PDA

View Full Version : The Official New XSI Foundation Customer Counter

Signal2Noise
08-29-2004, 06:30 PM
As requested here is a poll to tabulate members decisions to have bought, thinking of buying, or don't plan to buy the fantastically priced XSI Foundation (or higher).

alexyork
08-29-2004, 09:40 PM
so who'se the rich b*stard that bought Advanced then :) j/k hehe.

i'm buying in 2 days, after Bank Holiday is over. :)

Qexit
08-29-2004, 10:25 PM
so who'se the rich b*stard that bought Advanced then :) j/k hehe.
Not me, but I did buy XSi 4.0 Advanced.....Permanent Educational License. There isn't an option for that one on the Poll.

Signal2Noise
08-30-2004, 03:45 AM
I didn't include any Educational version options because, as any CG'er will know, these versions are already available at wickedly good deals. The commercial versions being dropped in price is, however, a dream come true.

Spacelord
08-30-2004, 03:52 AM
I brought foundation and Essentials, then got upgraded to Essentials and Advanced !!!
Now that ROCKS !!!

JDex
08-30-2004, 04:12 AM
I brought foundation and Essentials, then got upgraded to Essentials and Advanced !!!
Now that ROCKS !!!
Yes... yes it does. I can't wait to buy my seat(s?).

Ollarin
08-30-2004, 04:31 AM
Wow! Alot of people have bought Foundation!

If i had the cash, i'd probably buy it...So, metaphoricaly, in my mind. I've bought it. :p

asylum24
08-30-2004, 04:44 AM
i put down advanced but I personnaly didnt buy it. I told my boss we needed it and since we are the only people in our dept. (i do graphics and 3d visualizations for an architecture firm, so its kind of a new dept.) he let take the cd home and install it and I just connect to the server at work for the dongle :)

Spacelord
08-30-2004, 05:10 AM
i put down advanced but I personnaly didnt buy it. I told my boss we needed it and since we are the only people in our dept. (i do graphics and 3d visualizations for an architecture firm, so its kind of a new dept.) he let take the cd home and install it and I just connect to the server at work for the dongle :)
If you have XSI installed on two machines can u load the license's on both machines and move the dongle between the two ? I heard you could but I haven't tried it.

JDex
08-30-2004, 05:31 AM
If you have XSI installed on two machines can u load the license's on both machines and move the dongle between the two ? I heard you could but I haven't tried it.
Yep... node locked rules!

SevenString
08-30-2004, 08:14 PM
happy happy, joy joy!

The boxed version of Foundation arrived at my door last Thursday, so on my long-weekend trip, I was able to take all of the training materials, along with my new 3Ghz laptop computer. :D

Of course, three days wasn't enough to really make a huge dent in the DVDs, so I focused on the character animation aspect of the training. However, I did make a pass at all of the DVDs from a high level, and I was astounded at all of the things that this great software is capable of, even in the Foundation version. The documentation that comes with the software is quite thorough, but it isn't until you actually see these features in action that you get a sense of the true depth of XSI. I had a lot of "That's cool!!!" moments over the weekend.

wow wow wow!

hobo
08-30-2004, 08:33 PM
My nice big Avid box arrived on Saturday. I bought Foundation just before the price drop, so I was a very happy bunny when my reseller said I'd get Essentials. The license hasn't been sent yet, but dem dvd's 'll take awhile to get through. I too have had quite a lot of "That's cool" moments.

cresshead
08-30-2004, 09:12 PM
yup, bought xsi foundation on friday..just waiting for the box n dvd's!

still looking into messiah as well...i'll see after i try out xsi and find that i'm in need of messiah or not...depends on how i can move stuff from lightwave to xsi and back.

xsi looks to be the deal of the year so far!

steve g

TonyEdwards
08-30-2004, 11:54 PM
happy happy, joy joy!

The boxed version of Foundation arrived at my door last Thursday, so on my long-weekend trip, I was able to take all of the training materials, along with my new 3Ghz laptop computer. :D

Of course, three days wasn't enough to really make a huge dent in the DVDs, so I focused on the character animation aspect of the training. However, I did make a pass at all of the DVDs from a high level, and I was astounded at all of the things that this great software is capable of, even in the Foundation version. The documentation that comes with the software is quite thorough, but it isn't until you actually see these features in action that you get a sense of the true depth of XSI. I had a lot of "That's cool!!!" moments over the weekend.

wow wow wow!

I'm happy for you SevenString :applause:.

I did finally order my copy... now I'm playing the waiting game :banghead:.

