PDA

View Full Version : XSI 30-Day Demo Not Foundation Ver?

macman3d
08-26-2004, 12:27 AM
Was just playing with the 30 day demo of XSI. I thought this was of the XSI Foundation version, yet I am able to access and use the FX Tree compositor, the Browser view, and several other features that Softimage's site says is not in the foundation version. However, XSI Hair and Rigid Bodies has been disabled. Am I missing something?

Also, the texture editor....this IS included in the foundation version, correct? I just want to clarify what is and what is not in the foundation version. I've read the version comparison chart on Softimage's site, yet I can use many of the Advanced ver only features in this demo. Confused....

SheepFactory
08-26-2004, 12:35 AM
you can't use compositing , you can create nodes under fx tree but if you try to view from the FX viewer you'll see that its grey. So yes the 30 day demo is only foundation and only foundation features are enabled in it.

Foundation does not have the texture layer editor but that doesnt mean its incapable of making layared textures , you just need to use the rendertree like before.

macman3d
08-26-2004, 12:39 AM
So say I want to unwrap the UVs of a poly object and then work with them like Bodypaint allows you to do. Is this possible in Foundation? If not with the texture editor, then how would this be done with the rendertree?

ThE_JacO
08-26-2004, 12:45 AM
So say I want to unwrap the UVs of a poly object and then work with them like Bodypaint allows you to do. Is this possible in Foundation? If not with the texture editor, then how would this be done with the rendertree?
the texture LAYERS editor is VERY DIFFERENT from the texture editor.

the texture editor is present and full featured in all versions, the TLE is more like a simplified presentation of surfacing that fits an aera of the rendertree, and makes using and blending multiple nodes(mainly textures in a day2day use) easier for those not used to a graph based shading system like the rendertree.

macman3d
08-26-2004, 12:49 AM
ThE_JacO...thanks for clearing that up. I'm learning as I go here:D Ok, I think I've got it. Thanks.

ThE_JacO
08-26-2004, 01:18 AM
ThE_JacO...thanks for clearing that up. I'm learning as I go here:D Ok, I think I've got it. Thanks. np, I understand the 2 things can be very confusing for a non XSIuser.
check www.softimage.com (http://www.softimage.com), there's an excellent FAQ about what foundation is and isn't and what the missing things do.

P.S.
add smileys at leisure in my posts if it makes them sound less aggressive.
I'm just tired of littering my messages with hundreds of gifs, but the form really comes out too harsh, even if you only really try to make things clear and nothing else :)

macman3d
08-26-2004, 01:23 AM
Hey, no problem here...never took you as harsh at all. Glad you could help me out. I mean I know what to do.....the problem is figuring out how to do it....I'm having to translate my knowledge from C4D to XSI. Takes time, that's all :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.