PDA

View Full Version : The Hive, Philip Straub (2D)

Philipstraub
08-29-2004, 08:20 PM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/35313/35313_1142104697_medium.jpg

Title: The Hive
Name: Philip Straub
Software: Painter

Another concept painting for my little book project.
I think I've finally found the right equation in Painter to duplicate the feel of oils. Just some custom brushes combined with the Painter oils. The great thing is no mess and no clean-up:)
Crits and comments welcome
>> Hi resolution image << (http://www.philipstraub.com/assets/Concepts/the_hive.jpg)

Philipstraub
08-30-2004, 03:30 AM
come on now...don't be shy:)

Palombasso
08-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Front page and no comments? Weird...

I really like this style of painting...loose brushes but still very detailed...Reminds me a bit of Craig Mullins´work...

Really nice..What´s this book project about?

Ollarin
08-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Holy Muffins!! Awesome work man!

I really like the colours! And it looks like it's been done in watercolours!

Very nice work. No crits here!:thumbsup:

Hot Souse
08-30-2004, 04:50 AM
Looks great...do you have more posted some where?

What version of painter do you use?

phoenix
08-30-2004, 05:20 AM
simply lovely work ... amazing

jody
08-30-2004, 05:58 AM
very nice! i like the colours very much!
u did a good job!:thumbsup: :applause:
and... How long did you spent to draw this picture?

Kael
08-30-2004, 06:11 AM
ov3rall mood is exellent!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

natsirk
08-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Nice i like it , looking good

Invid
08-30-2004, 06:42 AM
Very nice I like the harmony in colors and personally I'm quite partial to super structures like this one :)

Mindblighter
08-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Fantastic style and mood! You should write a tutorial/documentary on how you made this :)
Something whispers Warhammer 40,000 in my ear, coincidence?

PeterSanitra
08-30-2004, 08:40 AM
nice image, very good job. time to complete?

mr.wheels
08-30-2004, 09:24 AM
This is really nice work It reminds me of Minus Tirith out of lord of the rings I love it

:D nice work no crits atall

Philipstraub
08-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey guys...thanks for all the comments:)

Darkone and Jody: This guy took me a little over an hour. Sometimes they come fast...sometimes not. When I have a pretty clear vision in my head I can usually bang them out fast.

Mindblighter: I'm not familiar with Warhammer 40,000, can you enlighten me?

Hot Souse: Have lots more work posted in other forums and on my website.:) I use a few different versions of Painter, depending on what I'm trying to do, I favor 6 and 8 though.

Palombasso: My book project...I don't want to give too much away here so....its an art book that deals with fantasy worlds, fantasy characters that are all interconnected through a common thread. Can't say more....it would give it away:)

Philipstraub
08-30-2004, 12:01 PM
here's a higher rez version if you don't feel like clicking:)http://www.philipstraub.com/assets/Concepts/the_hive.jpg

dgpilot
08-30-2004, 12:15 PM
I like it, however there are some soft, dark strokes in various locations that look out of place. Perhaps a brush with a harder edge like the other strokes.

:)

Philipstraub
08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
I like it, however there are some soft, dark strokes in various locations that look out of place. Perhaps a brush with a harder edge like the other strokes.

:)
yes yes...I see what you are talking about there...my only response is, the image was supposed to look loose and spontaneous. Some people might add its little things, like the ones you mentioned, that add to the spontaneous and organic look....others might see them as mistakes. I'm on the fence....still, I will admit then when and if I tranfer the image to print...I probably will clean them up.

Thanks for the comment..a good one:)

dgpilot
08-30-2004, 12:35 PM
It's not necessarily bad, it just sticks out to painters who are familiar with brushes.
It's a nice style that most people have a difficult time achieving. Perhaps a super detailed version in the near future?

olijosman
08-30-2004, 02:09 PM
"simply" impressive .Brilliant painting very well solved :thumbsup:

jasonkey
08-30-2004, 02:34 PM
can you share the Painter settings you used? Or maybe just post some general tips on simulating oils in Painter?

Philipstraub
08-30-2004, 03:32 PM
"simply" impressive .Brilliant painting very well solved :thumbsup:

Thanks Oli!

