PDA

View Full Version : really frusterated here...

Gary2
08-25-2004, 09:22 PM
i have to animate my char doing something by tommorow, and well, to do something as simple (or so i thought) as a good kick using freeform takes hours... and in my case it still looks bad =/

am i missing something or what. i cant believe how hard it is to animate in max 6... its just crazy so far. i would be willing to bet more then one person has thrown there computer thru a wall just trying to do this stuff:shrug:

any tips on animating? so far iv been at it and simple things like a flip seem to take forever...

SheepFactory
08-25-2004, 09:49 PM
umm...welcome to reality

animating takes time in max 6 , in xsi , in maya , in 2d , in stop motion , etc

What did you really expect?

Did you plan your poses beforehand? That would save you time rather than going the computer right away.

Gary2
08-25-2004, 11:25 PM
i rigged my guy so the vertices etc stayed where they should. then a friend helped me out with wieghting. this is the first char iv ever rigged, and the first real anim iv ever done

i went out to lunch, cleared my head. and now things are running much more smoothly.

my fencer might come up with a good 10 seconds of animation (double what is required) after all :)

Remi
08-26-2004, 12:03 AM
animation is full of highs and lows....eventually the highs out weigh the lows...and it becomes less of a task and more of a fun thing to do:) Stick with it:)

Gary2
08-26-2004, 12:09 AM
i intend to :)

iv learned that with the right setup animations can sometimes almost do themselves as far as secondary motion goes =)

thnx for the encouragment

JBarrett
08-27-2004, 02:37 PM
iv learned that with the right setup animations can sometimes almost do themselves as far as secondary motion goes =)That may be fine if you're working on a time crunch or a low budget, but for high-quality stuff, it's best to get away from too much automation. If you leave the motion to the computer it will look like...well, like you left the motion to the computer. :)

On a related note, Keith Lango just put out a new tutorial (also plugged in the tute resource thread) that might provide some insight and inspiration when it comes to this kind of thing:

http://www.keithlango.com/LeadFollow/leadFollow.htm

Remi
08-27-2004, 06:02 PM
Make sure you give him a Sunshine Bunny Hug too:D

Gary2
08-27-2004, 07:10 PM
interesting tutorial... i think il give it a try ;)

right after i stop cranking thru these photoshop tutorials that is :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.