PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! - Hero In Shinning Armor :), Spellcraft Studio (Animation)

spellcraft
09-01-2004, 02:04 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/8244/8244_1094004275_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycrits/8244/8244_1094004275.jpg)

Title: Yeah! - Hero In Shinning Armor :)
Name: Spellcraft Studio
Software: 3dsmax 4, Brazil, Cs 3, Clothfx, Bodypaint 2

Hello,

I like to introduce the hero of my short film project "yeah! - the movie" (still in production)...

www.yeahthemovie.de (http://www.yeahthemovie.de/)
(divx=640x480; mov=480x360; mpg=320x240)

this test-animation was done to check out some cloth simulation with complex character animation (fast moves, jumps and turns)...

well... what was meant to be a 2 week test turned out as a 6 week try and error... with the conclusion that complex cloth simulation is still a nightmare...

Best Regards,
Vadim

Shaykai
09-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Saw this on your site the other day and i was wondering when you were going to post on CGT, fantastic job on the animation. Looks very very natural. Was it hand keyframed?

Shaykai

rattlesnake
09-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Wow!!.your site is truly amazing....all the animations there are stunning...im very impressed!:thumbsup:
Im a fan!:bounce::love:

Lebowitz
09-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Very Impressive... I have work with cloth before and my hat is off to you......music and style is fantastic as well...

Slurry
09-01-2004, 03:56 AM
Looks like a mix of mocap and keys to me. The acting has that awkward, guy in a suit feel just moving around, not knowing what to do. I'm in a mocap suit so I have to just keep moving randomly.

Really cool just the same though. He's an interesting looking character.

Gene_C
09-01-2004, 03:58 AM
beautiful! the character acting made me laugh, you could really get a good feel for what each one was all about, very cool. The texturing was also very nice, not over done, but it suited these characters well. sweet.

moviejunkie101
09-01-2004, 03:58 AM
looks damn good! all the animations are great!

Per-Anders
09-01-2004, 04:00 AM
simply the best peice of "realistic" cg animation i've seen, even if it's mocap on the body, the facial animation is so well keyed. completely shames all those ironing board zombies that i've seen in other cg works (including and especially where they've used mocap) where they've been trying to go for realism (i realise this model is charicatured, but not to such an intense degree, and the animation just makes it feel totally real) love the little touches, like the tongue movement.

if you can keep up this level of quality throughout the project :thumbsup:

Tigerdog
09-01-2004, 04:02 AM
This is really cool work, nice job!

JRBRAZ
09-01-2004, 04:17 AM
Amazing work. The animation is very good. I know your job since last year and I love your Idea, the little mosters and the girl. Just amazing. Congrats. :applause:

andy_maxman
09-01-2004, 04:23 AM
hollyMolly!
The attitude , look & feel reminded me of a dear friend of mine.
I envy you whole-heartedly man. The entire yeahSeries is so awe-inspiring. I love the hero's facials too. Pure attitude man.
:bowdown: andyBoy!

ps - when are you out with the making honey! it's long overDue. :cry:

btw - Is that a trick with the camera or has he moved closer to the camera towards the end? Very well executed either ways.

skillet
09-01-2004, 04:30 AM
what else can I say ?

Great as always.

Is there really a movie ?

was that motion captured ? Or hand / or both ?
whtever it was It was very good. I'm completky sold either way.

Later AW

Ac0rN
09-01-2004, 04:47 AM
ey, great animations .... remember your stuff already 2 years ago when you posted the that monster and thoes other small monster animtions, really nice stuff... saw the girl animation a while ago too, really exelent stuff

great work guys :thumbsup:

edit: Ugh.. :surprised cant belive your still working with max 4...

B.R.Rajeev
09-01-2004, 05:09 AM
iam totally amazed by the work - as always its tooo good. really awesome work. looking forward to see more.
+

Vayu
09-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Hi!!

The best 3D short job that I have seem!!!:thumbsup:

Vayu

Lee3dee
09-01-2004, 05:24 AM
looked and moved so lifelike, I had to watch it twice. really nice job. Looks like Bono at bit :D

teSSa
09-01-2004, 05:25 AM
FWWHOAH!!! awesome stuff, man...
is this a studio-sponsored indie short?
Hero looks almost too real... he scares me.
not as scary as Boss tho.. *LOL*

Can't wait 'til it's done.

pogonip
09-01-2004, 05:28 AM
I have seen your work for a long while now and think your one of the best animators out there !!!

