PDA

View Full Version : separate edges

hsuanfu
08-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Hello,

I have a sphere and i want to separate it into half apeice, by doing something with
the edges (not split edges though). There is one command in Model tool, but i forgot
where to find it. Can someone helps me out here?

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

wurp
08-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Disconnect components? Works only in v4 though :)

DougNicola
08-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Why edges? You could select the polys you want to separate, then Create->poly mesh->extract polygons.

Then merge and freeze if you only want one object. Disconnect will do it too, of course.

ThE_JacO
08-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Why edges? You could select the polys you want to separate, then Create->poly mesh->extract polygons.

Then merge and freeze if you only want one object. Disconnect will do it too, of course.
extract will create a separate mesh.
disconnect will keep everything in the same mesh and only disconnect components.

they do different things, otherwise one would have been stripped because of redundancy.

hsuanfu
08-27-2004, 05:47 AM
well, there is this thing that can cleanly splits 2 faces into half, by doing
something with the edge in between, without using split edges or extract
poly. I did it in a tutorial once but i forgot where that command was.
Yes, i'm using 4.0. If anyone knows, please let me know :)

ThE_JacO
08-27-2004, 11:43 AM
well, there is this thing that can cleanly splits 2 faces into half, by doing
something with the edge in between, without using split edges or extract
poly. I did it in a tutorial once but i forgot where that command was.
Yes, i'm using 4.0. If anyone knows, please let me know :) then you don't want to separate it but add an edgeloop in the middle right?
hint: select an edge and use shift+d or ] or [

for more details look in the model panel menu or in the keyboard map to see what commands are linked to those keys and check the manual.

hsuanfu
08-27-2004, 01:20 PM
no, that's still not what i'm after. There is this thing that you can separate
the edge, and the edge will become boundaries of 2 faces) There is something
similar in LW if i remember it correctly.

thanks for taking time and answering my question though :)

ThE_JacO
08-27-2004, 01:33 PM
then it's disconnect as said in the initial post.
did you actually try it?

there are only that many things you can do with an edge man, post a screenshot eventually.

hsuanfu
09-03-2004, 06:26 AM
yeah, why didn't i think of capturing a screen shot.... :eek:
Okay, here are the screenshots that i made.

First you select the edge, then you do something to it, and it'll split or be seperated
(probably more like vertex split, but you do it with edges)

Does anyone know how to do that?? or anything similar to it?

thanks~ :)
http://www.geocities.com/hsuanfu/edge1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/hsuanfu/edge2.jpg

Ablefish
09-03-2004, 07:25 AM
What did you do to create the screenshot? Did you mock that up? Because I know that disconnect won't work on a single selected edge to give you a result like that. And there really isn't any one shot command that will do anything like disconnect. So how'd you get to that point in the screenshot?

Anyways, we're still trying to figure out what exactly you want to end up with in the end. You're not talking about the Knife tool, are you?

There aren't that many 4.0 tutorials out there yet... you should be able to track it down if you did it recently.

hsuanfu
09-03-2004, 10:47 AM
I created this screenshot to let people know what i wanted to end up with.
Like i said in the beginning, i did it once and had the edge splited into two
separated polymesh, and it was somthing like the shots i just posted.

There might be more to it, but if anyone knows anything close to that , please
do let me know :)

no, it's not the knife tool.

wurp
09-03-2004, 11:09 AM
just try the disconnect components man, it doesn work on single edges like ablefish said, but it will do what you showed in the screenshot. I dont know why it doesnt work on single edges really, so try it in multiple edges......

DougNicola
09-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I think the reason it doen't work on single edges is because, from what I understand, XSI fundamentally does everything with points. With two edges, you have at least one point in the middle to actually do the disconnect. With only one edge, there is no point. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.