lildragon
08-06-2002, 11:49 PM
impressive, I really dig the lightracer on the soccer dude...:thumbsup:

ShwayMan
08-07-2002, 01:36 AM
That dinosaur is so freakin cool.

ambient-whisper
08-07-2002, 02:08 AM
there are some nice entries in there. but overall i thought the gallery was rather weak because they included so much unfinished work. why is it that most softwares galleries are getting weaker as time goes by. the old Softimage gallery IMO was better than the new one. same is happening here.
the Lightwave gallery always looked nice, except that nowadays the work that is displayed there tends to be going way too much for the "photorealistic" theme. id like to see more experimentations. what would be neat is to see some compositing with GI, and slight toonshading and maybe something else. :)

thinKer3D
08-07-2002, 02:24 AM
:: though I've seen it before, discreet seems to have strengthen the max rendering engine. So nice to see! Good job! ::

:thumbsup:

facial
08-07-2002, 03:58 AM
looks great:applause: :applause: :applause:

Toeng.com
08-07-2002, 05:42 AM
DISCREET ROCKS!!! :)

neilyb
08-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Hmmm, nice gallery. At least there are a mixture of styles here. I have to agree with Ambient though that people are too eagre to recreate everyday scenes, we have the tools to create whatever our imagination desires....if I want to see a photrealistic airplane then I will goto the airport! .......I realise that photorealism is inredibly difficult to recreate....but it is a bit boring.....roll on the aliens, the dragons and the spaceships.......

playmesumch00ns
08-07-2002, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know anything about NPR used to create the bedroom image, and how well it animates?

Leonard
08-07-2002, 08:33 AM
Yes the Ink & Paint shader is OK. It's not actually an NPR, but a toon shader so it is affected by rendering effects such as motion blur and DOF. It is rather slow to render though and I found that the lines weren't that crisp as you could clearly see jaggies in cases.

L.

akewt
08-07-2002, 08:53 AM
can anyone get there hands on the beta version, or is it too late.

Leonard
08-07-2002, 08:56 AM
Beta is over. 3ds max 5 has begun shipping :p

Best

Leo

Raul-Reznek
08-07-2002, 11:54 AM
It is THE best, and the price is "The BEST" as well!!!:hmm: :annoyed:

cgSquad
08-07-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
but overall i thought the gallery was rather weak because they included so much unfinished work.

Yes, becasue all of them created my artists who were testing max5 and its fetures(beta stuff) Not for making an artwork. And discreet asked users to post what they did. Most of the work is from proffesional people who are always busy in thire job. I hope after a time discreet will post more artwork and proffesional stuff.

allenlikewo
08-07-2002, 02:20 PM
I really liked the picture of the 2 screws....very PR, I thought it was impressive for a scanline render.

playmesumch00ns
08-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by allenlikewo
I really liked the picture of the 2 screws....very PR, I thought it was impressive for a scanline render.

That's because MAX 5 now includes radiosity

ambient-whisper
08-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by cgSquad

Yes, becasue all of them created my artists who were testing max5 and its fetures(beta stuff) Not for making an artwork. And discreet asked users to post what they did. Most of the work is from proffesional people who are always busy in thire job. I hope after a time discreet will post more artwork and proffesional stuff.

im not sure that should be relevant. even if you are just testing features.

for example. this image must have took a few minutes to make. it screams WIP. you get a head...that is extremely low on detail. no textures...etc. http://www.discreet.com/images/products/3dsmax/3dsmax5_beta/hi-res/3dsmax5beta_image7.jpg

then beside that image you get this very simple but beautifully executed image.
http://www.discreet.com/images/products/3dsmax/3dsmax5_beta/hi-res/3dsmax5beta_image8.jpg

and on that same page..

you get this

http://www.discreet.com/images/products/3dsmax/3dsmax5_beta/hi-res/3dsmax5beta_image1.jpg

which means the beta was out for a while. which means the users that made unfinished poor work should have their stuff nowhere near the gallery.

http://www.discreet.com/images/products/3dsmax/3dsmax5_beta/hi-res/3dsmax5beta_image22.jpg

testing a feature...sure why not. but why not put some more effort into it...? and make it interesting. show us what you can do. and not what the software can do on its own.

akewt
08-07-2002, 02:37 PM
i cant wait to have a go with it. work probably wont upgrade till 2008 tho, so no chance there.

does it support image based lighting and area/object lights?

and also the gallery doesent show any game art which most people will be using it for!!

show
08-07-2002, 02:54 PM
I have to agree with the complaints about the gallery.
I hate renders like this
http://www.discreet.com/images/products/3dsmax/3dsmax5_beta/hi-res/3dsmax5beta_image10.jpg

The 'artist' is obviously very skilled. Makes you wonder what kind of vetting process they use for their beta testers.

gundog
08-07-2002, 03:06 PM
i think the problem is with image placement. some of these images might have been more appropriately placed on a page highlighting features than a gallery. people tend to expect a finished composition in an area you call a gallery. nevertheless, lot's of nice picts there.

cgSquad
08-07-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by akewt
does it support image based lighting and area/object lights?