I've been playing with the program and bought Experience XSI 4: The Official Softimage XSI 4 Guide to Character Creation (http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=51) over the weekend but I can't wait until I get the manual and DVDs... I'm a manual freak. I love documentation. Sucks cuz I can't download any of it from the site.

JDex
08-30-2004, 11:57 PM
Sucks cuz I can't download any of it from the site.
Why's that? Is it giving you a "don't have permission" page when you try? I had a similar problem and sent an email to webmaster@softimage.com and it was resolved within 24hrs.

RorrKonn
08-31-2004, 12:00 AM
Can you run XSI Screen Resolution at 1152 x 864 ?

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com (http://www.atomic-3d.com/)

JDex
08-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Can you run XSI Screen Resolution at 1152 x 864 ?

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com (http://www.atomic-3d.com/)
You can, but it won't be an optimal layout. I run on a 1440x900 on my laptop and it is possible, but you lose alot of the interface and starts to feel cluttered.

RorrKonn
08-31-2004, 12:20 AM
Monitor flickers past 1152 x 864,
Currently running a GeForce 2 MX 400, 64 RAM, a little out dated :D
Running a KDS 19" tubed monitor.about a year old.

Not sure if a bigger 3D Card would fix the flicker or if it's the monitor,or both ?

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com (http://www.Atomic-3D.com)

JDex
08-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Hmm... could be either. If it's a low grade monitor it will do that regardless of age... but the card is definitely behind the times. Time to upgrade.

TonyEdwards
08-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Why's that? Is it giving you a "don't have permission" page when you try? I had a similar problem and sent an email to webmaster@softimage.com and it was resolved within 24hrs.
That's exactly what's happening. I assumed it was b/c I didn't have a maintenance plan or something that I wasn't able to access the documentation via internet.

I'll send an email.

Thanks for the input.

SevenString
08-31-2004, 05:13 AM
yeah, my new laptop is one of those widescreen models, running at 1280x800.

I can get to everything (if you count using the top menus), but it's sort of a pain, especially having to right-click minimize the "transform" tools all the time. I can tell that in the long run, I'm going to be doing a LOT of interface customization for my laptop's resolution.

but at least Softimage has the versatility that I CAN customize it to such a great extent.

woo hoo!

as a side note, i'll be glad to share any laptop synoptics that i come up with... more to come

T4D
08-31-2004, 11:57 AM
happy to add XSI to my 3D tool kit :thumbsup:
look great so far :bounce:

StephanD
08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Haven't bought yet but I thought I'd put in my vote anyways since I'm buying this week.

To SI:Next time,try to have your deal coincide with income tax return periods ;)

Happy soon to be customer anyways :bounce:

ira42
08-31-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi all, for those who were having trouble accessing the documentation downloads, there was a bug on the download page. It's fixed, and should be working now. You can try accessing again at:

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v4/foundation/Documentation/

You should be able to access the following: XSI Documentation, Tutorial Guide, Media CD, Setup Guide, SDK Guide, and detailed features list.

Cheers,

Ira

Felipe
08-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Just waiting for the box and DVDs (foundation version) !!

I´m using the 30 day trial version right now and Im loving it !!! Softimage rulez :)

davemcd
09-01-2004, 08:09 AM
I bought foundations late last week and it roced up promptly on monday mornings... Some of my DVD's had come loose from their fixings in transit and got a bit scratched up inside the case. They seem to work from the small testing i did, but my supplier has promised to replace em if they're stuffed. I've installed the software but as yet havent had a chance to play with it as I've got a project on thats taking all my time.

Not sure how much commercial use I'll get out of XSI at this point as the whole mental ray cost thing kind of puts it out of range for using it on our renderfarm at this point, though i will try to use it for smaller jobs that dont have huge render times (or tight deadlines) and some of those 'personal projects'.

I am pretty excited though to learn XSI though, i've been a bit fed up with my current package of choice for a while now and have been salivating at XSI from afar.

