PDA

View Full Version : How do I texture a hand an fingernails?

skurge13
08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Ok, I suck, I know. I hope someone can just point me in the right direction here.

The story is I'm working on some hands in subd. I mapped som UV's for them and tried painting a texture in Photoshop, but it was awful, I can't seem to make textures (maybe I should have asked someone here if they would volunteer to do it for me). Anyway, I figured ok, I'll just use a cartoon shader for it. So I spent too much time modelling the things so I could get in details that I couldn't bump map in. The problem is, the fingernails are the same color as the rest of the hand and it looks weird. How can I make the nails transparent/whitish?

BillSpradlin
08-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Apply a different shader to the finger nail faces. You can still use the same texture map, just keep the UV's in the same place if you have your fingernail color map painted on the same map as the finger color map. Just use a different shader for it so you can adjust the transparency and anything else you need.

skurge13
08-31-2004, 03:44 AM
Thanks, Bill, I knew it was something easy.

ant-
08-31-2004, 11:30 AM
go grab a member of the public and stick there hand in a scanner (flatbed not drum!) or take a digital photo, its a much easyer way to get this effect.

hmmm shameles plug, i might be able to provide a small sample of my uv texture if you want to have a look

http://www.platformzero.com/otherwork/images/hand.jpg

If you want a cartoon look, you could just choose the faces and apply a different shader, but the finger nails may look a little odd, unless they are moddeled perfectly, it all depends on the style you want

skurge13
09-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi, Ant, your hand looks spectacular (although a bit creepy with the whole cut off wrist thing). It's more realistic than what I'm looking for, but for my own edumication I would love to see how you did your uv's. Is the hand done in polys?

I did scan my own hand in a flatbed, but it looked weird because all the flesh was flattened...any advice on how to avoid that? Do you hold your hand above the scanner without touching the glass? Have to see if that will work...

Oh, yeah, VERY perceptive about the nail looking strange (your insight serves you well, young jedi). I used a blinn shader and I wasn't quite sure if it fit with the cartoon shader look....not sure yet, will have to animate it and render to see. But I can always dump a lighter color cartoon shader on there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.