Area lights yes. i think imagebased too.

I agree too about some bad things in main 5 page. As i said. good pics will come after time. Last final Max 4 gallery was a complete higquality stuff.

d_hansbury
08-07-2002, 05:01 PM
And all the new features are unbelievable. Some are so much easier to use like the Skin modifier's ability to accept Wacom tablet pressure, and being able to copy envelope info from one arm to another.

The only problem is that it was a burned copy off someone's Harddrive so it's a wee buggy.

I heard rumor that version 6 will be rewritten entirely. Hopefully it will go cross platform and I can use it on my Mac at home...either that or I really have to start learning lightwave 7!

Dominique
08-07-2002, 08:13 PM
Wish they Got it on Linux,

no Win anymore,

Still waiting for My Box5 without the manual,
and Reactor is standard; Dynamics as 'easy' as Mayas particles

cgSquad
08-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by d_hansbury
I heard rumor that version 6 will be rewritten entirely. Hopefully it will go cross platform

Yes. The main reason for this i think

*They are rewriting it to make it easly portable to other platforms.
*starting from scratch will help them a lot to remove bugs and for a stable max.

I dont know which will be thire target maket. Max4 main target was gaming market.

catbells007
08-08-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by ambient-whisper
there are some nice entries in there. but overall i thought the gallery was rather weak because they included so much unfinished work. why is it that most softwares galleries are getting weaker as time goes by. the old Softimage gallery IMO was better than the new one. same is happening here.
the Lightwave gallery always looked nice, except that nowadays the work that is displayed there tends to be going way too much for the "photorealistic" theme. id like to see more experimentations. what would be neat is to see some compositing with GI, and slight toonshading and maybe something else. :)

Id have to agree with a-w that there really isnt enough experimentation around in general regardless of which piece of software is being used.

Photorealism certainly has its place but why the majority of people seem to want to go down that road is beyond me. Are we not at a point now where we've proved that we can do it and should now open up our imaginations, much in the way that impressionists and surrealists followed the renaissance.

PS: Does anyone like me feel a bit miffed that Discreet have failed to include Non Linear Animation in 3DSMax 5 :sad:

PhilOsirus
08-08-2002, 01:07 AM
Don't jump on the artists please. Those guys are great and most of those renders were made specificly to test certain features, not to be presented in a gallery of artworks. The gallery will come as more and more users have fun with their newly shipped MAX:)

Cheer! :beer:

Treb
08-08-2002, 01:24 AM
gi, hdri and a toonshader standered? if so i cant wait :thumbsup:

thinKer3D
08-08-2002, 01:57 AM
:: catbells007, I don't think discreet failed. I think it was a decision to include NLA in Character Studio 4 (which they did). It's only strategy. ::

:: Once again, good job! ::

:applause:

catbells007
08-08-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by thinKer3D
:: catbells007, I don't think discreet failed. I think it was a decision to include NLA in Character Studio 4 (which they did). It's only strategy. ::

:: Once again, good job! ::

:applause:

Do you mean CS4 has proper NLA then (with a timeline) or are you referring to Motion Flow? Must admit that im not a big fan of CS anyway.

Black&White
08-08-2002, 04:23 AM
About how goof cs4 is. I can only tell you after i use it by my hands. May be it will better than LW MorionMixer. The only thing im afraid of is Will it alows us to use standard bones and NLA. It will be very dispointing if it only use bips.

AnimBot
08-08-2002, 04:30 AM
catbells007 I'm not a big fan of CS either and if you catch me on a bad day at work , I would say I hate it. However it seems like version 4 is adressing all my major gripes with CS. A full new nonlinear animation system (not motion flow). A greater ability to customize the Biped, but the number one fix that's been long overdue, FUNCTION CURVES!!! It finally has function curves. So If all those things are stable I will have no more gripes with Character Studio and I will stop cursing it's name.

Mahlon
08-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by AnimBot
catbells007 I'm not a big fan of CS either and if you catch me on a bad day at work , I would say I hate it. However it seems like version 4 is adressing all my major gripes with CS. A full new nonlinear animation system (not motion flow). A greater ability to customize the Biped, but the number one fix that's been long overdue, FUNCTION CURVES!!! It finally has function curves. So If all those things are stable I will have no more gripes with Character Studio and I will stop cursing it's name.

I feel the same. All I've seen about CS4 is what was shown at SIGGRAPH and what's in the flier. The last little bit that I would like to see in CS is being able to use regular bones, IK, and custom attributes with CS. I know that you are supposed to be able to save custom IK rigs (arms, etc.) with the Biped file in CS4, but that still doesn't let you use them in the NLA mixer. At least that's what I assume based on what's been shown. I wish they'd just go ahead and make CS comprehensively useful in Max, not just with a biped. Arrrgh.

But wait....I've gotten off topic....

Mahlon

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.