Cheers

DaveMcD

Layer01
09-02-2004, 02:25 AM
"I say sir, might i trouble you for one of those nifty looking contraptions?"- is what i said to the sales dude yesterday (more or less)
and then BAM! boughted! should arrive tomorrow or on monday this is indeed worthy of another "woot" modification: WOOOZ!
:bounce:

FYI: i come form 3dsmax 3-4-5-6 >XSI (and soon to be maya at my UNI too)
next thing to buy on my list:
Zbrush 2
MAYYYYBE big maybe Motionbuilder 6, but it will really have to know some serious socks off to get to my already thin wallet :)

JDex
09-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Well I just took the inevitiable plunge... Just got a seat of Foundations for now, but will likely upgrade to Essentials or add an Essentials seat before the end of the year. Pretty excited. :D

Sil3
09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Mine is at the mail office waiting for me, tomorrow i´ll pick it up to play at home during the weekend :buttrock:

Layer01
09-03-2004, 01:13 AM
ho ho ho just got delivered to me about an hour ago....wait! what the hell am i doing here typing this *runs off back to XSI*

PS:
dont remember where i read this or who said it but someone was going on about the lack of a printed manuel...i got a manuel, oh well also i see lots of people asking for linux version's but my CD says "for linux and windows" so whats up with that? bah! either way i'm not complaining lol :thumbsup:

davemcd
09-03-2004, 02:09 AM
...also i see lots of people asking for linux version's but my CD says "for linux and windows" so whats up with that? bah! either way i'm not complaining lol :thumbsup:
I was a bit confused by that as well, especially considering the foundations box says only for windows but the disc sleeve says for linux and windows. If you explore the discs it seems to only have windows installers in there. There may be a hidden linux partition on the disc but i havent checked it on the linux box yet yet. My guess is that they only made windows installers for foundations but used the other versions sleeves rather than make a new one just foir foundations... they are trying to keep costs down I'd imagine ;)

DaveMcD

GatorNic
09-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Well mine is suppose to be arriving this upcoming Tuesday, so I am very excited. However I was kind of depressed when I got the following email in response to my linux-upgrade question:

Hello Nic,

I don't know if anyone has answered you on this yet?

Just in case...

There will unfortunately be no Upgrades/trade-ins available from the Windows version of Foundation to the Linux version. So you would have to keep the Windows version you purchased.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we are here to help!

Regards,

The Softimage Team
------------------------

Oh well, its hard to ask for much more considering the awesome price.

Signal2Noise
09-04-2004, 04:00 AM
Wow! 1400 views and only 140 votes??? Let's keep this poll going folks! I'm sure Softimage would like us to as well...;)

SheepFactory
09-04-2004, 04:04 AM
well whats the point ;) , softimage already has the most accurate numbers this one doesnt really reflect anything but the "Who bought XSI foundations at cgtalk and took the time to vote" :)

deanbutton
09-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Hi Guys. I'm new to the Forum. So a big hello..!

I ordered XSI (foundation) straight after i heard the news about the price drop.
The sad thing is, i'm still waiting for it to arrive. It's been sent, but it's stuck in
Dublin. Has been for nearly a week. Hope it arrives monday, fingers crossed, eh.

I'm a Maya user, so a chnge is as good as a rest.

JDex
09-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Mine just arrived today... :thumbsup:

Such pretty packaging. Off to watch some DVDs.

Cheers

TonyEdwards
09-10-2004, 09:16 PM
My package arrived Wednesday!! :bounce:

I think I'm going to use some vacation time to dedicate to learning the app! :buttrock:

GatorNic
09-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Mine arrived today as well!!! :applause:

So many hours of dvd tuts, so little time...better get down to buisness before classes start back up next Wednesday.

Meteornotes
09-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Mine arrived yesterday! Haven't really had a chance to do anything yet, but will probably watch some DVDs this weekend...

dt

deanbutton
09-11-2004, 12:03 AM
:) I received mine yesterday too ! At the moment it's sensory overload.....

pnoland
09-16-2004, 02:46 AM
Well, there's no option for "Damnit, I'm -this- close to having enough money!" but I'm planning on purchasing XSI foundation this coming friday (pay day!) and I can't wait. I've only used Cinema 4d CE for rendering so having a power house like this is going to rock hard! I'm a little scared of learning a whole new interface but if I can tackle zbrush and blender I can grasp this. :) And it's cool that you get to download it when you purchase so you're not just waiting for it before you get cracking! Argh! I'm all anxious to start learning! ...as you can tell I've never owned a program like this...well, zbrush but I suck with that! :D *drools* Printed manuals, dvds...mental ray...mmmmm Sorry, still over excited and I don't even have it yet!

Patrick

Ordibble-Plop
09-16-2004, 03:29 AM
I spoke to my reseller today (in New Zealand) and have seen on other resellers' sites that the training DVD offer is set to stop at the end of September. If there is anyone still wavering about whether to buy or not, this might be a factor.

