PDA

View Full Version : Above & Beyond - vehicle/character - Kirt

Kirt
08-06-2002, 05:00 AM
Not sure what I'm going to do yet ... but my initial thought was of this article that I read many years ago.Jet Assisted Take-Off
1995 Darwin Awards Winner
Confirmed Bogus by Darwin

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SH*T."

hypercube
08-06-2002, 11:31 AM
YES! That's one of the best Darwins ever..especially it being an Impala. Almost makes me want to do the guy flying sitting in the lawn chair with his rifle and balloons tied to it.

Anyway if you do the rocket car it'd rock, but look forward to whatever you come up with..really dig the way you think :D

Russo
08-06-2002, 08:55 PM
ahhahaha man, you are crazy... I wanna see your sketch... see ya

:)

Tommy Lee
08-06-2002, 10:57 PM
Yuppiedoooooooo.....

Like Homer said: When he is so clever,... why hes dead?

Waiting for the first conzeptdrawing, and I know it will be great.
(Hehe, I like to set people under preasure:twisted: )

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Kirt
08-06-2002, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with this idea. I'll be gone on vacation all next week, so I don't have much free time this month to bat ideas around. Expect a few sketches tomorrow maybe (depends on what time I get out of work tonight). I'm digging up a few reference photos for the Impala right now.

Kirt
08-08-2002, 08:14 AM
http://www.cell2000.net/~users/kirtstanke/images/wip-aug-01.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAA!!!! Fire those retros captain!!

Here's my first sketch to get the composition going. I'm going to try and squeeze in the pilot so I can get a really psychotic expression on his face (like he's enjoying it too much). Other ideas I'm mulling around in my noggin' ...

Cameoflaged paint job on the car with USAF insignia on the hood (that thing flying off in the top left corner).

A road kill coyote or lizard picked up on the front bumper (again ... push the expression on it's poor face. it'll be saying something like "oh sh..............t")

Plastic Jesus on the dashboard or a toy Buzz Lightyear hanging from the rear-view mirror.

Tumble weeds and cactus? Seems like it wouldn't be Arizona without them. But may be difficult to make out at this altitude. :)

Anyway ... that's it for now. I don't know if I'll have another update before I take off this weekend. If not, I'll have something more complete when I get back.

:wavey:

art7sayan
08-08-2002, 08:21 AM
I got a good idea here Kirt So much details!, that's good!!! Keep workin' !!!!

...and good vacation Kirt! :wavey:

art7sayan
08-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Why did I say "I" lol ... "YOU got a good idea Kirt!" lol

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 05:12 PM
If this one turns out as good as your last entrie we're all in big trouble.
jeroentje :beer:

Kirt
08-08-2002, 06:53 PM
LOL - What are you complaining about? You didn't finish yours last month, heheheh :) I just hope I'll have enough time to finish this. No slacking off for me this month. :surprised :D

I also realized that I seem to be on a trend with these last two ... poking fun at human nature and absurtities. They're definately more fun to do than my first entry (maybe that's why I didn't finish that one?).

jeroentje
08-08-2002, 07:00 PM
LOL you got that right haha...

But I am catching up. I have posted about 6 ideas allready, but people don't seem to want to see the other 6... :shrug:

hypercube
08-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Ah I was so busy whining in jeroen's thread I missed your update :)

SWEET! The angle, composition, everything just rocks. I love the loop in the smoke and the hang of the tires.

Camouflage would be great, as long as there's at least one or two body panels in primer :D

A critter on the front would be another cool touch..maybe an armadillo?

Tumbleweeds and cactus would prolly be too far to see, maybe little ones..or how about a few in the car's "wake" like maybe they were stuck on the bumper a few frames ago, sailing off with the hood..

Anyway, yeeeeeehaa!

Kirt
08-18-2002, 07:29 AM
Uh Oh! It doesn't look as if I'm going to get to finish this one. I got some work to do and it's going to take up most of my free time the rest of this month. Sorry everyone.

I'll add more if I can, but don't count on me finishing this with color before the deadline. :annoyed:

Kirt
08-28-2002, 07:56 PM
I doubt I'll be able to finish this in time ... but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. Here's the latest update. I changed the camera angle and grounded the Impala. One, I wanted to try and show the JATO rocket a bit better and two, I think this shows more speed and acceleration over the previous image.

Granted, he's not flying at the moment ... but I think you get the impression from this image that it won't be too long before the Impala lifts from the pavement.

Comments/critiques?

Bruzundanga
08-29-2002, 03:48 AM
I think I have the smallest 'posts per month' count of the entire forum.....

:shrug:

nevermind...

great idea... love the car! Chevy rules!!!! vrum vrum..!!
:buttrock:

But I sugest you to try (if you can or wanna) to increase the size of the rocket. Look at the car.. it's big, it's imponent... it's a chevy!!!!!!!!!
It takes the attention of the whole picture for itself.
The rocket is looking kinda of an acessory.....

Just a comment...

great drawing...

One more post for me... the second this month
:applause:

Apt Pupil
08-29-2002, 04:07 AM
Yup, I certainly agree with Bruzundanga, a bigger jet engine would be better. As for the flight feeling, perhaps if you drew in a cliff, there would be no doubt, he will be flying any minute now heheheh.

Otherwise, great pencil work here:thumbsup: I can't wait to see it colored.

:beer:

Kirt
08-29-2002, 04:38 AM
I appreciate the comments guys, but I based the JATO rocket on the picture below for size and general look. Although my illustration is a cartoon image ... I like to incorporate some sense of realism in most of my work. It's a "believable absurdity" I suppose.

