PDA

View Full Version : *very* simple modeling question. How to make a Sphere?

minus
08-07-2002, 01:25 AM
Alright alright... I know it's silly but... what method do you use to make a sphere out of all Quads? -- I don't like the ball command as it gives triangles at the ends that do not deform right durring bump displacement or even subdivision. I think there is an All Quad ball that I have on a CD somewhere... am I best off just importing that when that is what I need? -- There has to be a relatively easy way to make it yourself. :)

Fuzer
08-07-2002, 01:34 AM
One way is to make a cube then Metaform (shift-d) to taste :)

minus
08-07-2002, 01:43 AM
Yea I thought of that.... but would I be assured that the sphere is perfectly round? --- I may just find that sphere on the CD... to be perfectly honest... I think it's on Spline God's World Wide Tour CD. -- So I don't think I could post it here because of copy issues.

terryford
08-07-2002, 02:48 AM
A box and Metaform + Spherize two or three times in succession?

minus
08-07-2002, 06:15 AM
Hmm I'll try that tonight when I get home.... might work. :)

Steve Warner
08-07-2002, 08:49 PM
Hey Minus,

This may work for you. Towards the end you'll want to use a reference sphere to shape this out, but it will give you a sphere made entirely of quads.

Steve

http://www.trinitymediainc.com/Tutorials/Plane2Sphere.jpg

evenflcw
08-07-2002, 10:14 PM
I'm impressed by your clever use of simple deformers, Steve! I took a minute to try and solve this myself, but wasn't succesfull. Really neat solution.

minus
08-07-2002, 10:15 PM
Ahh ... interesting. With that method I'm sure I could get it round enough for any of my purposes. -- Thanks!

Steve Warner
08-07-2002, 10:36 PM
@ minus: Happy to help! I hope it works out for you. :)

@ evenflcw: Thanks! :) I read in a book recently that 3-sided patches are really just 4-sided patches with two points occupying the same space. That sparked the idea that a quad could look like a triangle and still be a quad, which is sort of what minus was looking for. It might not be the most elegant solution, but it's worth a try. :)

Cheers!

Steve

proton
08-07-2002, 11:34 PM
http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/4pointtriangles/index.html

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.