PDA

View Full Version : modeling reel

manton
08-30-2004, 09:09 PM
In my quest for a 3d job, I wanted to post my modeling reel for critique. These models are not textured. I've heard both that companies want to see your models textured if your a modeller and also heard that they don't. For now, this reel is done, I don't have them textured but am working on a new reel to include textured models.

Demo Reel (http://www.mantongibbs.com/3d/Gibbs_demo.avi) 29mb.

Portfolio Site (http://www.mantongibbs.com/)

Also, I had trouble getting the wireframes to not be so fuzzy. Maya doesn't have the best mechanisms for rendering wireframes it seems.

Hot Souse
08-30-2004, 11:22 PM
I 'm no profesional but I am making a demo reel my self and I'm not sure about the texturing VS not texturing Question.

As far as your demo reel is concerned I like your models... there really nice, but your presentation needs work. The rotating camera is a boring shot and you want to attract the viewers attention by using interesting camera angles, pans and zooms, like your making a film.
You should check outs some books on cinematography and wacth some movies to see how a camera shot can build exitement and anticipation as well as other emotions.

I didn't hear any sound so I'm not sure if your planning on doing any but you should. Give a good sound track something that fits the style of the models but nothing too offensive.

You have good models present them nicely and I'm sure you get hired.
These are just some things I noticed like I said I'm no profesioanl.

Good luck on your demo reel and the job search.

manton
08-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Hey, thanks for your crits! I agree the presentation is a rather dull, and that's what I hope to improve this second time around. I was kinda indecisive about sound because I've also heard that most professionals that view your reel don't even bother turning the sound on, but who knows. Probably better to have a sound track than none at all.

thanks again.

cache
08-31-2004, 07:01 AM
yeah, i agree.. the repetative turnarounds makes it booring:wise:
And at some point during them there are nothing exciting to see (ie: the back of the girls's head is not so interesting from any point of view i may risk, although i was 'forced' to watch it 2 or 3 times :)

your modeling work is very good, keep that up,
but i think you should read a bit on how to create exciting modeling reels...
for ex.: vary the theme, zoom here and there, do some simple but powerful poses for the characters (showing the viewer what they can/could do if they were animated is the best way to sell your models; aand fun to watch!! which is also good:) )...etc)
and if you did that, do some more :), and show the models from different angles
it will be everything but boring...

(although i have made no reel yet, i got to know some tips reading 'bout it and watching other's reels...)

cheers!
bye

digones
09-01-2004, 01:16 AM
hi Manton! How you are doin?

Well, your models are really impressive, the only thing wrong is the way you a presenting them.

Just like hot souse said, choose a nice sound track and add some value to your models :)

Cheers and keep up the good work!

manton
09-01-2004, 05:42 PM
I appreciate your comments guys, thanks! I agree with what you've said, a good start for my first reel. I'll see what I can do to put some more zing in it.

polywrangler
09-11-2004, 12:26 AM
I wasn't about to download a 29MB file, you should look into using divx or something to shrink the filesize on it. I did look at the website tho, and you certainly have some modeling skillz! Unfortunately I think untextured models look slighlty unprofessional and don't make any employer confident that your models could fit within their production line. On the other hand I have seen some impressive demo reels that were untextured, but animated. So I think you at least have to show 2 of the 3 to make an impression, whereas all three makes for a real attention getter (but only if all 3 aspects are good, a bad texture or stupid animation can ruin presenting the best model) .

abonora
09-11-2004, 01:01 AM
Heya There!

Nice models...

The only thing that should be changed is the time to show each model, I think the reel is definitely too long, make each model go by at 180 frames or so (that should do it)

Then maybe choose another kind of lighting, use a lighting that shows better the definition of the models, with very high contrast shadows, also you could put some color on the lighting so it sticks out from the others modeling demo reels.

Good job on the models though, just needs some polishing thatís all; also it would be good to add some traditional work as well (sculpting or anatomy studies preferred), some studios like that.

Keep it up and good luck

manton
09-15-2004, 03:49 AM
Will do, thanks for the great input guys!

