minor changes in it allready, but I will post it in the next and bigger update.

Bruzundanga
08-24-2002, 07:50 PM
yah-roon-che

great manual.... love the concept... :applause:

Is this hand drawned and vectorized or you just trace line by line in illustrator??

great, great!

More, bring us more! :bounce:

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 08:36 PM
Thanks!

Neither. I just directly start clicking in anchorpoints in the right spot and pull the curves out of them with the "Convert Direction Point Tool". No sketches, no drawing. All mouse. Fastest way to do this.

Pancreas
08-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Har har har har, itīs great! Love that instructions man! Lol, The steps are so clearly explained that iīm thinking on trying it at home!
I love how you show where the different parts are from and how to attach them.
And the operating instructions made me fall (yes again) of my chair. Maybe itīd look more as an engeneer plane with a blue background and white lines, as blueprints.

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanx Pancreas :beer:
I had something else in mind BTW :)

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Okay here we go...

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Man I hate it how much gets lost in the JPEG conversion to stay under 59k... I could host a higher res at Lycos maybe.
Anyway, not sure if I prefer the crop or this one, it's late and my judgement is not very clear:

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 11:21 PM
Oh and the wood, cigarette and pen are retouched real life scans, just for a nicer presentation ;)

jeroentje
08-24-2002, 11:26 PM
I am used to do things for print. Not for monitor viewing: the small-typeface-hell...

Kirt
08-25-2002, 12:24 AM
Bwahahahahaha ... *gasps for air* ... hahahahaha

jeroentje, that's a hilarious piece. I love the instruction page, satellite photo and sticky note. It makes it all very believable, like you can go out and build one of these devices and it would work as displayed. Excellent work!

schmu_20mol
08-25-2002, 01:23 AM
awesome piece of work....keep it up jeroentje:thumbsup:

art7sayan
08-25-2002, 06:38 AM
So good!!

Impressive Jeroentje!!! Keep it up man!! :thumbsup:

visualboo
08-25-2002, 07:09 AM
hehe, Awsome. I love the schematic :buttrock:

jeroentje
08-25-2002, 07:46 AM
Thanks for all the nice words people :)

@Kirt
I have to admit that I actually tried something simmilar this summer. I got a rocket made from a Coca Cola PET-bottle (mean that soft type of platic) about 15 meters up in the sky. Same construction, but without a pilot. So I even did a test flight of a scale prototype for my design.

LucentDreams
08-25-2002, 07:46 AM
cropped in is definitely better, and the memo is too funny great stuff. I love how you put all of this together, and mixed painting with vector and photo manipulation all in one project. great stuff, you got my vote me thinks (never know what someone may come out of nowhere with and surprise us all.)

Oh and if you need someone to host a pic, just PM or email me, I got the space :)

jeroentje
08-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I think I will go for the cropped.
He thanks a lot 4 the hosting place :) I'll PM you when I decided what will be my final.
I also see we have till sept. 6 for the deadline and I have about 20 concepts laying around... so ehm...

Apt Pupil
08-25-2002, 10:12 AM
Oh NOOOOO, I just tuned in into the 2d thread again, and, oh oh, our ideas are going to be quite similar jeroentje:sad: :cry: I hope you don't mind. I am in the process of creating a technical layout for my trash heap that I will lay out as a technical diagram to be constructed too.

Well, the ideas will be similar, but the content will be vastly different of course:)

Well, that aside, hey, it's looking top notch. My only critique is, the cropped version with the blue picture of the man looks wierd because it does not look like its on a piece of paper. It would need some more white glazes so that it looks like a plastic sheet. Anyways, with two weeks left, this one is going to look GREAT!! Keep it up!

jeroentje
08-25-2002, 12:23 PM
He Apt pupil, thanks and I will look at it.

About you doing a drawing of a drawing aswell; okay, a lot of people have joined this challenge. We have 2 people modelling a flying toilet aswell... so... I don't think it is that simmilar :shrug: So who cares?

visualboo
08-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey now! :D

Great minds think alike

jeroentje
08-25-2002, 04:56 PM
Exactly my point. Thank you Visualboo.

darkteddybear
08-25-2002, 07:37 PM
awesome "te gek werk" juh roon ;)

:D :D :D keep em comming ;)

mv
08-25-2002, 10:39 PM
quite awesome. Really like your style; that instruction manual... was a wicked idea.

Gamoron
08-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Fantastic jereontje! That's original! The work involved in this one... I hopw your getting to sleep. I like both the cropped and non cropped. Are you done?:buttrock:

dmcgrath
08-28-2002, 04:36 AM
I peed myself...

No crits, fantastic work, Jeron.

Nomolos
09-02-2002, 02:51 PM
This is really great! Really original! Keep up the good work "naamgenoot" :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.