PDA

View Full Version : hypervoxel to simulate watery logo fx

thiaml
08-29-2004, 01:21 AM
hi there,

i'm trying to create an animation of a logo which which merges one to another like water does and also looks like water. can that be achieveable in lw? problem is i must have 2 objects in layout and animate it from there and have the objects blending together in hypervoxel. i can't get the nice blending effect in hypervoxel with same blending group and blending mode: additive.

do i have to animate the object in modeller and use endomorph to bring the object together? so when it gets closer to one another, it starts to blend? hope i'm making sense.

thanks
thiam.

mocaw
08-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Make the logo model look as close to water as you can, sub-divide it, add displacement. Add points to the model and make the points hypervoxels (is described in the 7.X manual). Make a surface that is like water from a sub-divided poly. Put hyper voxels on the top of the water via points to voxels. Have the logos Voxels blend with the surface.

thiaml
08-29-2004, 01:39 AM
thanks mocaw for replying,

can i ask would you animate the logo in layout as so far i can't get the nice watery blending of the objects in layout (kind of metaballs effect). for hypervoxel setting, i used the surface mode rather than volume.

SplineGod
08-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Thiaml,
You might be interested in this:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/lightwavefxseries.htm

kevman3d
08-29-2004, 09:29 AM
can i ask would you animate the logo in layout as so far i can't get the nice watery blending of the objects in layout (kind of metaballs effect). for hypervoxel setting, i used the surface mode rather than volume.
Surfaces are what you need for water obviously... They should blend together if they are all in the same effect group... Just make sure that you make the particle size large enough - Switching on 'show Particles' in HV panel will show you the particles - Each has a secondary 'ball' around it - This is the influence area where particles start to blend together - Just make sure they are inside each other...

Obviously, the more particles you have and the more they blend into each other, the slower the render will take!

With HV's, one way to get a more 'watery' effect could be to use the Hypervoxel stretch option - and use 'maintain volume'. As water drops onto a surface, it will obviously spread - You can animate the effect of stretching on the Y axis using a gradient or an envelope (though a gradient will let you control the individual particles via a 'Distance to object' control, an Envelope will affect all the HV's)

As they flatten out (compress the stretch - The 'maintain volume' option will squash them like a pancake) you can achieve a pretty cool 'pools of water' effect that may help your animation. (and perhaps lower the amount of particles you need?)

Also, like previously mentioned, create high-point meshes - Create morphs to 'slop' the text shape about for more control... The liquid animation would then be up to you to generate...

If that's not your cuppa-tea, LightWave 8 has some very good Dynamics simulation tools that may do the work for you... SoftFX I've used before to simulate characters made from liquids (it gives great 'slopping' about when a character moves!). Worth a look... You can experiment with the parameters to 'dissolve' and 'rebuild' a logo... Don't ask me how - I'll go have a play and see what I can pull off shortly (great excuse for a new tutorial!)

You could also possibly look at something like purchasing Realflow (if this is a paying job you're doing, you could write the cost of it into the price) - Its not cheap but it will let you simulate liquid effects just like this one very well.

Good luck...

mocaw
08-30-2004, 06:12 AM
You can take you Logo, make it a volume object (IE use thickner or the like). Make semi dense point array in another layer that "fills" up the logo volume- make those points into one point polys, and then do a boolean on them to subtract those outside of the logo.

I've found in LW8 that bringing just points into layout to use as HVs doesn't blend as well as when I've converted them into polys first.

If you have a few spare dollars though I'm sure SplineGods way will be much faster and way more flexable.

thiaml
08-30-2004, 12:13 PM
thanks guys for your helpful advice. it is a paying job but i haven't got it yet. and unfortunately i'm not charging a lot as it's a love job. i have done a few test with hypervoxel and found that it is extremely slow. when come to do the final render, it may take days to render 400 odd frames. ouch!!!

SplineGod
08-30-2004, 04:40 PM
The trick is to be careful to have any HVs appear just where you want them to.

5TEF
08-30-2004, 08:00 PM
hi all :-)

thiaml, i'm actually work on a such idea ! with a logo too !
first, i tried Realflow ( the demo ) : it will be the perfect program for this, but it's too expensive for me.....and i think it's possible with Lightwave ONLY ! ( 7.5c )

so i search, i search, i search...
i don't found very good tutorial about PFX and hypervoxel...

i think we need a lot of particles... i use around 20000 particles !...
i use the good technique of mocaw.

concerning PFX, it's hard to play with 20000 particles !

i will post a small anim soon...

fabmedia
07-22-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm glad I've found this. I've been wrestling with this technique too. Any suggestions? A couple of people that I've talked to is to set up your logo by subdividing it lots and delete the polys. In Lightwave, create the HV particles as necessary then explode the particles. then render the scene in reverse.

This doesn't sound right to me, but I want to know what your solution(s) were.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 10:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.