I was going to make the rocket resemble a cruise missle at one point (so I guess on that level I agree with you). However, I changed my mind because it didn't accurately reflect the story upon which this illustration is based.

The rocket will become a more predominant part of the image when I get to coloring it. There will be a noticable amount of flare coming from the back of the car that should challenge my weak lighting skills.

As for the flight issue ... I guess the story is as much a part of my entry as the art. Although the "pilot" of the Impala had no intention of building this thing for flight, the JATO was obviously designed for this purpose. :D

Oh ... and for those who are interested, another rocket car story to amuse you. (http://www.bored.com/rocketcar/)

Kirt
08-31-2002, 09:55 AM
My last update before the >crash<
I cleaned up my sloppy pencil work and will be starting colors this weekend.

jeroentje
08-31-2002, 10:38 AM
As mentioned B4: :xtreme:

Kirt
09-01-2002, 12:07 AM
Started colors ... as promised. ;)

Kirt
09-01-2002, 07:41 AM
Hey, I might actually finish this ... :eek:

earl
09-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Yes! I love it. I hope you do finish it. The background is awesome, especially the blurred sparks, gives the scene lots of energy... which is appropriate for a JATO powered car.

Kirt
09-02-2002, 07:12 PM
FIRE - SPARKS - SMOKE - Reflections ... someone shoot me. :hmm:
I tried this about 3 different ways now and this is the best I've been able to do so far. I'm still working on putting some flames on the front brake drums. Then I'll finish beating up the car. :scream:

Gamoron
09-03-2002, 03:08 AM
that is coming along SO nicely Kirt! Beautiful colours so far. I think you should go back to the 1st background though. I like the look of dawn.

Kirt
09-03-2002, 04:43 AM
Hmmmm ... I liked it too, but it kinda washes out the flame from the JATO. Don't you think?

Sleepless
09-03-2002, 05:59 AM
Impala power!:beer:

jeroentje
09-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Did I tell you you rock? Yes? Okay, I'll shut up...

Btw, I showed my father your Rascal entrie from last month and he fell of his chair laughing.
The Force of Humor runs strong in my family...

Najd
09-03-2002, 01:55 PM
Youuuuuuuuuuuuu ROCK :buttrock:

Gamoron
09-03-2002, 02:08 PM
No I don't think it does Kirt. the contrast might not be as great but... I just feel there was more feeling given to the original setting. It felt to me crisp, just like a cool morning out in the desert. Not that I'd really know, but it put me there I swear and the second one kinda took me out.:thumbsup:

AJ
09-03-2002, 08:45 PM
You are my idea hero...

I've nearly pmp laughing at both your challenge entries...

that guys expression is so, so.. so perfectly funny - oh jesus my eyes are watering! :D

Kirt
09-03-2002, 10:11 PM
LOL - well, I'm glad you all are getting a kick out of this. It's certainly enjoyable to work on. :D I got a pretty funny idea for the cyborg mini-contest too. I'll get to that pretty soon. It's only a rough sketch at the moment. :wip:

Kirt
09-05-2002, 09:59 PM
I just have a few little things left to do with this ... but it's pretty much done. Unless, anyone has a wonderful suggestion to make this better. :D

jeroentje
09-05-2002, 10:07 PM
Like a dead deer on the hood?
edit - ... or some dice hanging from the mirror?

Kirt
09-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Hehehehe ... I think he lost the rearview mirror about a quarter mile back. :D

Gamoron
09-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Lookin GRRRRRREEAAATTTT! I'm glad you went with that version of the background. I don't think you can add anything, although maybe a little narrative thingy like in comics?

The speed kept increasing and he made pudding in his pants.

stipen
09-06-2002, 04:30 PM
That simply great!!!
I love it!

I thank you for this !!BRAVO
:thumbsup:

Kirt
09-06-2002, 07:36 PM
I was going to add some more primer patches to the rear quarter panel, but I'm just running out of time. Here's my final image. I'll have to upload a high-rez image later (can't do it right now).

My favorite part of this update is the street sign. Hehehehe. It's kind of blurred but I think you can just make out the 35 mph limit. All those little extra details will probably show better on the high-rez when I upload it.

Thanks again for everyone's comments/suggestions. This was another fun challenge! Can't wait for the next one. Oh wait ... I gotta do my cyborg first.

Cheers everyone! :beer:

Rudity
09-06-2002, 09:12 PM
HAHA kirt i love it.

I like this 2d challenge forum. its cool.
Ive been itching to enter a challenge but the 3d ones take up to much time away from my reel. I sketch at home occasionaly so maybe ill enter the next months 2d one. :p
HUGE MAYBE!!

see you guys around. :beer:

:wavey:

Kirt
09-06-2002, 11:00 PM
Maybe? Aw come on ... if you can pick up a pencil, pen, crayon or whatever, you have to enter the 2D challenges! We get no luvin' (by comparison to the 3D numbers). The more the merrier I say!
:bounce:2D RULZ!:bounce:

Tommy Lee
09-07-2002, 02:54 AM
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESPECT DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

Damn funny gimmiks ya got there:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee

Kirt
09-07-2002, 02:59 AM
Hey Tommy Lee! Welcome back man! Dig through the 2D forum, someone had a question about tatoos last week. I refered them to you.

Tommy Lee
09-07-2002, 03:13 AM
Hey Kirt!

See under my challenge entrie: There is the reason why I was offline for so long.
And I will browse for that tattoo thread.

Laterz

DXtreme
09-09-2002, 12:41 AM
gentleman start your engine...aahhhhhhhhhhhhh
great idea..very funny and of course very good painting!

:buttrock: :buttrock:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.