SquirrelyJones
09-01-2004, 05:53 AM
that is one of the most realistic human character animation I have ever seen, not because of the way he looks, but the way he moves is incredibly life-like. Did you use any mocap? The look could use a little more work if your going for photo-realism but the animation is right on, blows what square did with final fantasy away. Some motion blur to top it off is all it's missing. :thumbsup:

AndyH
09-01-2004, 05:58 AM
Frickin outstanding!
The cloth and the whole style of the guy is some of the best ive ever seen in CG!
Very convincing!
I think the woman animation is a bit short, and doesnt seem as impressive as the guy, but theyre all great.
Cant wait to see more on this short.

JamesMK
09-01-2004, 06:29 AM
Outstanding! The bar has been set! Best of luck with the rest of your work.

ThomasMahler
09-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Hey Vadim,

I would love to see some wires of your characters - They're amazing! As I started 3d your stuff kept me motivated... great work, very inspirational!

Cyborgguineapig
09-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Holy crud man I'm going to feel sick, the animation is incredible and was the first animation in a while that made me laugh out loud.

G-Prime
09-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Goovey babey... :cool:

gpepper
09-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Amazing, as usual !
Keep the faith !

dafonz
09-01-2004, 07:15 AM
simply mindblowing

bash
09-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Amazing! :D
One og the best I've ever seen. The facial expressions.. everything...
Looks great! :D

jddog
09-01-2004, 07:20 AM
I have no words, just :thumbsup: + :bowdown:
jdd

DerPapa
09-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Alter Schwede! Das ist ja der Hammer!

Can't believe this is hand animated! :eek:
So well timed and smooth. Perfekt!

Prepare for some heavy traffic on your site!

Michael

xjgd4321
09-01-2004, 07:35 AM
wow!
Very good work ! :applause:

Mikademius
09-01-2004, 08:20 AM
I highly doubt that is all animated by manual keyframing. My guess is a mix of mo-cap and keyframing.
If I'm wrong.... then God help us animators across the rest of the globe...
Amazing look and feel to it. Maybe I should get one of those T-shirt..hmm

Werner
09-01-2004, 08:28 AM
can anyone post the direct link to the test animation? I'm having a hard finding it on the site.

thanks

LanZ
09-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Cool! I'm going to visit your website more frequently from now on.

jason-slab
09-01-2004, 08:44 AM
i'm with werner. i can't find it:shrug: guess it's got to do with some of our local servers cache? maybe

|js

Libor
09-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Yeah it looks really promising from render you have posted, but as others said I cant find the video too!

Could someone post direct link for that video?

Thx in advance!

Geta-Ve
09-01-2004, 09:12 AM
heres the link, hope no one minds me doing this... http://www.yeahthemovie.de/html/avis/yeah_hero_intro.mov
anyways i watched it and my reaction was THAT...IS....SOOOOO COOOL! lol

really great job man, hats off to you :)

jason-slab
09-01-2004, 09:29 AM
sweet thx Geta-Ve :thumbsup:

GREAT WORK, such a cool style :thumbsup: x10

|jason

nikotin
09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
i see it like a mirror... very grat it's a beautiful picture....

mattmos
09-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Sweet! Jaw-droppingly good animation and facial setup - very natural, congrats!

fatty_g2
09-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Holy Crackbabies

Geta-Ve
09-01-2004, 09:40 AM
just so you guys know there are many more test animations which are all stunning, but to spare his bandwidth ill let you guys find em yourself :D

StephD
09-01-2004, 10:01 AM
excellent ! :thumbsup:
the facial animation is really good ...especially the smile a the end :applause:

Bonsai
09-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Great work folks, as usual. Keep it up :)

Youth
09-01-2004, 10:45 AM
Excellent!
Making of, would be good!!

DP
09-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Amazing as always... can't wait to see that short... thou it's been a long time under way... ;)

XenaTrek
09-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Great job.
XenaTrek.

Tonik
09-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Wow. Amazing work. All the stuff on the site is hugely impressive. Can't fault the animation.

BTW there are couple of spelling mistakes there - don't know if the knight in "Shinning" armour bit's intentional but on the front page there's "coffe mugs".

