PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave to Flash

[CBD]LuC
08-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Hi! I was just wondering if there is a way to turn lightwave models into flash? I mean, so that you can use, say, movieclips made in Lightwave and have them integrated with flash.. Like Swift 3D does.. Anybody got any tips? :shrug:
Cheers!

webshot
08-28-2004, 07:13 PM
you can export as a quicktime movie then use the flash flv video importer to get it into flash.

[CBD]LuC
08-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Ok, cool.. Thanks!

greydef
08-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Isn't there a plugin version of Swift 3D for Lightwave? There used to be, but it irked me to pay again after I bought the original standalone version.

rickycox
08-29-2004, 02:50 PM
I bought the stand alone APP v.1 which in hindsight seemed like a complete waste of money. I was interested in getting v. 2 of the Lightwave Plugin but they don't allow cross-grades and after testing the demo I wasn't that impressed either. I think you can get the same results by importing an image sequence and Tracing Bitmap.

webshot
08-29-2004, 03:20 PM
I bought the stand alone APP v.1 which in hindsight seemed like a complete waste of money. I was interested in getting v. 2 of the Lightwave Plugin but they don't allow cross-grades and after testing the demo I wasn't that impressed either. I think you can get the same results by importing an image sequence and Tracing Bitmap.
Tracing bitmap will make the file size astronomical. Depending on how you need to control the timeline I think flv or an image sequence is your best bet. You can do a batch optimize in PS and FW if you choose image sequence.

Fuzatron
08-29-2004, 05:18 PM
Where the Swift3D plug-in shines is with the cel-shaded look. I agree that for other styles you may be better off with a image sequence or FLV.

[CBD]LuC
08-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys! I've tried the Swift plugin, and wasn't very inmpressed either.. But i'll try with the flv instead.. Cheers!

MikeMD
08-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Swift is a waste of money if you own Lightwave.
( maybe being too hars, you could use it for simple square shapes in some situations which would give you smaller file sizes and vector scalability, but that's about it )

Use bitmap sequence to import into flash or you can use video.

All animation in these games was imported as bitmap sequences.

http://www.deusx.com/football

http://www.deusx.com/golf

If you can limit the number of frames while keeping the animation realistic, you can keep file sizes down ( Swift file sizes would be larger if you used people like in these games ).

PS: just for the record my partnet did those, not me.

uncommongrafx
08-29-2004, 06:05 PM
Man,
You guys are bursting my bubble!! Finally convinced a client to get Swift3D for me and you guys are slamming it as a waste. Oh, so bummed!

I've been trying to get some animation in and it's been a beast keeping file sizes 'reasonable' inside a flash piece. I thought I would be able to get a nice sized file, vectored, that would be 'reasonable' size-wise. You guys are stating that there won't be too much benefit from such a thing?

C'mon, someone has a positive on Swift3D?

MikeMD
08-29-2004, 07:39 PM
If you are using simple shapes/objects the yes. You can have good file sizes and scalability.
But if you are looking at something more complex , then no.

It depends on what you want to do. You could use Swift simpler objects where applicable and then use bitmaps for the rest. Obviously bimaps have the advantage of looking better and more realistic too.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do about file size no matter what you use. It's difficult to say without knowing what the animation is. We just know that for those two games bitmaps are the way to go. Impossible to retain that look with vectors, and file sizes would have been larger if vectors were used for player animations. Also it's easier for flash player to move around bitmaps than complex vector shapes, so using bitmaps in games where speed matters is another strike against swift.

Fuzatron
08-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah. It really depends on what you are trying to do. You can't really approach it like you would animations for video. You have to stategize more as far as use of symbols.... Like scaling a movie clip instead of rendering a zoom. I'm sure you have seen Tokyo Plastic. Lots of great examples there of the things the plugin is good for. I *think* I heard or read somewhere that they used the max plugin(??)

I know it is more $$ but you might want to look into Optimaze. You can render the swf without a lot of optimization, and then take it into optimaze for the optimization. I wish optimaze was integrated into the renderer some way... maybe next version.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.