PDA

View Full Version : what kind of laptop to buy for 3d ?

moshe z.
08-06-2002, 09:49 AM
hi
I am going on a long trip to India and I want to buy a laptop so I can work with 3d Max
what do u think is the best laptop to but and where can I find information about it ?

Fede
08-06-2002, 01:22 PM
For all your needs this is a great article

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/techz/laptop3d.php

enjoy and happy shopping!!!!

fxforless
08-07-2002, 07:36 PM
I was considering the Apple Powerbook because Maya 4.5 will be supported on it. Mac OS seems better for OpenGL than Windoze.

I know you mentioned 3D Max which is not as picky about video card, but running Maya on a PC is highly dependent on having the right video card and driver.
If you want to run Maya on a PC laptop you must get a Dell M50 workstation laptop, which is more $$$$ than the Inspiron 8100.

I'm tired of messing around with the drivers etc. in Windows. I've heard some people have had bad experiences with the Dell laptops; poorly fitting components, difficult to configure.

Note the Mac is lower resolution though there was a study done by another company suggesting any higher resolution is too much.
I think the Mac screen is brighter.
The CPU is slower than PCs but there's better support for OpenGL which partly makes up for it.

I'd like to see some more feedback here.. can anyone argue for against the points I've made above? any experience with the Dell M40/50 or Mac Powerbook running Max and/or Maya?

dvornik
08-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Please don't start another mac vs PC war. He asked about max.

Fede
08-08-2002, 07:25 AM
AMEN

moshe z.
08-08-2002, 08:33 AM
Fede
what laptop u ended up buying ?

or can anyone tell me if he got one and how it is working ?
allso important is the battary life,
and since i'm flying to Thailand and then India do u think it will cost less to buy it there ?
if anyone is from there let me know

tnx for all the help

cheers

Fede
08-08-2002, 08:42 AM
Hey dude,

I bought a descktop, i just ran into the article and thought it would help you. why don't you email the author?

As far as buying one there i don't know if it's such a good idea as support might not be available in your country once you bring it back cause it might be regarded as grey.

sorry could not give better info

moshe z.
08-08-2002, 08:53 AM
well i think i will buy one there since i think it will be cheeper
but the article helped me allot,

tnx

alex_rosman
08-11-2002, 09:03 PM
There is a new Fujitsu laptop that seems to work great with 3d applications. Also take a look in toshiba. I've seen a P4 2.2 laptop with a 64mb video card and 512mb of ram. This should be enought for running max 4.
But never expect haveing the same performance in a laptop than in a desktop computer.
hope this helps,
bye,
alex.

thinKer3D
08-11-2002, 10:38 PM
::

Currently Pentinum 4 laptops are the best for 3D work simply because mobile Athlon XP processors don't have the chipset support like they should. Therefore, mobile Athlon XP processors are used on cheaper notebooks but I wouldn't recommand them for graphic work using max or any other 3D package.

Mobile P4 have outstanding graphics chipset support which makes them the BEST and only choice on the market right now. Mobile P4's for laptops are it man!

In reality though, given a better chipset support, mobile Athlon XPs will trash mobile P4.

Hopefully the new ATi's Radeon IGP320M Chipset for mobile Athlons XPs will change this some to some degree. Check out the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/02q2/020516/index.html

:applause:

::

KID
08-28-2002, 08:55 AM
the alienware specs seem nice.

moshe z.
08-28-2002, 09:14 AM
where can i get information about it ?

derelict
08-28-2002, 10:46 AM
Get DELL. Period!

De-Cypher
08-28-2002, 01:12 PM
check out the laptops at www.alienware.com

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.