MFTituS
09-01-2004, 12:19 PM
i love your work so.....
the boss, creeps, an amazon and the hero - it looks like a crazy mix and i can´t wait to see the whole shortfilm.
your animationtests are great and full of creativity.
unbelievable that only one man can do this all :thumbsup:

ZenoArt
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Wohooow that's really amazing ... some parts look like mo-cap, others don't ... but still, your characters look more alive than most "realistic" 3d-characters ... great job :D

blax_ed
09-01-2004, 12:42 PM
super geil! wunderbarer backround .. .geniale bewegungen und sausstarke texturenn

schöne grüsse aus giessen nach Berlin...

simply amazing .. beautiful backround .. genius movements an amazing textures

greetz to berlin from giessen...

Janine
09-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey Vadim, I hope you won't get snapped up by some company before you finish that movie! :D

Great to see that you're still working on it, I love the style and music, especially of the new hero animation. The hero is full of expression, has lots of character. Now show me the movie!!

niki
09-01-2004, 01:35 PM
GREAT work... absolutely... did you use the mo-cap?

AdamT
09-01-2004, 01:38 PM
Top-notch work all the way around, and funny too. :)

nizzi
09-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Really awesome work. Very nice animation and model.

nucstle
09-01-2004, 02:19 PM
I've been following your site for a long while. I love your stuff it's really good.

The hero is a great new addition. Great attitude, you should give him Elvis glasses instead of the aviator ones.

Dennik
09-01-2004, 02:20 PM
The character is awesome, the animation can be compared to that of Gollum, and far better than the mocaped crap in Polar Express. Hats off man, don't know how you did it, but with a good story and direction, you may become the Pixar of Europe realy soon!

Flip_Render
09-01-2004, 02:40 PM
It's all so good,,, :eek:
It's true that the hero looks like mocap, but most of us are used to see classic Disney / WB - style animation when keyframed by hand. I can spot that stuff (exaggeration, anticipation etc.) with the creeps.
I really like the design on the hero. A lot of humour in it!

Making stuff with this quality must take a while? If you guys can make a living with other things, then take your time with Yeah! and finish it!

I don't know about the script and the storyboard, but I think they eventually decide on the success of a film. Nevertheless the modelling, texturing, animation, rendering are all so good, that I hope the storytelling is in par..

I hope all of luck to you with this project, and don't kill yourself with work :thumbsup:

Pokeroo
09-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that monster boss featured in nVIDIA's book title Cg Tutorial! Finally, I can appreciate the work in its entirety.

Mirandinha
09-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Amazing! You did it again Vadim! :applause: I've been waiting for this :bounce: Can't wait to see the whole short!!! Keep it up!

webhead
09-01-2004, 03:20 PM
I eat up everything I can find on this short. Great to see another update! The "hero" looks like a great character. I can't wait to see more of him. Any chance you could post a nice shot of the Amazon? Doesn't seem like nearly enough shots/animations of her on the website. Looking forward to the final work! :bounce:

Silver Sliver
09-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Just incredible! This is one of the best work of char design and animation i've ever seen. I just can't wait to see the complete movie

spellcraft
09-01-2004, 03:23 PM
Hello,

thanks for all the kind response...!!! :)

the animation is key framed... with the help of video references (of myself jumping around in front of a camera)... although I'm not a good actor it helps a lot acting out the scenes, trying different moves before doing the animation itself...

Vadim

Flip_Render
09-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I recognize the Boss from Splutterfish's Gallery section as well.

It's smart using rotoscopy (if U can call it that in 3D), saves a lot of time with the timing and weighting. It looks great!

I saw Nvidia and Splutterfish being sponsors on the project. How do they contribute to the project? Software and hardware, I suppose :)

Do you use a renderfarm? It's commonly known, that Brazil is not the ultimate solution for GI calculations in animation, especially compared with Final Render and Vray.

I was quite sure that I saw render-time displacement mapping there. How did you cheat it? With bumps? Now that Brazil does not currently support displacement mapping (untill v.2).

Frankyboy
09-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Very nice. The cloth is outstanding. What tool did you use for the cloth?

thhchx
09-01-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm sure Spellcraft is well versed in traditional animation principles.. hand keyed and all that, rotoscoping or having video references plus some of his own creative input, it's fine. Pixar guys do that too, just that they add lots of their creative inputs and stylised their stuffs..besides just following video references (or rotoscoping).