Could someone explain to me the activation/licensing procedure for Foundation? I have seen mention of having to send in for a license, which I presume comes separate from the box. Who sends the license and by what means (the reseller; email etc.)?

It's just that the reseller in New Zealand is charging some silly price (and we aren't able to order direct from Softimage over the net), but I have a relative coming from Australia soon where it is much cheaper. Would I still be able to register Foundation if I am in a country different from the one the box was bought from?

lmcgarry
09-16-2004, 03:42 AM
You just have to log on to the Softimage website and enter the code that comes on a card in your box. This will return your final license number.

Linda

Rabid pitbull
09-16-2004, 04:19 AM
Ok, I am very very close to buying! Going to place an order tomorrow in fact. Been using the demo for a few days now and I am convinced of two things, first this will be a excellent purchace, and secondly I need the training material asap! I am wondering if it is better to order from softimage directly, or from a vender like safe harbor? Anyone know if there is any kind of shipping delay from either options?

wrosado
09-16-2004, 05:00 AM
Ok, I am very very close to buying! Going to place an order tomorrow in fact. Been using the demo for a few days now and I am convinced of two things, first this will be a excellent purchace, and secondly I need the training material asap! I am wondering if it is better to order from softimage directly, or from a vender like safe harbor? Anyone know if there is any kind of shipping delay from either options? Yesterday 11:42 PM
I ordered foundation on 9/13/04 and should be getting it on 9/16/04(according to the ups tracking)... pretty fast considering i picked basic shipping. can't wait to get it. I used the Evaluation copy for the full 30 days and was sad when i couldn't use it anymore... heartbroken. ...

I'm another LW---> xsi user.

Signal2Noise
09-16-2004, 05:06 AM
You just have to log on to the Softimage website and enter the code that comes on a card in your box. This will return your final license number.

Linda
True only if you've purchased XSI through a Reseller other than the Softimage Store.

If XSI is purchased on-line directly from Softimage then two things happen. First you are able to download XSI 4.0 and begin using it in Demo mode. Then Softimage, upon approval of the order, will email a status update of the order along with your Permanent License Key. Simply input that into the demo and, voila!, a full commercial version of XSI! Package arrives later and you're all set. :thumbsup:

pnoland
09-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Sweet! I was worried there for a second after reading these licensing posts that I would have to wait forever before getting my license key. ...ugh, it's only thursday?! I can't wait until tomorrow to order! :D

Patrick

lmcgarry
09-17-2004, 01:03 AM
but I have a relative coming from Australia soon where it is much cheaper. Would I still be able to register Foundation if I am in a country different from the one the box was bought from?
Since he is buying in Australia, he hasn't got the option of a download from Softimage so he will have to get a physical package. Aahhh, the joys of living downunder!

Linda

Spacelord
09-17-2004, 01:28 AM
Since he is buying in Australia, he hasn't got the option of a download from Softimage so he will have to get a physical package. Aahhh, the joys of living downunder!

Linda
You have to wonder why Australia aren't on Softimage's store list.
They have every country for Argentina to Zimbabwe and no Australia.
Damn whats with that !!
We hosted the Olympics in 2000, you would think we would be on the map by now :)

kawallo
09-17-2004, 02:37 PM
You have to wonder why Australia aren't on Softimage's store list.
They have every country for Argentina to Zimbabwe and no Australia.
Damn whats with that !!
We hosted the Olympics in 2000, you would think we would be on the map by now :)Here in Italy is the same. My local Softimage reseller explained me that for some reasons Avid Italia doesn't want that italians buy the softimage package from the Softimage web store.
Avid Australia thinks the same for australian people interested on Softimage probably...

Milho
09-18-2004, 05:15 AM
I'm one of the guys who waits for the linux version.
Hm...seems the DVD promotion stops in september? Well so linux users are discriminated again. Or maybe AVID does the promotion with linux version as well. Would be so cool.

Hm I'm still not sure about linux at all. I mean AVID is supposed to be linux friendly? But why do they release thier Editing Tools for XP or Mac only? Well maybe thats the difference between Avid and the softimage developers.
If you want to survive today you need either linux AND windows systems or a team of developers. Well actually they can't bugfix windows but they might code some tools for linux :)
I'm happy anyway that CG/Editing is moving to linux or ALSO to linux slowly. It has it cons for sure but stability and flexibility are more imoportant (my 5 cents)
http://www.marcus.tillberg.net/guestbook/img/tux.gif

Good move AVID, now impress me some more and you got another 500 bucks :thumbsup:

markdc
09-23-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm onboard after testing it for a month :) Max feels like a dinosaur when I use it now.

