PDA

View Full Version : What causes this error?

johnnynightlife
08-31-2004, 11:57 PM
i am working on an interior scene, and some of my Jpeg, or Tiff files render fine, but some do not, What causes this? I have an extensive library of quality, professionally made textures, ( Total Textures)
What I do, is take the chosen texture into photoshop, make sure the image size is divisable by 32 ( I learned this somewhere in Cg Talk) and in some cases modify the look or texture somewhat to my needs. but when i go to render i sometimes get this error,
IMF did not recognise image file D:/Textures/TotalTextures/V-6 Clean Surfaces/maps_low/tiles_floor004x16.jpg.

Sometimes it is a jpeg that will fail, sometimes it is a Tif, and sometimes i get this error,
API 0.0 error 301105: undefined color texture "file26:tex"

It seems like its happenign a lot more now than before

slipknot66
09-01-2004, 12:00 AM
well, that happened to me, i had to convert the textures to TGA format:shrug:

gmask
09-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Are you rendering with Mentalray? If so it is pickier about file formats especially tif files.. TGA is the safest bet.

johnnynightlife
09-01-2004, 12:05 AM
thanx for the quick reply

i have photoshop, and i didnt see TGA as a save as option, what app did you use?

BillSpradlin
09-01-2004, 12:06 AM
I always go with the trusty .iff format for my textures, the Photoshop CD comes with an .iff plugin that you can install to load and save out .iff files from Photoshop. There is also one on Highend3D if I'm not mistaken. I am guess that it could be a combination of reasons, sometimes tiff's with LZW compression do not render, and if you are using a bump map file then make sure it's in RGB mode and not Greyscale.

johnnynightlife
09-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Are you rendering with Mentalray? If so it is pickier about file formats especially tif files.. TGA is the safest bet.

Yes i am using mental ray gmask, and thanks for all the info, i found the TGA option, guess im real tired, because ive used that before.

I always go with the trusty .iff format for my textures, the Photoshop CD comes with an .iff plugin that you can install to load and save out .iff files from Photoshop. There is also one on Highend3D if I'm not mistaken. I am guess that it could be a combination of reasons, sometimes tiff's with LZW compression do not render, and if you are using a bump map file then make sure it's in RGB mode and not Greyscale.

I tried the IFF, and i got an error with that also:shrug:

stallion151
09-01-2004, 12:24 AM
i get that with my JPEGs when i save them as Optimised or Progressive (in photoshop save) as standard it works. So i guess with Tiff if they are saved with JPEG compression it picks one of those.

BillSpradlin
09-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Odd, I've never gotten an error with .iff's.

gmask
09-01-2004, 01:11 AM
thanx for the quick reply

i have photoshop, and i didnt see TGA as a save as option, what app did you use?
Photoshop has TGA unless you are in CMYK mode or something..

stallion151
09-01-2004, 05:03 AM
almost, its the other way around. you have to be RGB. CMYK doesn't have it.

gmask
09-01-2004, 06:13 AM
almost, its the other way around. you have to be RGB. CMYK doesn't have it.
Yeah that's what I said.. If you are in CMYK mode TGA is not in the list of possible output formats

Jozvex
09-01-2004, 06:51 AM
The other day I was using Imf_copy to convert a whole bunch of textures into the .map format for the current project I'm on, but it doesn't wan't to convert GIF files over. Now, I can understand that because GIF's are mega-compressed 256 colour images, but even when I first saved the GIFs into a new format like RGB true colour BMP files....it then wouldn't convert those BMP files!

I don't get why....

And please, don't ask me why our texturers decided to use GIFs as high res textures.....*shudder*.

:argh:

stallion151
09-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah that's what I said.. If you are in CMYK mode TGA is not in the list of possible output formats
ahhh. checkmate.

maybe, jozvex, it still carries over certain data from the GIF into other formats. probably more so in BMP (just guessing) maybe try other format like uncompressed TIFF or something else.

TomD
09-02-2004, 08:32 AM
The other day I was using Imf_copy to convert a whole bunch of textures into the .map format...
Does Imf_copy convert the 8bit to a 24bit before saving to BMP ? Photoshop can't save 8bit data in a 24bit file but maybe Imf_copy does that.

alexx
09-02-2004, 09:17 AM
i know that maya itself has problems with some image formats which e.g are black and white jpg files (which are really 1 byte color information only).

have a try: take an image that maya does not like to photoshop and there check if it is grayscale or RGB.. if gray: convert to RGB, save and try to reopen.

cheers

alexx

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.