PDA

View Full Version : Above & Beyond - Vehicle/Character - Culann

Culann
08-06-2002, 06:46 PM
I'll join this one too :)

Expect the first designs relatively soon, I'm already sketching...

Culann
08-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Alright, here's the first sketch...

I'm going to do a cloud surfer and this is the first incarnation of the design I'll use in the eventual composition. It'll most likely evolve during the month, but I just wanted to get it on paper and on here as soon as possible. Looks as though many ppl have common ideas, so I have no doubts that someone else intends something similar. :)

The 'surfer' will get an additonal backpack, but I didn't want to draw that one in just yet.

Elf
08-08-2002, 06:01 PM
wow nice sketch:applause: like the surfers pose

Culann
08-08-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks Elf :)

The pose is not final, I just wanted to give everyone a good impression of where I'm headed with the whole 'cloud surfing'. I'll try to make it a little bit more dynamic in the final composition.

Kirt
08-08-2002, 08:03 PM
Cool one! You should change the straps on his feet into some sort of control device so that when he turns his legs or feet the board reacts to it.

I also thought it would be cool if you could make the clouds swirl behind him (affected by the propeller) into a barrel and have him dragging his hand through the cloud (typical surfer magazine shot).

Sunset colors would look really sharp too.

A lot of really cool potential with this one! Can't wait to see your final.

Culann
08-08-2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the comment Kirt!

I was actually just thinking about integrating the control device into the foot straps, or maybe into the board itself beneath his feet, so this will definitely make an appearance. As will the cloud swirls btw. I'm not sure if I'll go for the 'surfer beneath wave' shot, but I have something similar in mind. I'll just have to see if it works out the way I planned. :)

The sunset colours are a good idea, I just don't know whether I can integrate them convincingly or not. :hmm:

Next up: Pose studies

jeroentje
08-10-2002, 11:13 AM
He, great original idea :thumbsup:
Maybe put the engine underneath the board for better balance.
Have fun, jeroentje :beer:

Culann
08-19-2002, 10:25 AM
Sorry that I haven't replied for a while, I was busy working on another project of mine.

Anyway, thank you for your comment Jeroentje, I'm currently redesigning the board and I am planning to put to smaller engines beneath it. I'm not very used to implementing engines etc. into my designs, but I'm trying :)

Now, as I said, I did some pose studies for the surfer, even though he isn't the most important feature of the picture.

Here's the one I intend to use, unless of course, he looks too unsurferlike to everyone.

jeroentje
08-19-2002, 12:02 PM
You're doing fine :thumbsup:
Keep on going :bounce:
jeroentje

jeroentje
08-23-2002, 06:11 PM
UPDATE!!! :bounce:

Culann
08-23-2002, 08:37 PM
I'm seriously working on it! I completely redesigned the board layout
and will post the surfer/board combo lineart as soon as I finish it. :wip:

Culann
08-25-2002, 05:03 PM
Alright, here's the promised update!

I'll work on the background and foreground next, which means clouds and sky etc. :wip:

I guess I have to find a way to shrink the filesize of my pics without having to shrink the actual resolution much, the current way is unsatifactory...:hmm:

Ah well, C&C welcome, although I probably won't spent much more time on the lineart(I felt a strong dislike for drawing plane engines after completing the ones in the pic. :p )

jeroentje
08-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Still gets better every update.
Just a cheer to keep you going :bounce:

Culann
08-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Thanx Jeroentje,

I'll keep working on it! :thumbsup:

Culann
09-01-2002, 06:47 PM
Here's a small update...

Considering that this challenge entry is the first exclusively digitally coloured pic I've ever done, I don't think it's too bad. But I do realize that I still have a lot to learn!!!

Y'know I probably could have worked a lot more on this particular character, but finally decided to move on to the other components of the composition because he just isn't as important as the contraption itself. :hmm:

With only five days left for the rest, I really should pick up the pace! :wip:

Culann
09-04-2002, 06:14 PM
Another update....
I think that I'll finish the board itself today, leaving me all of tomorrow to deal with the sky and the clouds. :wip:

Culann
09-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Well, it's finished and I'm actually happy about how it turned out. :)

Here it goes:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.