TheAllusionist
09-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Ordered foundation on Monday, patiently waiting for arrival. Doesn't look like it will make it for the weekend, which is good since I have a lot of work to do and it would only destract me! ;)

RFX
09-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Just faxed in my quote, paying tomorrow or Monday, so yes i am now in the XSI Family :)

optical op
09-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Another newbie to XSI - watched some of the demo stuff which you can find all over the web and that convinced me along with many favourable reviews. So far I've only really looked at modelling, but the poly tools are awsome!

alexyork
10-02-2004, 02:32 PM
my copy of Foundation arrived last week. I can't leave it alone! Well.. except to write this post :)

i've been using XSI for a couple of years, now.

bring it on!

Savi
10-03-2004, 10:04 AM
im defently gona buy this for 500 bucks and with the free dvd's its a great deal, im just using the XSI exp for hl2 to get used to modeling, new to it :), gona get next month have to pay off some of my cc lol

oh and i emailed Softimage's website to ask how long the free dvd bundle will last and i was told till the end of 2004

Stoehr
10-05-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm officially an XSI owner! finally....

GatorNic
10-05-2004, 06:21 PM
I was a little disappointed yesterday when I received another billl. This time it was from UPS. So besides paying for the $533 for XSI and shipping which I am quite fine with, I got another bill for $26.00 for "package prepping" during customs. (Canada -> USA). :sad:

pierre
10-05-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah! here I am...

...XSI Foundation arrived last week.

Rabid pitbull
10-05-2004, 09:05 PM
I was a little disappointed yesterday when I received another billl. This time it was from UPS. So besides paying for the $533 for XSI and shipping which I am quite fine with, I got another bill for $26.00 for "package prepping" during customs. (Canada -> USA). :sad:
Yeah I got one of those too, called ups and they said the would take care of it as a customer service to me. So i can't be too mad, but I felt that no mention of this was mighty shady on the part of avid...... :curious:

Moral of the story, always ship air from other countries to avoid these extra fees, they only apply to ground shippments apparently. :shrug:

JDex
10-05-2004, 09:09 PM
I got one too... UPS wasn't willing to for-go it, that's for sure. The cost difference between the Air shipping option and the Ground shipping option was about the same... so it's really a mute point. I still got my shipment as fast as if I had air-shipped, so no biggy. I just wish SI/Avid would ship to US customers from Avid's US headquarters, hell that's 60 miles from me, I woulda picked it up.

GatorNic
10-06-2004, 05:42 AM
yeah its too bad, I know if you mark a package as a gift instead of regular it will pass through customs without a charge. (atleast by USPS between Canada and the US) Should of asked them to mark it as a gift, heh!

coryc
10-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah I got one of those too, called ups and they said the would take care of it as a customer service to me. So i can't be too mad, but I felt that no mention of this was mighty shady on the part of avid...... :curious:

Moral of the story, always ship air from other countries to avoid these extra fees, they only apply to ground shippments apparently. :shrug:
I had mine shipped ground just to the north of you and I didn't get a bill. The fee is only applied to a small percentage of packages from Canada. You can blame the US government for your fees, not Avid. They can't list off everything that might happen to your package while it was in shipping like the USPS might misplace your package behind a shelf for 50 years before delivering it or a disgruntled carrier might horde your package in their garage for years instead of delivering it (both true).

Shady is when a popular overweight doctor on TV sells a diet program.

chokebore
10-06-2004, 03:13 PM
my copy of xsi foundation arrived last week. spend all my time to look at the dvd's.
i worked for four years in a studio with their version of xsi. know i got my own :)

i'm happy ...

GatorNic
10-06-2004, 03:49 PM
i worked for four years in a studio with their version of xsi. now i got my own :)

feels good doesn't it! :bounce:

philstopford
10-06-2004, 11:00 PM
As a long time LightWave user who wants to find a reliable linux-based solution with a Windows counterpart, XSI looks very tempting indeed. The absence of a linux Foundation release (although forthcoming) and the broken XSI EXP 3.0 package (never managed to get it to run on any recent distribution) have me in a state of concern though. I fear that the linux releases may simply become unusable with future distributions; with the lack of update to hte EXP release to make it work with current distributions, I'm not sure what to expect.

The other irritation is that, for the Windows version at least, it seems to be unusable in the default state on a 1024x768 laptop screen, making it difficult to work on-the-go.

If there were 1024x768 layouts for 4.0, a working package for linux that could be used for evaluation (hopefully the upcoming Foundation release will work the same way as the Windows one) and more evident support for current distributions, the choice would have made itself by now.

