PDA

View Full Version : question about facial animation

Capt.Jackass
08-07-2002, 04:14 AM
this is probably a newbie question, but i'm new to facial animation. I'm a 3ds max user and i was wondering which method is the best for creating facial movement, morph targets? or some sort of multiple bone controllers all over the face? any feed back would be most appreciative.

pete
08-07-2002, 09:20 AM
I'd say morph targets. Setting up a bones structure for facial animation sounds like it would be pretty painfull, especially if your new at it...

Apparantly Max 5 has some advanced morph stuff so that could make it even easier (to crash that is).

this could also be helpfull to you

- Mouthshapes -

http://www.geocities.com/~gcmartin/mouth_shapes.html

Capt.Jackass
08-08-2002, 08:21 PM
thanks sfink! that page really helped, and a lot of people i talked to seem to prefer the morph target approach

Frinsklen
08-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Hi,

I prefer morph targets too. I know nothing about new morphs in max 5, though.
However, sometimes it's better to use a bone that opens and closes the jaw, in order to save some targets, specially in characters with big mouths and jaws. This means that you don't need a target for "smile-open" and another one for "smile-closed", you just have one target "smile" and then you rotate the bone to open and close the mouth.

:lightbulb Here are some targets and muscles:
>> http://d3d.com/heads/Art/round_4/jack.html <<

Cheers.

pete
08-13-2002, 02:12 AM
Thanks man, that page is excellent,

Gary Faigin's Facial Expressions is pretty cool too, one of my workmates has it.

Max 5's morpher allows you to create inbetween morph targets so the verts don't just go from one position straight to the other...

At the moment though you can do it in max 4 by creating an inbetween morph shape in the morph modifier and then linking it to another target with the reactor controller.
You do need to tweak it a bit but it but it works.
I used it for when an eyeball was showing through the eyelid of a character when it blinked..

Ahh sorry, I thought this was in the max section......

TheDevil[DK]
08-17-2002, 06:04 AM
Sfinktinator> Thanks for that link... I search 100 years for that link since i lost it !!!!

:wip: :buttrock: :beer: :bounce:

TheDevil[DK]
08-17-2002, 06:31 AM
http://www.geocities.com/~gcmartin/phoneme_examples.html

Adam
08-31-2002, 05:24 PM
How thanks for all the links this is exactly what I was looking for too.

:beer:

ed209
08-31-2002, 09:04 PM
If you really wan't to go nuts with an animated face use both bone and morph targets. The bones would be used to exagerate what morph targets you already have created to give you more play with the amount of control in the shape of the face. It can be very usefull but really depends on how much time you have for setup.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.