PDA

View Full Version : cv curve prob

morgn
08-28-2004, 03:10 PM
i have a circular curve and another curve outside it, so that they run parallel, but never meet.
ultimately i want to merge the two into one so that i can create a poly inbetween.
is merging possible? i see theres a merge function in create>curve> but it doesnt seem to work...

mr Bob
08-28-2004, 07:28 PM
so basically you want a tube , by using a polymesh / cylinder select the inner polys top and bottom then use the bridge polymesh command . this will give you a tube which you can edit .

does this help ?

B

bravmm
08-28-2004, 08:23 PM
What you're probably looking for is the Create>Poly.Mesh>Curves to Mesh tool. Select both cuvres and run the command. This will create a poly object with a zero extrusion. In the PPG you can play with extrusions, subd's etc. Fun thing is that the modeling relation is still active, letting you move the location of the original curves and see the created model/extrusion change. If your happy with it, freeze the result.

Hope this helps,

rob

mr Bob
08-28-2004, 08:32 PM
dont the curves have to be closed for that to work ?

B

morgn
08-28-2004, 08:39 PM
cheers guys.
i fixed it in the end. i curves to meshed each curve and then booleaned the middle poly out, giving me the part i needed. its probably a noob way of doing it but its given me what i wanted.
thanks for your help tho.

bravmm
08-28-2004, 08:48 PM
errr.... yes, they have to be closed. Sorry about that. Misread circular curve.

Merging curves in XSI is a bit confusing as far as im concerned.
What you do is select the first curve, and choose the create>curve>merge command. Now select the endpoint of the curve that has to be merged to the other curve. Now select curve #2 and select the point that has to be merged to the first curve. Fiddle with the settings in the PPG to get something you like. In my experience is this will not always get you a curve that is 'exactly' the same as what you started with. I do my (complex) curvework most of the time outside XSI (Illustrator) and import it. Saves you lots of time and experimenting.
It could be me, buty I never got the hang of XSI's curve tools.

Hope this helps,

rob

Ablefish
08-28-2004, 10:33 PM
You weren't looking for Loft were you? Creating geometry between 2 curves?

3DDave
08-29-2004, 11:51 PM
I am working with curves right now. You merge and blend be selecting points (CV's). Its not that hard to pick up. Then you can move them around (M and T Key). Snap points works nice too.

morgn
08-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Ablefish- yes! haha.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.