PDA

View Full Version : simple question: HL2/EXP, obj texture

ElysiumGX
08-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Since the XSI price drop, and the release date of HL2 getting close (maybe), I've downloaded EXP to learn the program. I'd like to purchase it soon, the animation tools look nice. I don't need it for modeling, cause it's really not that great. Programs such as Wings3D and Silo have great modeling tools.

So I have my obj file with UV mapping exported from Wings3D. I import it into XSI. select import Material and Mapping, and select Texture view. Then I select Render>Get Texture>Image and select my .psd or .jpg file for the diffuse map. The image does not fit my mesh...at all. It's as if the obj file was never mapped. XSI seems to want to remap it for me.
I've also tried drap and dropping the image from the Explorer Window with the same result. All other packages easily drag and drop the image onto the mesh via the material editor. How does XSI handle this?

How can I fix this? I've looked around with no luck. It has been asked here before with no answer.

ElysiumGX
08-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Could someone atleast explain the steps on how they would go about this? Maybe I'm not doing it correctly to begin with.

JDex
08-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Select the model and open the texture editor... load the texture file. See if the uv's are lining up, it sounds like they aren't, but I don't know why.

I go between XSI>Wings<XSI constantly via .obj and can't remember ever having a problem.

Make sure on import that the UV's checkbox is checked, and for giggles make sure the material is imported too.

In the the explorer, look under clusters and read off the name of any cluster there in the thread.

ElysiumGX
09-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks for replying. I did like you said...still the same result. It's like XSI is automatically mapping everything from the Z axis.

Here's how it looks in Wings:
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/shocker/shockwings.jpg

And here it is exported as an OBJ, with the mtl and texture in the same folder...imported into XSI with Material and UV's selected:
http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/shocker/shockxsi.jpg

I don't understand why it's so difficult to perform such a simple task.

Ablefish
09-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Have you tried importing the obj back into wings? Just to check that the UVs were exported properly. Because it looks like XSI can't find any UV info so its just giving you a simple xy projection. You said you checked, but you didn't say what you found in the clusters folder.

I've never used Wings, so I don't know how many options you have on export. If multiple UV sets are permitted, perhaps the wrong one is being associated with the model during exporting. To keep things simple, I'd try without materials at first - just get those UVs across first.

I've moved OBJs from LW and from Maya, and it was usually pretty painless. And you can just drag an image file from a browser onto the mesh and it will apply the texture to the surface using the topmost UV set on the object.

bravmm
09-05-2004, 11:55 AM
ElysiumGX,

be carefull with statements like "I don't need it for modeling, cause it's really not that great" or " I don't understand why it's so difficult to perform such a simple task".

The first statement in combination with your recent download of XSI HL just tells me you didn't gave it time to spend a couple of days with the modelling tutorials. It's always difficult coming from another app, and polygon modelling in XSI is very powerfull when you get the hang of it. Also the texturing tools are top notch, just runthgrough them to get the hang of it and how to look for UV "problems".

When switching apps it's always "you win some, sou loose some". I know, I swiched from 3DSMAX to MAYA to LW to XSI, and it took me a couple of months per app to get comfy again.

Your second statement lies the blame of the Wing3d>XSI export/import with XSI. Not entirely fair when you don't know what Wings3D is exporting. Exporting data between applications, especially 3D apps is very complicated, a lot of people in this forum can tell you. Best option is the Motionbuilder plugins for this stuff.

So please try all steps before posting, and also please post detailed steps of all you tried.
I don't want to lecture you, but felt the need to respond because you might give people the wrong idea about some workflows.

cheers and no harm dome ;),

rob

Sisyphus
09-06-2004, 12:31 PM
I answered you at Polycount forums ;)

I am having a good experience via wings->ultimate Unwrap-> xsi trial. (I'm a total xsi foundation newbie)

but looks like it works also directly from wings, if was all natively done in Wings.

ElysiumGX
09-06-2004, 03:22 PM
ElysiumGX,

be carefull with statements like "I don't need it for modeling, cause it's really not that great" or " I don't understand why it's so difficult to perform such a simple task".

I don't want to lecture you, but felt the need to respond because you might give people the wrong idea about some workflows.

cheers and no harm dome ;),

rob
You're right. That was the frustration talking. It would be better for me to say "my modeling isn't so great in XSI compared to what I can do in Wings in a very short amount of time, but maybe I'll learn to like it.". I have used them for a couple hours. It looks nice, even though my layout isn't the best right now.

And I'm frustrated about not being able to perform simple tasks from my experience with other "free version" applications...not just EXP. Which is why I'm interested in finally investing in a full commercial package. I want that package to be XSI Foundation, and soon. So I'm struggling to learn as much as I can about it.

One answer is for me to simply learn how to unwrap with XSI's tools. I but they're better than Wing's, since Wing's mapping is in very early developement.

Honestly, I'm not an animator...but I find XSI's animation tools to be superb.

I'll keep trying with suggestions from you guys and post my results. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.