This work is great. I'm getting impatient to see his final film. Keep up the good work. I'm also keeping an eye out for your 'making of' series.

AndHolzmeister
09-01-2004, 04:33 PM
That animation is really amazing... did u use the video just as a reference or did you rotoscope it over it??? Gotta yourself a new fan!... can´t see any thing that I could critic in here... the shading is fine, the model is fine, and the animation is really great, cant even find a major trouble with the cloth simulation, wich is very good too, maybe theguy in the first jump needs a little more weight, but well, great work!

HenningK
09-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Using video reference is not rotoscoping. Rotoscoping is tracing a video image in 2D. In 3D it would be something like projecting your live video behind your 3D character and matching the poses frame by frame or key by key.
These tests are amazing in every account and one thing one can't roto is the facial expression of the hero in close up. That little bit was perhaps the coolest thing I've seen on CGtalk... you need to see the DivX version to appreciate it. Can't wait...
love,hen

TheFish
09-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Perfect, nothing to say, good luck for the rest. I am sure that it will be a very good film.

manlio
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Really impressed! :eek:

Excellent job!

rock
09-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Although it is not motion-captured and even if it is, I think this is the finest character animation that I have ever seen - better than even Square's Final Fantasy movie. It also proved that human observation is still more important than software supremacy. :)

dcmoutinho
09-01-2004, 06:13 PM
very nice !!!

motion capture ?

Orion71
09-01-2004, 06:22 PM
one small crit...his arms and hands jumped out at me, that they looked a tad too long and big, respectively.

o

marciowski
09-01-2004, 06:30 PM
It's very very good! I love it!

I love his expression! For me, this is the "coolest" thing.
by the way, his attitude is very cool! He remembers me Bruce Campbell.

Hey, can you post here the reference video you used?

It may be funny as hell!

Congratu "****ing" lations!!! :buttrock:

marque-pierre
09-01-2004, 06:36 PM
Man, everything is great. The modelling, texturing, rendering, character design and definitely the animation! It just ****ing rocks! Please tell me you work for either ILM or Pixar or have turned both down repeatedly in the past few months!!!

Can we see some wireframes or texture sheets? How many bones in them there rigs? Pretty please with sugar on top!:scream:

wavestone
09-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Awesome animation man! this stuff is improving my patriotism :D .... a damn good piece of work.... I love this last Monster falling down *lol* ... and the main chars kind of dancing, and so on .... ;)

greetings,
wavestone

agreenster
09-01-2004, 08:01 PM
This blows my mind, dude. Very good stuff

herbertV399
09-01-2004, 08:05 PM
This is cleary motion capture.
Under this circumstances a professional is looking not as much on the motion capture animation, but on the transitions between motion captura animation and keypoint animation.

I recognise typical problems while using motion capture - especially the transitions between where motion capture data touches keypoint animation. I big part the keypoint animation is egdgy, reminding me alot of the movement of your little characters what you are using in your animation - suddenly loosing weight and the priorities of body part movements.

Very nice texturing, good modelling, but one should menshane out of fare play
- this is clearly MOTION CAPTURE - just for the people who are not animators.
Not even rotoscoping.
Regards and best luck with your animation.

gent_k
09-01-2004, 08:27 PM
Hey, I was waiting for updates on your movie for a long time, Stunning work!!

HenningK
09-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Dude, herb, he said about 20 posts ago it was off a reference video. This isnt MoCap. Mocap can't do this. Mocap sucks.
-hen

Paul F Diaz
09-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Awesome! Cant wait till its done!

herbertV399
09-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Dude, HenningK, motion capture this is - and it doesn't suck.
I am professionally working with mocap, and I allways recognize it - even if people claim this not the case.

1 machine for mocap cost at least 1mil $ - and this is not for NO REASON.

Siggraph 2004 - tousends of people witnessed and tried out the highest capabilities of this machines - exactly looking like most of the sequences of this animation here - with strange jumps at some moments of simple movement and strange transitions between normal dancing movement with MOCAP and than not realistical movement which is keypoint animation.

Not to menshane that several posts before several people recognised mocap.
Again good luck to the animation.

DimitrisLiatsos
09-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey friend ..congrats.Not only a superb animation and style but more..

a) those little bastards running around at the beginning and with the sounds they made...man they are so funny.
b) Your guy has wayyyyy cool style. He is so realistic and at the same time so cool moves as if his cartoonish. Brilliant ..i watched the movie at leat a dozen times....and when he says "YEAH"...hahahah bravo.

