PDA

View Full Version : does after ffects import divx

harvest
02-03-2002, 10:52 AM
does any one know how or if after effects take divx and if not how can i convert divx to a file format that after effect can support

shadow
02-04-2002, 07:39 PM
Well, a simple test (import a divxmovie into AE) showed that it didn't work. But even if it did, it would be very difficult to handle that file, because it usualy doesn't have that much keyframes in it.

As an alternative, if you realy want to use compression, use the Sorenson codec (you can do that with Quicktime). But my advice is to convert it to an uncompressed format, or a *.tif or *.tga sequence. Ok, sure the filesize is huge, but it works great + no quality is lost. You can convert it in Premiere. If you just want to have an uncompressed avi, then use virtualdub.

SheepFactory
02-04-2002, 11:30 PM
it handles div-x without any problems whatsoever. i dont know what kind of problems you guys are having?

after you install div-x , just select it from the list of compressors when making a movie.

are you a mac or pc user by the way , i dont know if div-x is out for mac yet.

hope that helps

A|i

shadow
02-05-2002, 04:06 AM
I run AE on a PC, but exporting is not the problem, importing is.

I did have some bad experiences with exporting with compression in AE (bad picture quality), but that was in 4.1. I haven't tested it in 5.0, so maybe these problems are solved.
I render uncompressed tiff sequences all the time now.

And there is a 'decoder-only' alphaversion of DivX for the mac. Available at divx.com

I always have problems (any program) when I'm importing v4.12 divx files. Does anyone know how I can do this?

SheepFactory
02-05-2002, 05:56 AM
hmm , i am using ae 5.0 pro , and didnt have any problems importing div-x. might be a 4.11 problem as you said.

that said , i generally dont import div-x anyway , best to work with uncompressed and than export to div-x.

what kind of problems are you having when importing , it doesnt import at all or something else??

A|i

harvest
02-07-2002, 08:18 PM
ok guys the problem that im haveing is i digitzied some video on my computer but i conpressit u sing divx but when i import it in to af 5 all i see is white and no image
do you guys have a suggestion on what kind of format thats avi i can compress it and it will showe up in af5
like what type of codec i can use

parallax
02-25-2002, 07:43 PM
If you have the codec installed, you should be able to import it in AE. Thats what the codec is all about, enabling you to handle video of the certain format.
I have no problems with divx, but as sheepfact. said, you better use a different uncompressed format (ie. TGA's)

shadow
02-26-2002, 01:03 PM
I know it should work: CoDec = enCOding & DECoding.
The thing is, I cant do it. I have divX 3.11 and 4.12 installed on my system.
Aftereffects comes with this message:

After Effects error: an unspecified error occured. The system cannot find the file specifies. (1)
( 53 :: 33 )

I always convert to a tiff sequence. So I don't have a problem there.

My problem is that I can't open certain avi's (divX 4.12) that DO play in Windows Media Player, but will not open in premiere or even virtualdub.
VirtualDub gives this error-message:
Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'MP42' (Microsoft High Speed MPEG-4 V2)
I didn't encode these files by the way.
Files files that I DID encode are read perfect by Premiere and Virtualdub (not AE)

This is a totaly different problem than the thing harvest is dealing with.

harvest
02-26-2002, 07:47 PM
thanks for the help but i still get white screen when i import the the divx what do you guys recommend i use besides sequence tif, targa, jpe what about
cinepack or do you guys know any other good codecs for avi

Targ8ter
03-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Well, I pretty much stick to JPG sequences for comping, if I'm only outputing to an AVI. I usually export to DivX, but I've never imported it.

My solution to odd file formats has always been to use VDub to convert them to another AE-friendly format. You can grab VDub here: http://www.virtualdub.org/. It is essentially a video and audio filtering tool, with a huge number of accepted import and export formats. Very handy tool.

alx
03-07-2002, 04:30 AM
or if you have premiere... then impor the file and export it no div-x... maybe sorenson or indeo... or uncompressed....avi's
and if it doesn't work on premiere.....then do it with the capture software you have...
hope that helps.

sincerely

alx
:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.