PDA

View Full Version : The need to know basics

DrAdamDinosaur
08-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone, another person considering to make the switch here. I am trying to learn the the XSI-HL EXP but am having troubl getting to grips with the program becuase I don't know where the simple things are. i was wondering if people could make a list of the basics that everyone should know. Things like what are the hotkeys for different selection modes(vertex/edge/etc), whats the best way to control the camera (holding the "s" key?)how do you get a window showing all the textures in a scene, easy ways to select/unselect, and anything else you consider need to know. Be very iterested to hear everyones input.

oh, and thanks in advance for helping out "just another noob"

DougNicola
08-25-2004, 04:36 PM
First, check the "cool things" sticky above. Read the whole thing. There's lots of basic stuff in there, plus some much more obscure stuff.

Second, do you have access to the tutorials? The first two (Basics of working in XSI, and Editing properties) are just packed with this basic info.

Third, just take the time to look all over everywhere in the UI, and experiment. There's really no way of getting around this, except just getting in there and playing with it!

Another fun way of seeing a lot of XSI basics, go to "Keyboard mapping.." under the File menu, and then click on the different keys to see what is mapped where. Select the Shift, Ctrl, Alt check boxes, click more, and discover more.

Also, watch the L, M, R hints at the bottom of the screen to see more of what's going on.

JDex
08-25-2004, 04:57 PM
And the Manual too.

It's a good one.

DougNicola
08-25-2004, 04:59 PM
A very very good one, actually.

SheepFactory
08-25-2004, 05:26 PM
No there is no point to reinvent the wheel. Everything you ask is already there in the first 20 pages of the manuals. You can just open up the keyboard shortcuts menu and print it as a html file and hang it in front of your desk.

DougNicola
08-25-2004, 06:18 PM
I would add that you must read, or at least thoroughly peruse, the Fundamentals manual before you can really understand how XSI works, and why.

There are so many critical things that come up again and again with noobs (like Models and Clusters) that if you haven't taken the time to learn about them, you will be operating XSI from a dangerously uninformed point of view. I mean dangerous in the sense that XSI will be doing things (or not doing things the way you want!) that will seem so unbearably frustrating and totally illogical, that you might want to scream loudly enough to scare your dog into peeing on the carpet.

But if you know what basic things are required to get what you want, it will suddenly all be incredibly simple, and breathtakingly powerful. And then you might feel like levitating a few inches above your chair, it is so exciting.

At least that's my take on being a recent XSI noob myself, and going through this process. I still make a point of periodically reviewing the Fundamentals manual just to make sure it's all sinking in, and that I'm not missing anything.

DougNicola
08-25-2004, 08:15 PM
I would also add that even after you are rock solid on the basics, there will still be things in XSI that might make you want to scream, but at least you are screaming on a higher level.

Elysian
08-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Maybe he doesn't have a manual... ahum... since asking what the shortcut keys are; isn't that the easiest thing to find in a manual?

JDex
08-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Maybe he doesn't have a manual... ahum... since asking what the shortcut keys are; isn't that the easiest thing to find in a manual?
Agreed... it's an easy HTML download... but it is not packaged with the demo, so perhaps he/she missed it and did not download it.

DrAdamDinosaur
08-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Ok, was wondering. I'll hit the soft site and have a look for the manual.

wmendez
08-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Each EXP come with electronic versions of the manuals and tutorials. Check in the following path Drive:\Softimage\XSI_EXP-for-HL2\EXPWeb

tredeger
08-26-2004, 02:38 AM
And the Manual too.

It's a good one.
Yah, I like the encylopedic thoroughness of the manual and Foundation ships with a hardcopy of the fundamentals section. What I hate though is that this very encyclopedic nature makes it taxing to digest in online form, despite the very navigable table of contents. What I want to know is this: is a HARDCOPY of the rest of the manual available anywhere? Is this something you can only get with Advanced? For my way of learning and operating, such a hardcopy would be worth its weight in man hours.

SheepFactory
08-26-2004, 02:40 AM
Yah, I like the encylopedic thoroughness of the manual and Foundation ships with a hardcopy of the fundamentals section. What I hate though is that this very encyclopedic nature makes it taxing to digest in online form, despite the very navigable table of contents. What I want to know is this: is a HARDCOPY of the rest of the manual available anywhere? Is this something you can only get with Advanced? For my way of learning and operating, such a hardcopy would be worth its weight in man hours.

You can just print the sections you are interested in. Its much cheaper than buying the manuals from the store (when they become available) , they had it for V 3.5 for $350

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.