Galo
09-15-2004, 06:34 AM
In my quest for a 3d job, I wanted to post my modeling reel for critique. These models are not textured. I've heard both that companies want to see your models textured if your a modeller and also heard that they don't. For now, this reel is done, I don't have them textured but am working on a new reel to include textured models.

Demo Reel (http://www.mantongibbs.com/3d/Gibbs_demo.avi) 29mb.

Portfolio Site (http://www.mantongibbs.com/)

Also, I had trouble getting the wireframes to not be so fuzzy. Maya doesn't have the best mechanisms for rendering wireframes it seems.
Hey, i wanna share something, this is a demoreel which meens this is the film piece you are selling yourself with, the artistic skillz that you have, if you send this to me and i see it i would laugh, not cause the animation is not good or the models make me laugh not at all but naming models "danger girl" and "war horse" is not gonna do you any good.
When a studio looks at this reel they probably look at 100 other demoreels.

this is just my 2 cents, like the models though, youre skilled.

-Galo

manton
09-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Hehe, I'm guessing you haven't heard of the comic book, "Danger Girl", that's what I based the model on, I agree it isn't the most creative title, but that's what the comic book is called. Sorry, I didn't provide that explanation in my reel, but I include it with my shot sheet. As for the "war horse", perhaps it would be more evident if it had medieval armor on it, but I was basing my model off of horses in wars like the civil war, etc. And they were called war horses, so I'm not sure what to do about the name dept., except maybe just take the labels out all together. :)

markw7
09-16-2004, 03:40 AM
This just might be me but I'm on a mac and the reel was too compressed/jaggy/blurry to watch. Also when I clicked on the thumbnails on your website none of the jpegs appeared in the popup windows. Some of the windows centered in the screen, some didn't. Hope this helps. I assume some studios would be looking at the stuff from a mac station. Anyway, get a second opinion from someone else with a mac.

manton
09-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Yeah, that's something I'll have to fix. My javascripts on my web page only work with Internet Explorer, and I guess that means only on pc, too. Sorry.

Game-boi
09-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Hmm... your models are good, but this reel is boring! rotate model 1, rotate model 2, rotate model 3, rotate model 4... not very exciting is it? Try some more creative editing.

The boarders are a little cheesy and take up too much valuable real estate on the screen. Get rid of them. Simple text is would work just fine. From the neck up, Danger Girl gives me the creeps. Something very odd is going on in the face. This should not be your first piece!

Also, your reel is over two minutes and I've only looked at FOUR models? This is silly. If you were to re-edit this reel, it should be no longer than 80 seconds. That's 20 seconds a model, and that's still generous.

If your models are untextured, why not at least play with your lights? Create a mood, environment or sense of depth.

I'm going to echo what Galo said, but a little differently. A good demo reel should brand you and your work. Think of it as a commercial for you, but also think of studios looking at this and thinking "I could see this person fitting in here". The non-model graphic elements look more like a early 90's game rather than impressive titles. This is not something that a studio wants to bring in, even if you're just a modeler.

As far as Markw7's difficulties with your site, you NEED to address this. Not everyone is on a PC and using IE. With as little as one or two incidents of "Sorry, my javascripts on my web page only work with Internet Explorer", a potential employer will stop looking at your stuff and move on. They don't have time to mess around, especially when they have an ungodly amount of other artists to look at. Remove the java crap. Your page doesn't require it. Keep it simple (visually and technically). That means it should require no plug-ins (java, flash, etc.). Also, no site should go live without being tested on as many different types of browsers and operating systems as possible.

On the subjects of format, the reel is 29 megs and it makes your work look like THAT?!?!Spend $30 and buy Divx Dr. then reencode. It'll give you much better file sizes and quality results. You should also provide a quicktime version of your reel. Again, not everyone has installed [random odd video codec] on their machine at work. Quicktime seems be the most widely used internet video format.

Sorry if my comments are a little disconnected and random (I was typing as I saw things). Keep working on it. You're not there yet, but you're on the way.

-Chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.