WhiteBlaizer
08-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Very nice work :D

oxyg3n
08-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Nice painting. I like the atmosphere.

noelt
08-30-2004, 09:33 PM
hi phil i met you at the corel seminar (los angeles) earlier this month, i really like your color use and the smoothness of your surfaces, just yesterday i was on your web page for quite a while and i'm even more impressed. i wanted to find out if your book give a good breakdown of your approach to color. there is a black and white piece (on web site) where there is a city in clouds with some birdlike spaceships flying in from the clouds which i thought was very strong. evidentually you have been working on and off on this piece there are a lot of really good stuff on your site, all with really nice surfaces, nice clouds too. oh well i can go on and on good work.

Philipstraub
08-30-2004, 11:43 PM
hi phil i met you at the corel seminar (los angeles) earlier this month, i really like your color use and the smoothness of your surfaces, just yesterday i was on your web page for quite a while and i'm even more impressed. i wanted to find out if your book give a good breakdown of your approach to color. there is a black and white piece (on web site) where there is a city in clouds with some birdlike spaceships flying in from the clouds which i thought was very strong. evidentually you have been working on and off on this piece there are a lot of really good stuff on your site, all with really nice surfaces, nice clouds too. oh well i can go on and on good work.
noelt: Thank you for the fine compliments....I really appreciate it.
Both of my tutorials in the d'artiste book touch on color theory. One of the tutorials shows a detailed description of how I commonly approach color. The other artist's discuss thier approach to defining the color of a piece to describe mood and character. If you can spare the extra cash, I think it is a worthwhile investment...and I'm not just saying that because I was involved with it.

S-m-i-l-e
08-31-2004, 12:17 AM
Great fantasy painting... Nice style... Excellent :thumbsup:

Philipstraub
08-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks S-m-i-l-e, oxyg3n, and WhiteBlaizer

jasonkey: I'll post some technique type stuff on how I work in Painter in a bit, I haven't forgotten you:)

Philipstraub
08-31-2004, 12:34 AM
can you share the Painter settings you used? Or maybe just post some general tips on simulating oils in Painter?
Jasonkey: Actually I can't share to much about what brushes I use...at least not yet. I am currently a BETA Tester for Painter 9 and this painting was made using a brand new brush that is going to be offered with the new version. It's pretty darn awesome!! Thats all I can say for now though.

There are some good oil brushes in Painter 8 that I can talk about though. I use a few customized oil brushes from the older versions of Painter. I am very fond of some of the camel hairs that are offered from the oil brushes selections. I like to use the cover pencil from the pencil options to start my drawings, although they can be used in a couple different ways..d.epending on how large a brush you create.

sketchfiend
08-31-2004, 01:07 AM
Phil great work mate, once again heres a perfect example of the great stuff that can be achieved by applying a great knowlege of your tools and a great mind.

I look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future, i cant wait to get an insight into your workflow once i get my copy of D'artiste. Inspirational stuff, and just the way i like it, quick and dirty. Have a good one buddy, :thumbsup: from the land downunder.

keight
08-31-2004, 02:14 AM
Yeesh, Phil. Computer was down over the weekend, everything is working again, especially, and finally, Painter, and by the time I can get here you've got 2+ pages of comments. This is a terrific study sketch. You've got so many "I've gotta try that!" things going on here, I could stare at it for quite a while. If you get around to working it up, it's really going to be special.

wurp
08-31-2004, 09:27 AM
Looks great, beautiful colors and great composition, well done!

dgpilot
08-31-2004, 12:55 PM
Aye, congrats on the article as well, nice read :thumbsup:

Philipstraub
08-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Phil great work mate, once again heres a perfect example of the great stuff that can be achieved by applying a great knowlege of your tools and a great mind.

I look forward to seeing more of your stuff in the future, i cant wait to get an insight into your workflow once i get my copy of D'artiste. Inspirational stuff, and just the way i like it, quick and dirty. Have a good one buddy, :thumbsup: from the land downunder.
Sketchfiend: Thanks man. Lemme know what you think of d'artiste once you get it...I'd be interested to hear how you like the tutorials. The quality of the art is a given....the chosen galleries (the work I picked from the competition) has some amazing people...Dusso, Vacher, Seung Ho, Brian Despain, Anry....I could go on

Hey...you have a good one too man...I really need to make it out to Australia...someday..I hear its beautiful!

