T4D
09-01-2004, 05:37 PM
updates for all :thumbsup:

http://www.newtek.com

go for it :buttrock:

Para
09-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Oh my! :eek:

Ah dang, can't download the patch. I haven't registered yet (or so the system claims) so I tried to re-register and I was smacked with the following message:

"This serial number has never been sold. Please contact customer service at 1-800-toaster, if you need assistance."

Okayyy...what am I holding in my hand then? :D

Chuck Baker
09-01-2004, 05:49 PM
NewTek is pleased to announce the release of the first update to LightWave [8]! Designated Revision 8.0.1, the update provides dozens of stability enhancements to LightWave [8], already noted as one of the most rock-solid releases ever for the industry-leading 3D application. We are posting version 8.0.1 for download as of today.

"We're very pleased to be bringing our users the first update to LightWave [8]," said Dr. Andrew Cross, PhD., NewTek's Senior Vice President of Engineering. "LightWave [8] is already production-proven in some of the most demanding production pipelines in the film, television, and games industries. With this release the new development team has addressed many legacy issues, taking LightWave to a new level of dependability."

The updates are available at: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/index.html

(http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/index.html)NewTek also recently announced the LightWave® [8] Training Editions, limited time special offers for North American customers. The Upgrade version provides up to $190 in training materials FREE with purchase of a LightWave [8] Upgrade. LightWave [8] Training Edition - Full Seat, provides over $400 in training materials free to purchasers of a new license of LightWave 3D®. The free books and videos are provided by special arrangement with the publishers New Riders, Wordware Publishing and Kurv Studios. For information see http://www.newtek.com/buynow.

policarpo
09-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Hrmmm....a little disappointing on the OSX version here so far

1. I still can't see my selected points in Shaded modes in Modeler.
2. The .PSD exporter still doesn't open correctly in Photoshop (the layers need to be rearranged)- but what's hilarious about all of this, is that it looks fine in the image preview.
3. Scene Editor is still a little buggy (I clicked the Envelope button a few too many times under the Light Color column and Layout froze up).

Ho hum....i'll note other bugs I find as I run across them.

Cheers.

:argh:

Orkman
09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
I am scared to download it. What are the notable improvements?

brap
09-01-2004, 06:38 PM
1. I still can't see my selected points in Shaded modes in Modeler.
:argh:
I won't be installing until I finish a current project, but there is no mention in the bug-fix list of anything addressed in the OGL issues dept.

Chuck Baker
09-01-2004, 06:39 PM
The items addressed are listed in the readme, and we also have that text on the web page:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/lw801.html

Items that have not yet been addressed will of course be addressed in a future update.

Chuck Baker
09-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Oh my! :eek:

Ah dang, can't download the patch. I haven't registered yet (or so the system claims) so I tried to re-register and I was smacked with the following message:

"This serial number has never been sold. Please contact customer service at 1-800-toaster, if you need assistance."

Okayyy...what am I holding in my hand then? :D
LightWave users registered with NewTek Europe should visit http://www.newtek-europe.com to download their updates to 8.0.1 and 7.5d.

Para
09-01-2004, 06:44 PM
LightWave users registered with NewTek Europe should visit http://www.newtek-europe.com to download their updates to 8.0.1 and 7.5d.

Allright, works now. Thanks :thumbsup:

Dennik
09-01-2004, 06:49 PM
For some reason the online docs seem to be broken. When i click on any menu item, it keeps loading the page forever.

Signal2Noise
09-01-2004, 07:11 PM
:eek: Wow! For a point zero point one update there's quite a few fixes! Good job, NewTek.:thumbsup:

NanoGator
09-01-2004, 07:21 PM
Hey Chuck,

Just wanted to say 'thank you' to both you and everybody involved in getting this working. I'm particularly impressed that 7.5 got an update as well, very classy!

:thumbsup:

TRick
09-01-2004, 08:15 PM
The items addressed are listed in the readme...Is there also a list for the 300+ issues that have been resolved in 7.5d ???

HowardM
09-01-2004, 08:51 PM
THANK YOU Newtek!

It appears that FX "Looplock" has been snuffed out 90% of the time, but I am still running into issues when I select another program and return to LW.

Anyone else?

I notice now when you hit Calculate that the Obj Props panel is kept in focus even if you try to move it or select another panel. This seems to stop you from doing anything before aborting using Ctrl.

But as I said, if you hit Calculate, select the IE window for instance, and return to LW and try to hit Ctrl, you will get the usual "Not Responding" lockup.

While some have reported they are refreshed once LW has calculated, this is still not acceptable because sometimes the timeline is set to 500 frames and who has time to wait?!

I would like an abort that works everytime please!

Thanks guys!

I look forward to any other fixes I come across.

m.d.
09-02-2004, 02:21 AM
Good job Newtek

fixed a bunch of things that always crashed LW for me....

proper PSD RLA RPF exports would be cool in the future, and I'm sure thats coming:)

T4D
09-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Sorry i beat you to the punch there chuck :)
it was 2:30 in the morning here and my daughter was sick
( watching shrek at that late hour is odd, normally the gray screen of LW forces me to straight to bed ) but after Shrek i had to have a web surf and there it was :eek:

where i am ( PC land ) it's a great update
and the list on the site is excellent Great work guys very happy you posted the list :love:
looking forward to the new features in 8.1 or will that be 8.2 ? :bounce:

michaelb
09-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Is IK Booster fixed yet? I didn't see that in the list.

devin
09-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the update. It makes me feel tons better about my investments in LW and Newtek.

Signal2Noise
09-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Well, with the update I was hoping Cycler would have been fixed based on this phrase on NewTek's update info page: "Cycler ‘Control Lower Value’ has no effect". According to sources Cycler has been "broke" since one of the 7.5 updates. I went through Dan's Cycler tutorial in Inside LW 7 (Chapter 15) and sure enough Cycler is still not working!!!:banghead:

The minute Cycler is added to a keyframed animation nothing will work!

Exper
09-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks to NT for the first Update...
but...
LW 8.0.1 Software Fixes list doesn't mention the RayTracing optimizations!

Am I blind... or they're not yet included? :banghead:

TRick
09-03-2004, 11:51 AM
As a former developer we had

0.01 releases for fixes
0.1 releases for fixes and optimizations and
1. releases for fixes, optimizations and features.

So with 8.01 I'm very glad with the fixes. It may also show that NT has left the .a/b/c/d numbering scheme so it should be more clear on what to expect...

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.