:bounce: :bounce:

DKMNZ
09-01-2004, 10:18 PM
really cant wait till the movie!!
that cloth on the overcoat is really good

HenningK
09-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Well, about whether or not its MoCap, I'll trust the guy who's been in Expose (although that honor, I know, says nothing about his animation skill), Vadim himself. And though Im not a professional with a supernatural ability to detect them, here I see none of the strange jumps or transitions which i attribute to Mocap elsewhere.

Quote: "the animation is key framed... with the help of video references" -spellcraft

MacSilva
09-01-2004, 10:48 PM
I don't care what people say... This is one of the best human character animation I have ever seen!! :buttrock:

I agree ipsis litteris with DimitrisLiatsos!! hahahaha... cool stuff!

Laa-Yosh
09-01-2004, 10:51 PM
I am professionally working with mocap, and I allways recognize it - even if people claim this not the case.

It is definitely roto from video reference, obvious to see.

Or do you think that the little guys are mocap as well? :) Those had to be hand animated, and if one can do that, he can certainly do the other as well...

richardvacheresse
09-02-2004, 12:47 AM
it has to be the hat...that is why i love it.

R32
09-02-2004, 01:04 AM
[QUOTE=herbertV399]Dude, HenningK, motion capture this is - and it doesn't suck.

QUOTE]

"the animation is key framed... with the help of video references (of myself jumping around in front of a camera)... although I'm not a good actor it helps a lot acting out the scenes, trying different moves before doing the animation itself..."

I think Vadim would know if he used motion capture or not. Fantastic work Vadim!!

Okan
09-02-2004, 01:33 AM
ihh, great great work. One of the shorts i had seen..Well the problem is, usually these kind of shorts make me inspired. But this one didn't..It made me feel bad that i've really work a looot more to be good like this, in character animation..I'm serious.. :)

erilaz
09-02-2004, 01:51 AM
Incredible work as always! Is it too much to ask to see your rig? :D

geron
09-02-2004, 02:30 AM
great work . he says "it's not mocap" and that's enough for me . anyway I like the character :)
and t-shirt : "viva me" :) thanks for sharing.

captain3d
09-02-2004, 03:18 AM
woah 85 out of 10. Very exciting to see.

Phil

bought a couple of shirts to support the project.

sgtsam
09-02-2004, 04:03 AM
Ahh, this work is quite pleasing for my eyes to rest upon.
Personally I think the computer is motion capturing the animator. I think it rather funny that this thread has turned into a big debate on wheather it is mo-capped or not. Clearly the animation is remarkable and lies on the border of detectability. Personally I think the artist should use whatever method they like, and whatever gets the job done. A very nice piece with loads of personallity.

andy_maxman
09-02-2004, 04:55 AM
the animation is key framed... Vadim
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

folks! the mocap issue reminds me of the scuffle that was created with Gollum.

erilaz - you bet i would love to see the rig too.... infact
i wantsss it...

phoenix
09-02-2004, 05:17 AM
very cute man ....

thhchx
09-02-2004, 05:57 AM

1 machine for mocap cost at least 1mil $ - and this is not for NO REASON.

Siggraph 2004 - tousends of people witnessed and tried out the highest capabilities of this machines - exactly looking like most of the sequences of this animation here - with strange jumps at some moments of simple movement and strange transitions between normal dancing movement with MOCAP and than not realistical movement which is keypoint animation.

Not to menshane that several posts before several people recognised mocap.
Again good luck to the animation.
Perhaps you can point out where are the places in the test animation that, you think, have gone thru' mocap?

Frankly speaking, I do know that it can be done using video references to achieve such believeable movements and actions, though I won't want to stress that it has gone thru' mocap. At the end of the day, it all depends upon the animator himself (I do know that there are many animators out there who can do such things without relying on mocap - and only on video references, just that they don't post their works online).

fishhead
09-02-2004, 06:03 AM
First things first: this is a damn fine piece of work you have there Vadim!!! :applause:

Second: I really couldn´t care less wether it is based on mocap or videoreference, rotoscoping whatever... No matter how Vadim achieved this piece, it is so outstanding in almost every single aspect!

