PDA

View Full Version : any good tutorials with subDee modeling?

allawy
08-06-2002, 06:35 PM
Hi;

I want to know if there is a good tut. for subDee modeling (for XSI or any other app.), how to use the tools in the right whay, I don't how to do a face or so, I need something that tells what should I do and what to be taken into account!

anyone?

Atyss
08-07-2002, 01:21 AM
Check out the modeling tutorials on www.edharriss.com. There a couple about subd modeling.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

allawy
08-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi;

Thanks, I know his site, and I know allot of other sites that talk about subDee, it's not that I want to know how to model a head, I need the rules to use subDee, like how to achive a specific shap or curve, why should I extrude an edge here or a point, and stuff like there, I need the rules.

I come with a big back ground with NURBS, the problem is that although XSI NURBS are good, but not perfect (I used to use Rhino, still), so I have no problems with NURBS, I can model almost anything I want with them, BUT, I want to know how to work with SubDee too

Another question is, what can I do with SubDee that I can't with NURBS? and with NURBS that I can't with subDee?

If you wonder what a guy like me is doing when he has this gap in info, I would only say that I did not study 3D CG, I'm an Aeronautical Engineer.

Atyss
08-07-2002, 02:10 PM
For the subd rules, well you have to experiment to know them. You can start with simple objects, like domestic objects (lamps, TVs, speakers and the likes). Just keep in mind the more edges you have in an area, the more accurate your shape will be when you apply the subdivision algorithm.

For the nurbs question, to summarize... You can create single surface objects with subd, it's much more easier to edit the UVs in the Texture Editor, you can have n-sided faces, you can have polygon and edge clusters, easier to paint enveloppe, and there may be others.
With nurbs, you can use the anisotropic shader.... Sorry, I don't like the XSI nurbs. For me they are pretty useless, but it's a matter of taste.

Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

allawy
08-07-2002, 04:07 PM
Thanks I think i get some of the idea now, and I did find some resources about this subject, although they talked about Mirai more than XSI, but I think the princple is the same.

I did some experiments since then, but still I think there should be some good matterial on the internet about this, I mean, I don't want to follow some other persons steps to create whatever he/she did, I want to use the tools to produce something I intend to, not something come up with palying around, after all I'm going to use XSI for serious work (my company produce industrial stuff graphics, now they intending to have some new department for commerial production, and they are going for XSI, this is 6 months from now, so I think I will be more lucky to work with V.3).

I will start write some notes about my experments, and I will publish it somewhere, I think it's not fair that this is not in the net.

Joel Hooks
08-08-2002, 07:57 AM
The first XSI VTM for 3dbuzz.com touches on subD modeling. Great stuff, and it's free!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.