That said, I'm keeping a very interested eye on the situation.

jorgevaldes
10-06-2004, 11:19 PM
The other irritation is that, for the Windows version at least, it seems to be unusable in the default state on a 1024x768 laptop screen, making it difficult to work on-the-go.

You can collapse the toolbars on the right side of the interface by right clickig on them, thus giving you acces to the tools you couldn't reach at first. The ones on the left side are not collapsable as far as i know, but all of its functions can be accesed via keybord shortcuts or the main menubar on top, as far as I know....
So no it's not unusable, the workflow might be less eficient, but not unusable.

wmendez
10-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Softimage is dedicated to supporting Linux and future Distros, I can not comment on a Foundation version as of yet. As for your display issue V4 is now scalable so you would not run into the limitations that you had with 3.5.1.

Kzin
10-07-2004, 12:19 PM
recieved my found-version lasst week too. before the prize drop, i want to buy cinema4d, because of the lower prize. but with this unbelievable prize for such great piece of software with all of the top features, like mr 3.3, particels and the great subdiv's, the decision was to easy, for xsi. and the 5 dvd's are great and i think, si should pack it to all xsi versions.

powerwave3d
10-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Placed my order a few hours ago for Foundation.

Was deciding between Modo or XSI. Weighed the pros and cons and decided that XSI was definitely the best value.

wmendez
10-07-2004, 04:55 PM
recieved my found-version lasst week too. before the prize drop, i want to buy cinema4d, because of the lower prize. but with this unbelievable prize for such great piece of software with all of the top features, like mr 3.3, particels and the great subdiv's, the decision was to easy, for xsi. and the 5 dvd's are great and i think, si should pack it to all xsi versions.
Right now until mid Dec the DVD's come standard when you purchase Foundation, Essentials,and advance. Academic versions as well.

Kzin
10-07-2004, 06:39 PM
yes i know, i mean the dvd's should always packed, also beyond this date, because the dvd's are great to learn xsi fast.

SevenString
10-07-2004, 06:50 PM
I have a 1280 x 800 laptop screen, so I WAS going to muck around with creating a custom layout. However, someone here gave the great tip of just setting the total resolution to 1280x1024. This makes the 1280x800 screen a "window" on the total 1280x1024 layout, where the screen automatically scrolls up or down based on mouse position.

Now that I'm used to this, it works like a charm.

philstopford
10-08-2004, 01:06 AM
Softimage is dedicated to supporting Linux and future Distros, I can not comment on a Foundation version as of yet. As for your display issue V4 is now scalable so you would not run into the limitations that you had with 3.5.1.
Hmm. I thought it ought to be, but the trial installation of XSI 4 here didn't seem to behave any differently from my experience with the EXP installation on Windows. I had expected that maybe the left part would develop a scroll bar or simply resize itself to fit everything on screen, but nope :(

Granted, 1024x768 is not an amazingly high resolution (although common on laptops), but coming from LW it seems a little bit of an oversight in a highend application not to at least cater for it more sanely - it's the first application where I've seen this kind of behaviour :). It hasn't put me off picking up a copy of the Foundation release for linux when it appears, and I'm prepared to admit that I missed a trick with the trial version in sorting it out, but I was more concerned about seeing whether existing assets could be migrated from LW with minimal hassle.

cresshead
10-08-2004, 01:18 AM
would you believe i'm STILL waiting for my dvd's and install cdrom for xsi foundation??!!

i ordered it on 27 august...i really can't get motivated to learn xsi without the dvd's even though i have the downloaded xsi trial now turned into a full xsi 4.0 foundation.

i have had 2 apology emails from softimage saying they would ship it last week...then they said it would ship this week...still not here...

well while i'm waitng i put an order in for the tee shirt, back pack, fundementals and tutorial pack....may as well wait for a whole bunch of stuff eh!

later!

steve g:shrug:

coryc
10-08-2004, 02:41 PM
If you haven't got them already, there is a tutorial CD that is available for download off their site. I believe it is in 2 files, tutorials in one and content in another. It's worth playing with while you wait.

Tricky4D
10-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Yep, I bought my copy about 3 weeks ago. Very nice tar very much.. :)

JTD
10-20-2004, 04:54 PM
I did it but don’t tell my wife. Now, are there any trueSpace to XSI quickstart tutorials?:D

Actually, since I’m fairly new at 3D, having learned the basics of modeling, texturing, little bit of animating (but somehow lighting perplexes me) I’ll come to this with an open mind; a fresh perspective; no preconceived notions; an honest enthusiasm!

