PDA

View Full Version : PRman : Reyes and Raytrace together?

sepehr
08-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Reading Advanced RenderMan - Creating CGI for Motion Pictures I almost figured out Reyes pipeline.
It's written before PRman includes Ray trace too.
My question is does PRman use a completely different pipeline than Reyes when Ray trace is enabled?
Or raytrace pipeline is only applied to those shaders which use raytraced material?
Should we forget about raytracing whenever possible and stick to Reyes?

Thank you in advance.
Sepehr

francescaluce
09-01-2004, 01:59 AM
Should we forget about raytracing whenever possible and stick to Reyes?probably.. but there're things you can't do only with REYES.. and that's why we got also raytracing. raytracing in renderman is completely selective and generally on per-objects basis.. only objs flagged or if you want only obj with a raytrace property attached can cast rays on the scene.. the scanline core stil remains the base over prman works and gets the scene db.. nothing will be considered for raytracing by default, and no additional processing will be charged on... not only prman is became a truly hybrid renderer.. not merely a scanliner + raytracer.. it has some features like hybrid shadows that take all the power of reyes alghoritms and perform raytraced shadows only where they need to be.. and again... the reyes paradigm is still developed over and over.. an example is the marvellous deepshadow technology... not only with the 12 release we will see a true 3Dbaking cache for any kind of data to be saved and then reused... "Ri" Filters and more.

ciao
francesca

BillSpradlin
09-01-2004, 02:18 AM
Hopefully all of the great features we are used to in PRman will be carried over to the Renderman for Maya port when that is released.

francescaluce
09-01-2004, 02:33 AM
all of the features in prman.. that are not also in maya.. will be merely attributes attached to the standard maya nodes.
in particular.. procedural primatives and delayed read archives won't be supported.. no shaders compiling.. great memory limitations.. 'coz is in the same maya 'space'.. no multi processor and no server dispatching... yes it is a $995 bucks.. 'the right-sized tool for the job'.

here some screeshots fresh fresh..if you're curious..

https://renderman.pixar.com/products/tools/rfm_webinfopage.html

ciao
francesca

BillSpradlin
09-01-2004, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard much else on it since SIGGRAPH.

sepehr
09-02-2004, 02:00 PM
thanks all for the usefull info.
:thumbsup:

lazzhar
09-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Am I blind ? I didnt find that the new RFM could use compiled custom shaders !!

beaker
09-02-2004, 11:29 PM
I asked them at siggraph. It does support already compiled prman shaders but it does not include the shader compiler. You have to purchase pro server to get that. I'm not sure about how adjustable the shader is inside maya because that feature was broken in the build they had on the show room floor.

beaker
09-02-2004, 11:34 PM
great memory limitations.. 'coz is in the same maya 'space'....no multi processor and no server dispatching... francesca: Like Mental ray, Maya software, Vector and Hardware Renderer when you launch a batch render it launches in a separate process. So you are not using the same maya space. Also they said they are going to add it to the new Render executable from alias that lets you specify a specific renderer from the commandline. So "Render -r rm" (or something to that effect) will launch the prman renderer from the commandline. So you will be able to use render management software to control it.

francescaluce
09-03-2004, 01:28 AM
I think some limitations will occur.. I mean on this way we will get exactly a powered rat and proserver version.. and I don't think this is possibile also don't make to me any sense... finally to be true I feel myself at home with rat.. so no problem for me... we will see... looking at pixar we'll get sure something good.. not clear for what actually. :)

ciao
francesca

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.