PDA

View Full Version : Set Value

Stoehr
08-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Is there an equivalent or near equivalent to the set value tool in Lightwave? Basically, I want to select a bunch of points an set their value on a single axis. Thanks!

DougNicola
08-30-2004, 08:51 PM
No set value like in LW, but if you want, for example, your selected points aligned with the Z axis and at X=3, then scale both X and Y to zero, then translate X = 3.

SevenString
08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
my guess is that Stoehr wants align the points in one dimension only, so my suggestion is to scale to zero along only one axis (the one that you DON'T want as the plane).

so, to get a flat shape in the x-y plane, scale your points to 0.0 along the z-axis, then translate the points in z to your desired location.

it's not as easy as a simple numeric entry, but it'll get the job done.

DougNicola
08-30-2004, 09:13 PM
yep that's probably what he meant.

Stoehr
08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
THanks, I appreciate the reply. It's not as beautiful as set value, but it does work.

Ablefish
08-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Under the Transform menu there is a toggle called Collapse Points for snapping/Absolute Translation. When it's on, you can tag points and set a value for them. If you leave it on, the center of that selection will move to the set value. Is that the same behaviour you're looking for?

DougNicola
08-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Collapse Points for snapping/Absolute Translation.This is such the better solution. Good one! Probably should go under the cool tips as something that's great and can be easily missed.

As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same as set value. Just turn it on and set whatever position you want in the Translation fields.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.