PDA

View Full Version : Particles with an air field

mar-one
08-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Here is what i am trying to work on i have a softbody plane and another plane emitting particles with and air field. What i want the particles to do is hit the plane and make ripples in the softbody like a meteor shower, but it doesnt work. But i can get it to work with nurbs spheres and air fields. Does anyone know how to connect the air field to the particles so that it will work? :banghead:

Richard Slechta
08-26-2004, 08:47 PM
If I understand you correctly, you want to instance geometry (a meteor) to particales and collide with your softbody thus creating ripples. If you make your instanced geometry a collsion object and connect in the dynamic relationships to your softbody particles it should work. Play with the goal weight to get desired ripple amount.

Another approach is just set up two identical particle objects. one just particles, the other instanced low res geometry with collisons. turn off primary visibility on your instanced objects. - render away.

In maya's particle engin, particles will not collide with other particles (ie softbody), however, check out the script on highend3d, "Brainbugz". Haven't worked with it, but I hear it is noteworthy.
cheers

mar-one
08-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks, I was thinking thats what i would have to do. But I havent tryed that yet. I will try that script on highend tonight.

mar-one
08-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Well makeing and instance geometry didnt work. I can get the spheres to replace the particles but i can not assign an air field to the instanced geometry nor can i make the a collison object. I dont want the geometry or particales to bounce of the softbody i would like them to pass through the softbody like a liquid creating a ripple effect or title wave. any ideas?

Richard Slechta
08-27-2004, 11:12 PM
ok,
now I have a better idea of what you are looking for. create nurbs plane with resoulution. make softbody with settings dup with copy soft and make non-soft goal. also check hide and set goal wt. to about .1. select particles and make springs - creation -wireframe with walk lenght of about 3-4. now make an emitter with the particles that will ineract with surface. design birth and behavior. add a radial field to particles and select both particles and radial go to - fields > use selected source as field. on radial turn on apply per vertex. play with max distance to get area of impact and magnitude to depth. Your spings are going to control the amout of follow-through behavior.
you are set. from there it is really just tweeking the settings.

If you want a great resource for going in depth into this subject. Check out the Gnomon training DVD's. for softbodies see dynamics 8 and 9.
www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/dyn09.html

I am just finishing up my studies at Gnomon. Alex Alverez (the dvd dynamics instructor) is really hot stuff. Check it out.
ciao

mar-one
08-28-2004, 03:47 AM
:applause: Thanks Richard thats was exactly the way i was trying to do this but I left one thing out selecting the particle and field > use selected source as field. That was the key thanks for you help. I am working on buying the Gnomon DVD's for Dynamics i have a few allready. Thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.