Definetely one of the best cg - either in this spot or anywhere else - that I have seen to date.... period! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

YOU ROCK, Vadim! :thumbsup:

cheers,

- lo

(If you really want to find some weak points it will perhaps be the cloth deformation in certain spots...)

santiago
09-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Outstanding

Walx
09-02-2004, 07:29 AM
wow! quite funny he remind me of a guy I knew..lol

If the author say it's not moccap, why are some of you arguing this?
I don't understand people sometimes..

I love the littles ones!

Gonna follow your progress

great great job

I have downloaded all the other short movies and they are awsome as well:) You rock!

boottz
09-02-2004, 07:34 AM
me nor he/she would know how to count how many pieces
or how many times I counted...
always empty space I to help I know....

love light concept etc...

elektronaut
09-02-2004, 07:57 AM
whoa! great to see another stunning work from you!

berlin rocks! ;)

Bangladesh
09-02-2004, 09:21 AM
He is sooo-ooo most exellent; dude! The style, the way he does the "Karate chop-chop"-thing and rocks on with his legs... I'm out of breath. It's all so good. And the music! The Tarantino-feel of it all...

I'm... envyous... :D

It's funnier and feels more worked though than the amazon-running-clip. Maybe because it's sound too, but overall: Rocks. With Steelguitars. In the background. Period. :thumbsup:

luhna
09-02-2004, 10:20 AM
A M A Z I N G :eek::eek: ... I like your character animation :buttrock:
You can attach a wire????

PureFire
09-02-2004, 11:13 AM
dayuuumm!!...that is very impressive!!...well done

Waywyn
09-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi guys,

i also just wanna say thanks for the comments about the music and sfx.
vadim did a hell of a kickass-animation and i was really happy to do music and sfx for this.
... i am glad that you like it and i hope it fits the animation and the model like it should be :)

AndyWhiteley
09-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Wow, everything about this piece of work is amazing.
The animation and humour is spot on. As you are watching, there is a point in the movie where you suddenly realize that it looks so realistic and appreciate the hard work that has gone into the making of it.

I wish people would read the whole thread before posting 'is it motion capture' or 'definitely mo-cap'. I new as soon as I saw the movie that it was video referenced. The animation has a lot more character than could be obtained with mo-cap. Just wandering how closely it was rotoscoped.

The first I saw of Yeah! was on a real-time nVidia demo of the Boss. This alone was impressive.

Andy.

P.S. Any chance posting your original video that you shot, or would that be too embarrassing?

Bangladesh
09-02-2004, 12:32 PM
@Waywyn: Any chance there is a downloadable version of the song that's in the reel? Or, heaven forbid, a longer one? Have to ask cause, no offence to the clip, animation, lighting or modeling-wise; it's all great, but that little tune is really awsome! It makes at least 40-50% of the clip for me. :)

Madc0re
09-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Great piec of work.......i like everything, the animation is good.....You say that cloth simulation is a nightmare, but you got it to look good...my hat to you

Great job

yolk
09-02-2004, 01:31 PM
???

who???

youself??

xtrm3d
09-02-2004, 08:12 PM
hi vadim
congratulation..
wunderschone arbeit ...
werde versuchen dich zu besuchen wenn ich wieder uin berlin bin zu besuche
alles gut ...
und ..
really looking forward to see the final movie !!

andrewmartin
09-02-2004, 10:58 PM
...God help us animators across the rest of the globe...

I'll second that!

Incredible work! I loved everything about it!

Well done!

xtrm3d
09-02-2004, 11:03 PM
as much as i know.. ( meet him at his office )
he' is animating without mocap ..
the ogre and small guy' s are
just keyframing animation with the aide of some video footage as reference ..
but i may be wrong ... concerning the human cast ..

DerPapa
09-03-2004, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=fishhead]First things first: this is a damn fine piece of work you have there Vadim!!! :applause:

Second: I really couldn´t care less wether it is based on mocap or videoreference, rotoscoping whatever... No matter how Vadim achieved this piece, it is so outstanding in almost every single aspect!
QUOTE]

Sorry, but in my eyes it DOES matter how Vadim achieved this piece.
I remember a case where Posermodells where showed without credits, or a hint that the geometry was not modelled by the poster.
This is a 3D/2D community with a lot of Pros, who know how hard it is to modell a realistic head, or animate a piece like Vadim did. So it DOES matter if he does it with kexframes like just a few on the planet could do it, in this quality, or if he uses MoCap/rotoscope, like anyone else can do, on this planet, understand?

