PDA

View Full Version : Free 7 part video tutorial -Akira Bike-

olblue
08-24-2004, 02:59 PM
Dave Davidson (www.max3d.org (http://www.max3d.org)), top cg bloke and nice guy has made for us a tutorial to build the Akira Bike end to end. Suitable for new and intermediate C4D users, this tutorial will how to create the entire bike, texture it up and get it ready for rendering.

http://www.3d-palace.com/crisimages/akira.jpg

http://www.3d-palace.com/video.php?vid=52

Note you will have to register (free) to download and these are big files, approx 400 megs in total. You can register via the forums on the site. Remember to click "keep me logged in" or you will be unable to download. Also the codec we use is the TSCC codec from Techsmith. Url is http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/codecdownload.asp. Grab it and install before playing and remember to use an up to date version of media player.

Hope you enjoy, and thanks Dave for making this for us.

cris
3d-palace.com

R1PPER
08-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Wow Thanks Dude.

Dont suppose someone can convert these files to Mac friendly format.

acmepixel
08-24-2004, 04:08 PM
looks interesting. But can't download anything (yes I registered). I get about 40K downloaded then it stalls, regardless of which tutorial link I choose. I have 512k cable. Busy server?

(the downloader.exe does Mac users no good)

adeptus minor
08-24-2004, 04:23 PM
I am having problems too.

olblue
08-24-2004, 04:48 PM
From various users comments on the forums things to look out for are;

1. Dont use the downloader unless you are on a 56k. Its still in beta and a bit crap.

2. Turn off firewalls for the 3d-palace

3. Turn off popup blockers

4. Download managers will not work with our system, its an anti leech thing.

any other problems just let me know via the contact us area on the top bar of the site and I will try and resolve them. Its easier than bogging down cgtalk with help requests ;)

adeptus minor
08-24-2004, 05:00 PM
still not working. the second file opens with no sound and so far none of the rest open at all.
I downloaded some other tutorials from the website and they all open and play with no problems

Is there a ref picture of the akira bike used in the tutorial?

R1PPER
08-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Its not looking good for ibook downloading this later...and the site looks like it's got some quality content. :banghead:

I cant even register at the moment...as im getting error messages :banghead:

olblue
08-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Ah

I was now informed (I am not a mac user or a C4D user) that C4d is a massive mac app as well as a pc app. I will therefore make a mov conversion for Mac users over the next couple of days so that it will work on your machines. Sorry about that.

Cris

R1PPER
08-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the Mac conversion. Another thing ive logged in and it sends me to the forums and then i go back to tutorials and im logged out again...not sure if this is a MAC thing...but i can't download these vids for love nor money.

adeptus minor
08-24-2004, 06:55 PM
I finally got the files to download, I just had to keep trying thats the trick. Wont the files play on a mac if you use the windows media player for mac or if you use VPC? I am a mac user as well but I have a pc at work that I am downloading them on. where do you download the reference pictures of kaneda's bike

Thank you so much for the tutorials very usefull I love akira.

R1PPER
08-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Just letting you now that these files DO play on my mac but ive installed DIVX...from downloads.net. Still cant get more than 48k to download...gonna try some more....PS if anyone grabs the blueprints can they post them here..thanks

WOOHOO...the trick is to keep trying at 56k....5th time lucky :applause:

olblue
08-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Its a relief that they are playing on the max, the mov format is a nightmare for conversion for screencap, takes ages. I've never had to deal with mac users coming primarily from a PC Max / Maya / XSI base so I will take this into consideration and arrange to get something sorted out with the site coder. In the meantime enjoy the tutorials and time for a gin.

Cris

R1PPER
08-24-2004, 08:12 PM
One last thing...at 3.30 in the Vid, Dave uses an edge tool..is this mesh surgery as i cant find it...and don't own mesh surgery.

adeptus minor
08-24-2004, 08:16 PM
The building tutorial for cinema is good as well I would love to see more of those maybe as big as the akira one.

Again thank you I love video tutorials so much more then books and trial and error but the latter is inevitalble:D

adeptus minor
08-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Just letting you now that these files DO play on my mac but ive installed DIVX...from downloads.net. Still cant get more than 48k to download...gonna try some more....PS if anyone grabs the blueprints can they post them here..thanks

WOOHOO...the trick is to keep trying at 56k....5th time lucky :applause:

You are able to watch video 3 and on because I cant on my mac with divx or vtc

adeptus minor
08-24-2004, 10:45 PM
One last thing...at 3.30 in the Vid, Dave uses an edge tool..is this mesh surgery as i cant find it...and don't own mesh surgery.

