PDA

View Full Version : is there any trick to quick succesful displacement mapping?

ant-
08-25-2004, 03:00 PM
I am trying to create the kind of very high detail images you would usually associate with fine displacement maps, I am quite capable of setting up a basic sphere for microfine diplacement mapping with mental ray. The results are perfect, but when i start applying it to models that are already quite complex, with high res 2048 square texture maps. it tends to start to crawl very quickly, i am strugelling to get the right displacemnt hieght with such slow tests, and its gerenally getting a bit annoying, Are there any tips, or workflows that speed this process up. And any rendering optimisation that i can use to particularly speed up displacement.. (except use renderman, before you say it)

slipknot66
08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
Yea im having problems with displace maps too, ive been playing with it using just spheres, but as you said when i try to apply to not too much complex object, it just dont work.Did you try to use the Displace Approximation?!

ant-
08-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Did you try to use the Displace Approximation?!no........ i'm not familier with that, i will look it up, [edit] oh yes i think i get you now, the mental ray DisplaceApprox Yes i do use that with the fine view low quality preset

i am experiementing with the height field at the moment, but not sure if i am using it correctly

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.