PDA

View Full Version : UV mapping using Menithings method?

Lasercade
02-04-2002, 02:29 AM
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has checked out Menithings.com and his method of UV mapping:

http://www.menithings.com/How/TheFreak_01_UV/Freak_UV_01.html

As someone who's new to Lightwave's tools
How would you go about breaking up and aligning a model for mapping using Meni's method?

thanks for insights,

mm

Daniel
02-04-2002, 02:48 AM
it is realy hard to UV-Texture a SubDiv head!

so I would use a NON UV solution, front mapping etc. with alpha maps. Much better!!! But yes, for some parts U can use a UV Map (like the mouth etc.)

But be carefull!

:)

cya.

Ibanezhead
02-05-2002, 07:07 AM
An easier way in my opinion is to select areas that will be painted the same and then apply Atlas mapping coordinates. Then Unweld them and move them around in the UV viewport and fit them together like a puzzle. This works best for optimized, lower poly meshes. Assign everything to the same map, but use different layers for each area to make it easier to work. Then combine it all in the end. You have one map and everthing unwrapped. Meni's way, if I can remember correctly, requires you to actually deform geometry, but this way only requires you to move polies and verts in the UV viewport...

Vic

Bug_Eyed_Earl
02-07-2002, 06:56 PM
You need to first decide how you want it broken up. Take a box for example. Obviously we just want the faces to all be unwraped and face the front.
So we moke our box - and then make a new endomorph (bottom right - M - New).
Now comes the unweldingof the relevant points. you can actually unweld them all if you like and then rotate the polys to face the one side - but thats obviously not worth while :). So you just unweld some and rotate. Now you assign a texture map to the box (planar map).

I think you know the rest - right?

Any more questions? (Im not always clear when I type)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.