Yes he is using MS he opens its pref I just caught that. I have finished watching the first 2 but I cant watch the rest because they wont play :banghead:

olblue
08-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Sorry guys, I looked it up and what happened is that the first two were encoded with the DivX codec, the remainder with an MS Legacy codec in an avi wrapper. They are being recoded so please allow 24 hours for them to be re-processed and I apologise for the misundeerstanding.

Cris

adeptus minor
08-24-2004, 11:54 PM
thank you so much I love the first 2 cant wait for the rest. Will you be able to do the same for the building tutorial? that one is very good as well. :D

acmepixel
08-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Hi olblue, I'm on a Mac and the downloads work fine now. Also the Divx encoded .avi's playback fine.

Comment: I like the clean site design. Looks like an interesting site. will have to explore more. :thumbsup:

Note to Mac users, using Safari; on the first download attempt, stop the download before the timeout. Then restart the download. seems to work fine. :)

adeptus minor
08-25-2004, 12:53 AM
I had no problems downloading the files on my mac but not on the pc
acmepixel are you saying you are able to watch them all? because I cant. what are you playing them with

R1PPER
08-25-2004, 07:33 AM
On a side note....instead of mesh surgery when he uses the Edge tools are there an equivelent in R9 Demo...thanks

acmepixel
08-25-2004, 02:27 PM
I had no problems downloading the files on my mac but not on the pc
acmepixel are you saying you are able to watch them all? because I cant. what are you playing them with

only the divx encoded ones.

adeptus minor
08-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Olblue did you get a chance to divx encode the rest of them?

olblue
08-27-2004, 03:30 PM
my main hombre Jon is working on them at the moment, the main issue is a size one however because divX and mov are a lot larger than tscc and without some serious messing about it will be a massive file download ("so what" some may say, however if you have 100 people downloading a set of files thats 100 megs bigger in total than it was, thats an extra 10,000 megs)

Anyway, working on it as fast as possible and you havent been forgotten!

Cris
3d-p

R1PPER
08-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi olblue....we don't need them in MOV you just need to encode the rest the same as you did the first 2....as these play on a Mac just fine.

Xplorer
08-27-2004, 11:55 PM
Can hardly wait until everything is fixed, sounds a cool video to me!

anibalin
08-28-2004, 03:33 AM
i quote xplorer| thanks in advance :)

Rich-Art
08-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Thnks for the video files.
I downloaded them all, the total size of all the files is 245mb, is this correct?
You say in the first post, that this video's covers all, from first start to texturing?
But at the end of the the last video (nr7), there is no texture at all?
Or did I missed somthing?
And i don't hear any sound, or is there no sound at all?

Peace,
RichArt. ;-)

R1PPER
08-28-2004, 05:42 PM
Good point...are PC users getting sound on these files as they play silent on my IBOOK.

adeptus minor
08-28-2004, 07:59 PM
They are supposed to be silent as far as I know in one of his other tutorials it says that there is no sould becuase it so easy to follow. And I didnt notice any texturing portion of the dvd when I watched it at work on our pc there. I cant wait to watch it at home since no C4D at work boo hoo

adeptus minor
09-02-2004, 02:37 PM
any progress yet for divx encoding for us apple heads?

Daitoku
09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
I think it might just be the wrapper you mentioned but according to this page:
http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp

This will enable mac users to view the TSSC codec.

Thanks for the tutorials.

DT

PS. Most of the files still do not play even with the above file installed.

adeptus minor
09-02-2004, 05:22 PM
PS. Most of the files still do not play even with the above file installed.
Bummer. I will give it a try any way. Thanks for the link

davedavidson
09-03-2004, 07:51 AM
hi there
pleased you like the vid tut
sorry there is no sound
texturing tut will follow
im currently trying to decide what to show in the nex model tut so stay tuned for that

i thought i didnt you mesh surgery as it needed my serial for it, so i just used c4ds modelling tools without plugins. i will watch the tut and see

sorry for the codec issues

once again thanks for the response to the tuts

R1PPER
09-03-2004, 09:07 AM
What would be really cool....if you redid this Tut with sound in R9 using only the built in tools...and encoded it using a standard divx codec....that would be awsome. :bounce:

PS...and suplied a suport file with the blue prints.