It DOES matter!

In fact I would feel better if Vadim would state it's rotoscoping :-)

cheers
Michael

Walx
09-03-2004, 01:58 AM
It DOES matter!

In fact I would feel better if Vadim would state it's rotoscoping :-)

cheers
Michael[/QUOTE]
sorry, but what does your feelings have to do with the technique someone else use?:)

He said he filmed himself, and based his animation on that. it must be a form of rotoscopy since he based himself on a video. Now, how he did it is only interesting on a technical point of view..the only important thing is the result.

We all know the thing is original, very well done, and that no plug-in, software, or pre-made model can do that easily now (or ever). Was it moccap, rotoscopy, or his grand-mother that helped him do, it doesn't matter.

Some people place the technique used way over the result, and it's not how it should be.

marque-pierre
09-03-2004, 03:12 AM
I remember a time I believed that the technique or the software or something else than talent and perspiration would do the tricks. Every time you hear a newbie asking which 3D app is better, that's the stage!

I agree, no matter how it's done, it is rock solid work, and the only negative thing I have to say, is that I am damn jealous! But I am not gonna let that fool me into trying to take points away from Vadim.

Rock solid work, no matter how you did or didn't do it!

Now show us some rigs, wires and textures!!!

DerPapa
09-03-2004, 10:18 AM
sorry, but what does your feelings have to do with the technique someone else use?:)

Maybe you missed the smiley behind the sentence.
marque_pierre said it more directly. Yes, I'm jealous too!:)

Michael

WQP
09-04-2004, 12:45 AM
Picture me - with that keanu reeves Matrix thingy - where he just goes "whoa!", that's all I can say :)

andy_maxman
09-08-2004, 04:29 AM
i suppose Vadim has locked himself up again to come up with yet another masterpiece of craftmanship and when he gets back to check all these posts i wonder what his reaction would be ?!

let there be light, Vadim...
amen!!!
andyBoy

ranjan
09-14-2004, 05:35 AM
Amazing wrk, great lighting, great tex, great modelling, great animation.
keyframe animation or motioncapture?

Waywyn
09-14-2004, 12:44 PM
i really wonder how many people read the other threads at least a little.
it is mentioned about a 100 times now :)

it is NO motion capture !!!

droon
09-16-2004, 09:35 AM
yeah, it's great! not perfect but pretty damn close. It's better then most stuff you c in the cinema's.. great sense of humour aswell.. i like the girl scene with the hand gun.. hehe "this is just a test". Is this for a feature film? about time someone kicked pixar and the dudes doing shrek of their thrones.

LondonCarlos
10-05-2004, 12:11 AM
I love your animations and can't wait for more. How's the film coming along?

izarpicture
10-27-2004, 06:23 AM
no critiques

just perfect

Agiv3D
10-31-2004, 09:11 PM
simply awesome

txx
11-01-2004, 01:51 AM
Very realistic animation. I would love to watch the movie. :applause:

attila
11-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Excellent work!

acromax
12-03-2004, 12:26 AM
It's really wonderful. I'm watching the movie 1 or 2 times in a day. Espacially the closer shots of the character are great.

Headless
12-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Agreed with everyone else, this is awesome stuff, particularly the character animation.

Just a quick question or two about the cloth simulation: I heard you'd used ClothFX for this, so i'm curious as to whether you used Garmentmaker and made the clothes from splines, or whether you created the clothes as geometry with a clothfx modifier applied to it? Also, are the clothes 100% simulated or do you have a blend between simulated sections and skinned sections?

ZouhairY
02-06-2005, 04:47 PM
cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
i downloaded the video its b e a utiful (as jim cary said)
my parents and relatives thought that was a real guy,i found the they werent excited,then when i told them that he is a 3d guy,they made me play it about 7 times and every time the laugh
(sorry 4 bad english)

armorfist
02-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Some of the funniest, best stuff i have ever seen with animation. Couldn't stop watching it and mailed your link to all my friends! You fellas rule!!

mauriciogolin
03-27-2005, 01:49 AM
my congratulations, I liked the character's style a lot with certainty that work will be a success

loganx002
06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
YOU KICK ASS!!! Was that hand keyframed or motion capture? Cause the movements looked super realistic. Awsome job!!! You should really put up some tutorials. I am your clay, mold me.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.