I know XSI is a deep program but an upgrade to trueSpace’s latest version would cost me a lot more so I might as well jump in with both feet. Prepare to be bombarded with questions….:)

HarverdGrad
10-20-2004, 07:45 PM
New Owner here :)
Coming from LW.

mg3d
10-21-2004, 06:22 AM
got me hooked. coming from lw/messiah/maya myself
totally loving the workflow BTW :)

cheers
-mG

db2
10-22-2004, 03:59 AM
I should get mine Monday if UPS gets it moving. I'm a total newbie and looking forward to those DVDs. I'm doing a lot of doc reading for now.

Odrakir
11-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Another ex-lightwave user trapped into XSI:Foundation

mg3d
11-18-2004, 03:35 PM
box arrived yesterday :)........ooooh baby!

-mG

GatorNic
11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Another ex-lightwave user trapped into XSI:Foundation
You know, I have seen a lot of posts about people switching from Lightwave to XSI. Is there a particuliar reason why? I have never used lightwave, so I am not sure. Are the UI's close or something?

-Nic

mg3d
11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
well, price for one. $ talks. Secondly, i think there seems to be some people unhappy with the current state of lightwave. (please..please don't start flaming)

anyway...those are my reasons for migrating.

-mG

Odrakir
11-18-2004, 04:22 PM
I don't either want to talk about lightwave's current state and about which soft is best (so please people, just don't).

But, to answer your question, nix21, I would say XSI and Lightwave both have very similar interfaces and workflow in many situations. So if you use LW and switch to some other app, is logical to choose XSI.

The price drop is a big reason too.

Doublecrash
11-18-2004, 08:10 PM
I've bought Foundation last week and it arrived yesterday! :bounce:

I'm overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of training material that came with it. Not only the DVDs, but also the Media and Documentation CD. I think I'll be out of social business for the next two or three months (to say the least) :)

And... it arrived and I got the license key just two days after my Foundation trial expired... that's timing! :love:

Back to start learning something...

Stefano

pixel mixer
11-19-2004, 08:44 AM
got mine after getting dizzy with maya's mental ray implementation. the main issue was IPR with mental ray. that drived me really crazy.

Odrakir
11-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Still waiting... :sad:

Anyone knows if outside US the "Carrier tracking #" in the receipt page is supposed to say something?. Because mine is just blank... and now I don't know if it has already shipped (oredered 1 week and 1 day ago)

Plunderhawk
12-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Ordered Foundation 4.2 on Sunday and I'm eager to get my dvd's.
Coming from LW I find the workflow very easy to pick up. Hopefully I'll be up to speed very soon.

I think I'll definately save my penny's to upgrade to Essential though.

mcewan7
12-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Similar story here, current LW user, ordered Foundation today, really like what the application has to offer straight out of the box. I will probably try to sell my LW8 shortly. Then I will upgrade to Essentials with the cash!

The main reason I choose to change to Softimage is the speed and quality of updates.

Don Pedro
12-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Ordered my copy last wednesday!

Couldn't complete my order in softimage.com so they sended me an email (Avid) on friday regarding my order. After soo.. many phone calls I was able to give them my credit card number only to find out today that they don't accept amex :scream:
Tried to call them again (total over 15 times and still counting) a couple of times tomorrow to give them my mastercard number but I only get voicemail :sad:

Sales are going obviously too good currently... aah trying to reach them again tomorrow....

wmendez
12-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Is this the 800-387-2559 number that you are calling? If anything e-mail sales (at)softimage.com or xsisales (at) Softimage.com and someone will get back to you soon after.

Don Pedro
12-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Is this the 800-387-2559 number that you are calling? If anything e-mail sales (at)softimage.com or xsisales (at) Softimage.com and someone will get back to you soon after.Hey, thanks for asking!

All I currently have is two direct numbers and email addresses (...@avid.com)
for two different people and I don't dare to send my card info on email. I think they are located in Ireland. Well back to dialing :rolleyes:

Odrakir
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
I ordered mine 4 weeks ago and still hasn't got here.

First they told me it was because of the big amount of orders, then they told me it was because of the release of 4.2....

Don't know what to think I'm starting to loose my pacience.

GatorNic
12-09-2004, 03:26 PM
I ordered mine 4 weeks ago and still hasn't got here.

First they told me it was because of the big amount of orders, then they told me it was because of the release of 4.2....