davedavidson
09-03-2004, 10:28 AM
and me to come over and make you teas and food :)
what do you want for free :)
i will do the next one in v9 i think
and i will only use c4d no plugins although im pretty sure that i did this in the last one and i checked this morning too
i dont think i will remake this one though i might just do another model of something else
any ideas feel free to message me on msn ; davidson001@aol.com

stay tuned for more :D

adeptus minor
09-03-2004, 02:12 PM
and me to come over and make you teas and food :)
what do you want for free :)
i will do the next one in v9 i think
and i will only use c4d no plugins although im pretty sure that i did this in the last one and i checked this morning too
i dont think i will remake this one though i might just do another model of something else
any ideas feel free to message me on msn ; davidson001@aol.com

stay tuned for more :D
Well if you are offering I would like a watercrest sandwich with the crust cut off and a cup of earl grey with 2 lumps of polygons. But really is there any way you can just upload the scene files couldlnt be that hard? its a great tutorial otherwise but nothing to follow along with well I cant really do much since I can only watch the first two. I know you cant please every one but its your fault for making such a interesting tutorial:D by the way I dont think its that complicated to follow along if he is using MS since the tools he is using as far as I can tell you can simulate with R9.

davedavidson
09-03-2004, 03:00 PM
upload the scene files too, ohhhh free model give away at the dd house hold too is it
i will dig out the photos of the bike and post them here so u have somethign to follow

im 100% pos i didnt use ms on this bike as i havent activated it yet so every thing can be done with just c4d as i did
version 9 looks promising and i will be doing some tuts in it and some might even have sound
whhhhoooo hoooooo
:)
stay tuned for the photos

davedavidson
09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
hi there again
well here are the photos i used and also the texture decals i made for the project
now can someone make me some food and a drink please :)

www.max3d.org/upload/akira_refs.rar (http://www.max3d.org/upload/akira_refs.rar)

hope this helps

take care

adeptus minor
09-03-2004, 09:28 PM
hi there again
well here are the photos i used and also the texture decals i made for the project
now can someone make me some food and a drink please :)

www.max3d.org/upload/akira_refs.rar (http://www.max3d.org/upload/akira_refs.rar)

hope this helps

take care
thanks for the ref photos
:bounce:

R1PPER
09-06-2004, 05:05 PM
As for a new Tut....how about the space shuttle with animated cargo doors....cause i saw one in lightwave and thought it looked really cool.

davedavidson
09-06-2004, 05:12 PM
have u got the link for that shuttle tutorial, might be worth a go

R1PPER
09-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Sorry _dd.... all i saw was an image of a wireframe shuttle in 3Dworlds Lightwave 8 review. But that was cool and i wondered....how do they do that. I added the animation bit as a bit extra...as you can never have enough simple animation tutorials. :)

davedavidson
09-06-2004, 05:23 PM
i shall go look see
and then hunt some blueprints down
i will let you know

adeptus minor
09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
any luck getting the akira one divx encoded? :hmm:

R1PPER
09-07-2004, 10:42 AM
_dd....another great Tut would be a ARAI motorbike helmet....i had a go and it ended nothing like what it should have...but i still had fun. Would like to be able to model it properly.

adeptus minor
09-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Make it for mac make it for mac make it for mac :argh:

acmepixel
09-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Make it for mac make it for mac make it for mac :argh:

3D Palace caters to MAX users. Since MAX is PC only they have little interest in Mac compatiblity. They didn't even know that C4D is cross platform. :cry:

adeptus minor
09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
3D Palace caters to MAX users. Since MAX is PC only they have little interest in Mac compatiblity. They didn't even know that C4D is cross platform. :cry:

2 of the files are divx encoded so mac users are able to watch those. There was talk about encoding the rest just being a little impatient. :D

olblue
09-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Hey guys. Sorry it took so long to get back to you on the mac conversion. All the tutorials in the Cinema 3d Akira Bike set are all now Mac compatible via the magic of DivX. You are right that it didnt occur to us about the dual format needed. Usually with Max, XSI et all this is not an issue.

Anyway, there are now 12 parts up there at http://www.3d-palace.com/video.php?vid=52 . Remember that you do need to be a registered member, which is free of course and no spam included. www.3d-palace.com/forums and click register. When you are regged remember to click "Keep me logged in" when you log in, we need that cookie to authenticate you in the queue.

Its DivX codec. You all know it I assume. Again sorry for the delay in the conversion and kudos to the Davester.

Cris

acmepixel
09-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Great news, Thanks for all the effort. :)

adeptus minor
09-24-2004, 02:36 PM
YESSS! off to work. is the the building tutorial divx encoded too?

olblue
09-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Not yet however thanks for reminding me, I will get onto it this weekend.

adeptus minor
09-24-2004, 06:42 PM
Not yet however thanks for reminding me, I will get onto it this weekend.damn I am going to busy this weekend thanks for that I saw the tutorial on a friends pc its very good I need lots of help with lighting and this one looks like it will help

rizon
10-03-2004, 10:07 PM
the invicta tut for 3d studio max looks also interesting! thanks great link.

CGTalk Moderation
01-19-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.