Phil

sketchfiend
09-02-2004, 12:23 AM
Sketchfiend: Thanks man. Lemme know what you think of d'artiste once you get it...I'd be interested to hear how you like the tutorials. The quality of the art is a given....the chosen galleries (the work I picked from the competition) has some amazing people...Dusso, Vacher, Seung Ho, Brian Despain, Anry....I could go on

Hey...you have a good one too man...I really need to make it out to Australia...someday..I hear its beautiful!

Phil
Youd be welcome to stay at my joint anytime, :D Its actually just heading into spring over here. I recommend that if you decide to go down under that you go during the christmas holidays as the aussie summers are excellent.

Once again, i love your work bro, keep it up.:thumbsup:

loverman
09-05-2004, 02:50 PM
great job...perect painting and overall feels beautiful,misterical...yet serene..
i like it keep it up :applause:

shawnalanpeters
09-06-2004, 03:02 PM
what's up ...Straub? I was just notified that my last piece was submitted to this gallery..so I came to check out the line up..and here you are... It's good to be in the same room again. Even though it is over the internet.

Hey, I am looking into moving back FLA. I am building a portfolio and planning on submitting my stuff to EA. Do you know if they are still looking for an Art Director? The position has been posted online for a couple months.

On top of that, do you have a recomendation on who would be the most helpful person to contact?

ps. hook a hook a brother up with a vote!

lattaz

artmonkyd
09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Have you every placed your work in a gallery auction? If so how do people respond to your work being CG and not traditional mediums? Excellent piece as well !

Philipstraub
09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
what's up ...Straub? I was just notified that my last piece was submitted to this gallery..so I came to check out the line up..and here you are... It's good to be in the same room again. Even though it is over the internet.

Hey, I am looking into moving back FLA. I am building a portfolio and planning on submitting my stuff to EA. Do you know if they are still looking for an Art Director? The position has been posted online for a couple months.

On top of that, do you have a recomendation on who would be the most helpful person to contact?

ps. hook a hook a brother up with a vote!

lattaz
Hey Shawn,

Congratulations on getting the piece into the CG Talk gallery. It is a great painting for sure.

As far as EA...why don'y frop me an e-mail at home and we can talk more.

On my way to vote yo....

Best,

Phil

Philipstraub
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Have you every placed your work in a gallery auction? If so how do people respond to your work being CG and not traditional mediums? Excellent piece as well !
artmonkyd: No I haven't put my work in a "gallery auction" before. I do have my work in a couple of galleries across the east coast as part of thier "collection". There has been some resistance when I've tried to get my "giclee's in additional galleries, some respond to the work...others don't. I think we still have a little bit of work to get the whole fine art community to accept digital work.

I couldn't make a living just selling my work paintings, I do see a descent return from the work annually. Even if I were to only sell a couple of prints a year its worth it to me to have my work hanging in someone elses home.

Thanks for the compliment on the piece.

Best,

Phil

shawnalanpeters
09-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Will do.. I get back to Dallas tomorrow.. I will be in touch

Hey Shawn,

Congratulations on getting the piece into the CG Talk gallery. It is a great painting for sure.

As far as EA...why don'y frop me an e-mail at home and we can talk more.

On my way to vote yo....

Best,

Phil

Tilstrom
09-08-2004, 02:58 AM
the amount of detail here is insane, fantastic job. :D

noelt
09-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi Noelt here i posted a response to your other post the straight lines space painting post , and i said i would post some of my work and you said to let you know when i did, i've posted two: sept 19 and 12th (cg talk). i would love your comments i really like your surfaces and imagination so any comment is welcome. The hive looks good i like how you can get so much done so quickly.

shawnalanpeters
09-20-2004, 02:44 PM
could you post links to where the iamges are? I don't know where to look.

Hi Noelt here i posted a response to your other post the straight lines space painting post , and i said i would post some of my work and you said to let you know when i did, i've posted two: sept 19 and 12th (cg talk). i would love your comments i really like your surfaces and imagination so any comment is welcome. The hive looks good i like how you can get so much done so quickly.

DavCole
09-30-2004, 06:11 PM
The mood, color, and texture are great. I can't complain about this one.

Thanks,
David

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.