Don't know what to think I'm starting to loose my pacience.
I think mine took like a month and a half to get. Heck it sat in customs for more than a week. And that was when 4 was released in August.

Just chill and download off the website. Kinda got ansy waiting for the DVD's but there are plenty of great tuts to keep ya busy in the mean time. Actually helps following along without havin to rewind vids all the time if ya already have some familiarity with the program.

wmendez
12-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Pedro: Where are you located?

Odrakir: I believe it was because they wanted to send you the 4.2 CD's and Not 4.0 so the wait was for getting the new material. Contact store (at)softimage.com for an update.

Don Pedro
12-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Pedro: Where are you located?
In the beautiful snowy Finland ;) I actually got a hold of the people in there and got my order number ... and now I stop "wyning" (sorry, don't know how to spell that word).

I still have some days left in the evaluation version so back to educating myself.

Thanks wmendez,

Petri

btw. as a hockey fan I have to say you guys rock!

Odrakir
12-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Finally!! Got it.

Just when I was about to write softimage store to complain about my package not shipping.

The bad news is I don't have time to play with it now... too much work :(

mcewan7
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
If anyone is interested in a rough shipping guide:

Ordered via the softimage.com store for delivery to the UK on Tuesday the 7th of December. Recieved delivery on the following Monday, 13th December. Thats less than a week!

Shenan
12-22-2004, 07:18 PM
I ordered my copy of Foundation on December 14, before the free DVDs offer expired. The package is supposed to arrive on the 24th. :applause:

This is will be my first serious foray into actually doing 3D work, but I've been reading about and following the industry for many many years... LOL, how goofy is that? I had copies of CGW and other magazines going back to 1993 (and even older stuff), and only now have taken the plunge and bought some software. Time to catch up on these last 10-12 years, and hope I'm not too old by the time I know what I'm doing.

Cheers and see you guys around here, with probably lots of questions!

3D, here I come!

Shenan

GatorNic
12-23-2004, 03:14 AM
This is will be my first serious foray into actually doing 3D work, but I've been reading about and following the industry for many many years... LOL, how goofy is that? I had copies of CGW and other magazines going back to 1993 (and even older stuff), and only now have taken the plunge and bought some software. Time to catch up on these last 10-12 years, and hope I'm not too old by the time I know what I'm doing.

Hey good for you Shenan! All I can say is you'll probably get intimidated at first, but just keep up with it. XSI is a good place to start, especially wit da Training DVDs.

Good Luck!

Shenan
12-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Hey thanks nix21! I have played around a little bit with Blender and Animation Master, and did most of the tutorials included with Maya PLE, so hope that I won't be completely lost...

Don Pedro
12-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Hi Shenan,

I'm basically in a same situation than you are. I have licenses to 3D Canvas, Curvy3D and Silo, but this is my first try with a "real" pro software.

I totally "fell in love" with XSI once I got it. Its just perfect!

My day job has nothing to do with 3D but I started my "3D career" about thirty (something) years ago with Lego bricks:thumbsup:

With XSI it is so much more fun!!!

WillRyan
12-28-2004, 08:25 PM
I just picked up my Foundation box and cracked it open, and to my surprise, the production series dvd's were the first thing my eyes saw! I thought the offer expired a week before I ordered my copy of XSI. I briefly used XSI 1.0 at my old job, and despite it being the buggiest software I had ever used, I couldn't wait to use it again. Modelling and just moving thru the interface was a joy: like the perfect mix of Max and Softimage.

I'm staggered by the amount of training information I have to pour thru now.

manfriday
12-29-2004, 12:16 AM
They extended the offer to Dec 31st.

I just ordered XSI advanced. I work for a educational institution so I got edu pricing (SWEET!). IM totaly stoked. Hopefuly the production DVD's come with the edu version.

belail
12-29-2004, 06:56 AM
You can add me to the club now, I got my copy just over a week ago. Right now I'm about 150 pages into the manual and an hour and a half into the dvds which means I've got a ways to go before I get throught it all.

MyAMeE
12-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I got XSI last week. I was tracking it online from the time I had purchased it. The DVD’s are full of information. I will spend a week on one DVD at a time to fully grasp the power of XSI. One tutorial I saw that I had asked questions in the past is how to make a camera map projection after watching “Beyond” from the Animatrix. A tutorial on how to do it is on one of the copies of the DVD. I now know how to do it as well as a host of other things.

Pilchard
12-31-2004, 01:40 AM
Student Prices! Yay! :)

Advancedaroonie!

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.