PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! Avalanche!: HowardM

HowardM
09-01-2004, 03:16 PM
My humble begining....
:D
www.theobject.net/margol/avatest.mov (http://www.theobject.net/margol/avatest.mov)

Hexodam
09-01-2004, 03:22 PM
nice start, what software are you using?

HowardM
09-01-2004, 03:23 PM
thanks!

Lightwave 8.0

coremi
09-01-2004, 04:10 PM
very nice, can't wait to see more... Right now is a bit floating, but looking good, good luck.

Kvaalen
09-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Heh... cool start. It looks a bit more like smoke than snow, but I know you'll improve it. :)

Lightwave 8.0Why does somehting tell me that this is soon gonig to change to 8.0.1? :p

maddness
09-01-2004, 05:14 PM
good start. usually, from the avalanches i've seen on tv and stuff, the puffs are usually at the top, and then as the avalanche moves down some, gravity takes controll from there on. But good job so far, way to represent the LW community...

wildekyote
09-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Great start. Only thing that I see so far is that the flow of an avalanche on that terrain would flow off to the left of the camera, where you have it coming to the camera along the peaks. The last few seconds look like its turning to the right which appears to be uphill. Not certain though since I can't truly make out the terrain at that point. My point is from what I know it'll flow like water down the terrain. It's going to take the easiest path it can which in this case appears to be off the left of the screen.

HowardM
09-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys!

Test # 2 - http://www.theobject.net/margol/ava2.mov

eh, not too happy with these results...still too smokey, and the whole thing is moving down the mountain WAY too fast....but at least the billowing looks better.

this is gonna take alot more R&D! :p

Hexodam
09-02-2004, 04:14 PM
the middle part is very good but the start expecialy needs to work, it needs to start in a slope

wildekyote
09-02-2004, 04:16 PM
definate improvement. I think you should have much of a problem producing a solid entry for this challenge

m.d.
09-02-2004, 04:55 PM
billowing is better.... lookin pretty good.

i expect to see great things in the next few weeks:thumbsup:

joss3D
09-03-2004, 02:20 PM
you have a very cool render.
Is there self shadows on particles?

The avalanche would better start in the middle of the montagne (not the top) in oder to simulate a crack in the snow.
Maybe you don't have time to improve the emition.

good luck for next ;)

HowardM
09-03-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

Test # 3 - http://www.theobject.net/margol/ava3.mov

same motion as #2, better angle, and some tweaks to the HVs themselves.
going to play with keeping everything on the ground more, although I kinda like the jumps off
the ridges :D
...also I may slow the overall fall down, its a little fast.

as for the begining, dont worry Ive got plans for something starting the avalanche from above!

joss - these have self shadows but not textured shadows and no raytraced shadows as the render times skyrocket!

whew....testing this is a bitch! takes forever to do low res tests...

Where is WORLEY and my 100x faster HVs in fprime!? :P

pixelmonk
09-03-2004, 05:04 PM
My humble begining....
www.theobject.net/margol/avatest.mov (http://www.theobject.net/margol/avatest.mov)
need to surface the mountain a bit more with bumps... maybe use some instanced trees too scattered near the bottom. Also, use some post processing for blurring when you focus in and out. That'll make the zoom in and out and camera motion a bit more believeable.

HowardM
09-03-2004, 06:30 PM
of course Pixel, these are just tests

thanks!

softdistortion
09-05-2004, 12:24 AM
GD preemptive critics :)

...looks good for just tests!

HowardM
09-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Test #4 - snow flow http://www.theobject.net/margol/ava4.mov

and http://www.theobject.net/margol/ava4a.mov

Testing out the bottom layer, tried to do Surface HVs but just cant get em to look right! :sad:
..will have to try later. I think this will work if I have alot more particles and smaller clumps...

HowardM
09-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Test #5 trying out more base snow - http://www.theobject.net/margol/ava5.mov

HVs are being a bitch, its very difficult to keep the shadows light and the main snow bright without blowing it out...notice when they hit the shadow of the mountain they get kinda too dark.

A couple more million particles and a few months to render....
:eek:

doe
09-07-2004, 07:04 AM
the snow moves a little bit to fast for an avalanche, more friction to the ground. but besides that its looking really nice.

colkai
09-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Looking Good HM, I agree about the speed, but niiice! :applause:

I think Newtek should consider getting (paying) you to do some VTM's on all these dynamic tricks your doing, I'm sure the community would love the chance to see just what you can do.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Triple G
09-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Looking good Howard...the speed comment is the only thing so far that really stands out. The snow just doesn't seem to have very much mass...it's not very menacing, as I'm sure a real avalanche would be (hope I never have to find out!) :scream:

*edit*
Forgot to ask you, Howard...are you using sprites for your HVs? I find that sprites really kinda suck for getting good shading and keeping any kind of texture detail...that problem of blown-out highlights is exactly the problem I'm facing. I wish I had the processing power to use volumes for everything, but well...hehe...I haven't found the time yet to set up my Texas-sized render farm. :rolleyes: :p

softdistortion
09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
looking good!
Howard already knows about this (He gave me some tips in the thread, thanks again HM!), but some other LWrs might be interested in this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=109006&page=1&pp=15&highlight=pepito+avalanche) that happened a while back. Some interesting stuff in here on particles. The main files are gone, but there are some mirror links in there somewhere. ;)

3DDave
09-07-2004, 07:14 PM
It looks strange starting from the tip top of the mountain.

HowardM
09-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys!

3G- I used Sprites for these last few tests just to try out the front wave....the smokey ones are Volumes.
I bet the 2 mixed will do nicely.

If I had 6 months to work on this for film :p I could get it perfect with TONS of pfx and render in time, but Im thinking at 320x480 the final renders will have to be kinda lowres to make the deadline! :sad:

colkai- hehe thanks to you and the others whove asked, ...but who knows, maybe soon? :p

JohnnyRandom
09-10-2004, 05:58 PM
just scolled the thread and checked out your test shots. They are looking quite nice, like the paths the particles are taking.

As I have a little bit of experience dealing with real-world avalanches I thought I would offer my two-cents...
FYI in the occurence of avalaches there are a few different types the two most common are:

Point Release (the avalanche starts from say a clump of snow falling from a tree), this somewhat resembles what you are trying to achieve. Usually these occur after fresh snowfalls, creating highly unstable conditions.

The second most common type is a slab avalanche ( can be a new snow soft slab or an older more condensed snow hard slab). As the name suggest, slabs are just that huge consolidated blocks of snow and are usually triggered by weighter objects such as explosives or skiers.

There certianly are many more factors than I wish to explian here but as with all avalanches from release zone through the track they generally "collect" more snow as they reach there apex.
So as it contunies down the steeper parts of the track the avalanche "grows" larger and larger. As the slope angle begins to decrease, this is when the speed of the avalanche begins to recede and growth slows down exponentially.

This may be something to take into consideration during your development process.
Will most likely be a cpu cruncher but setting your particle system to spawn on collision might make it look alot more believable.
Don't know how much time you wish to spend on this but another fact is the track that is left after the snow has passed it quite visible from start to finish.

Hope this is of help and will check back to see how things are coming. Keep up the great work :D

wildekyote
09-11-2004, 03:17 AM
There certianly are many more factors than I wish to explian here but as with all avalanches from release zone through the track they generally "collect" more snow as they reach there apex.
So as it contunies down the steeper parts of the track the avalanche "grows" larger and larger. As the slope angle begins to decrease, this is when the speed of the avalanche begins to recede and growth slows down exponentially.Other than the speed which has been talked about, the other thing that came to mind was the collection as dizzl8r spoke of. I think you've come a long way with a great avalanche. I think your on a track to push teh limits of this challenge. Keep it up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.